Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jettoblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
(sorry for re-posting this but the original post in the OSX forum got no replies after a week so I thought I'd try here)

Hey everyone, another quick question from someone who doesn't own a Mac yet but is thinking about switching. :)

Full-screen video mirroring refers to the ability to play back a video file in a window on your desktop but have it appear full-screen (or letterboxed if the aspect ratio differs) on the secondary display. Currently in Windows I use this feature a LOT for presentations, editing video, and watching DVDs/webcasts on the TV while working or surfing on my primary monitor. Note that this isn't the same as just moving the video player over to the secondary screen and making it full-screen. For example, during a presentation I might not be facing the projection screen, so I need to see the video in a window (so I can also see my notes, etc.) on the primary screen too.

One of my frustrations with Windows is that both Nvidia and ATI have seemingly abandoned this feature, and even though its been around and working fine for ages in XP, it isn't available (or working properly) in Vista. Also, for some reason the latest XP drivers from both companies cause a lot of problems with wrong aspect ratios and broken overlays and the like, and downgrading to older drivers isn't always an option. I read that Nvidia has posted on their forums that this feature won't even be available in the GPU starting with the 8xxx series, which is a huge disappointment for me (if its true).

If you could confirm that Macs (specifically a MBP) support this feature, that would be great news. If it isn't supported out-of-the-box, does anyone know of a way to enable it or a similar function?

Thanks! :D

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Yes it is a part of keynote and it can be done. It allows you to see your slides on you MBP and on your secondary display only the slides themselves are shown.

jettoblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Ok so it works with Keynote and that's good to know, but usually I'm just showing a video file and not a powerpoint/keynote-type presentation. In windows, this works with any video player: Media Player, QuickTime, Real, DVD player, flash (YouTube/etc.). Anything that uses overlay can play in a window on your desktop and be mirrored full-screen on the secondary display. Is there anything similar on the Mac for playing video files? Thanks!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
QuickTime Pro Lets You assign which screen to play in full screen

I don't know how it works in Keynote. But in QuickTime Pro you can assign which of two NON-Mirrored displays it will play in full screen. But it isn't mirrored on your display in that case. I never use Mirror mode but I GUESS it would play full screen on both if you were in mirror mode.

ccy

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2007
Although i am not using mac, i came across this site and found the same problem.

I am using 8600GT and i am really considering sellings/returning this card for a 7600GT or 7900GT. These cards are about the same price(even cheaper), but the g8600 is better and also support DX10. I really want to work/surf on my primaire screen and watch a movie on the secend screen. (or let someone else enjoy a movie while i am working on my other display., isnt this what Dual core is about? just purchased this videocard with AMD X2)

I could enjoy this at my old computer with Geforce 5200 with clone mode... why isnt this possible with 8600?

btw did you found a alternative programm? (or should i really buy other card? or maybe ...Radeon series? do they support it?)

chuckienorton

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
video mirroring fullscreen!

In windows, this works with any video player: Media Player, QuickTime, Real, DVD player, flash (YouTube/etc.). Anything that uses overlay can play in a window on your desktop and be mirrored full-screen on the secondary display.

Oh, man, I've been wanting this! I used to have nvidia on pc, and this feature is great. Anyone know how to do it now with leopard?? (There's gotta be a way to do it, using same tech as screen capture software or something similar??)

Any ideas??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.