Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several individuals who ordered the Apple TV early have noticed that today (March 12th) their credit cards have been charged the full amount for their Apple TV order. No shipping notices have yet been issued and the "ship date" on the order status page still reflects a March 20th shipping date. A discussion thread at Apple also reflects these happenings.

Retail Apple stores are expecting their Apple TV shipments by the 20th or 21st for display to the public.

The Apple TV was original scheduled for shipment in February but was delayed until "mid-March".

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I started a thread on this earlier. Anyway, I had reason to call Apple about this earlier today, and was told specifically that AppleTVs are shipping March 20th, but I was also told that my card wouldn't be charged until my order shipped. It was charged just an hour or two later. So we'll see...

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
This is great news! I can't wait to start reading the reviews. Oh yeah... and the unboxing photos... [drool]...

Will the Apple TV really "change the way we watch TV?" Time will tell.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
How long will it take to download a movie in 720p?

At the 5Mbps the AppleTV supports? A bloody long time I would think.

A DVD converted to AppleTV format via Quicktime kept it's native resolution and was encoded at 2.5Mbps in H.264 and it was massive.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
AppleTV is the only viable option right now for savvy consumers who want to view their high definition home movies on their HD sets.

I'll buy the moment it comes out. I did some test exporting some HDV footage to AppleTV 720p video and it looks really good. I'm excited by this.

Schill359

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
AppleTV Charged tonight at 8:00 EST

My AppleTV that I ordered in mid-January has been charged to my credit card as well. After the announcement of the delayed shipping last month, I called Apple and switched the shipping to overnight for free due to the delay. Now I'll have the AppleTV by Wednesday at 10:30 AM.

Bring on the 720P! I'd probably even pay a dollar more. The quality of some of the tv shows on iTunes leaves a lot to be desired.

Thank you Apple!

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
Why doesn't Apple offer a 1080p version of :apple:tv at a premium price? People who spent lots of money on a nice true 1080p TV probably won't mind, as long as it works...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
At the 5Mbps the AppleTV supports? A bloody long time I would think.

A DVD converted to AppleTV format via Quicktime kept it's native resolution and was encoded at 2.5Mbps in H.264 and it was massive.

I have 6MBPS broadband so I am right...if they actually decide to sell these downunder

sonofpismo

macrumors regular
May 20, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Me too!

My account was pre-charged as well. Usually this would mean shipping with 3 business days (the charge will fall off if not finally authorized by then).

Also, Next Day shipping does not mean one should expect it literally the next day. Many Apple items come IP Direct Distribution from China. (Usually a 3 day transit time for me here on the east coast.)

ntg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2002
UK - Rushden, Northants
as far as I remember, it is illegal to charge a credit-card in the UK until the goods actually ship from the company.

now, I haven't checked my credit-card, but if someone in the Uk sees a charge from Apple then it does indeed mean they are about to leave the factory..

here's hoping!!:cool:

nig.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
AppleTV is the only viable option right now for savvy consumers who want to view their high definition home movies on their HD sets.

And that is.. because you say so or because Steve Jobs said so?
The XBox 360 also supports HD streaming (WMV HD), btw.
But.. oh, I forgot.. if you buy it you haven't got much SAVVY!

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
And that is.. because you say so or because Steve Jobs said so?
Because Steve is our saviour and his word is golden. :)
The XBox 360 also supports HD streaming (WMV HD), btw.
But.. oh, I forgot.. if you buy it you haven't got much SAVVY!
I'm not a gamer, will never own an Xbox and I'm not really interested in anything to do with MS or WMV.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'm not a gamer, will never own an Xbox and I'm not really interested in anything to do with MS or WMV.
I'm not a gamer either, but have the Xbox 360 because it's a much more capable Media Center Extender than an Apple TV.

Not liking MS doesn't justify pretending that they don't exist.

zeppiecr

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
I know there isn't currently any 720 content from itunes and I'm sure there would be eventually, but I wish they would have some 1080p content one day. I'm sure it would take months to download but it would solve my HDDVD or bluray dillema

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Order has been pre charged too!

attachment.php

Ship baby, ship!

Attachments

• charged.jpg
    charged.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3,995

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's all kicking off now! I'd be interested to see how these go, but no SCART output? No buy from me :(

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004

I'll buy the moment it comes out. I did some test exporting some HDV footage to AppleTV 720p video and it looks really good. I'm excited by this.

Er, how are you recording HD home movies? Presumably whatever is recording them can play them back, no?

Anyways, we'll see how the AppleTV does, but I'm not really sure it's going to be a smash success like the iPod is. It seems a bit limited, and the pricing of the whole thing is off, for me. $300 for the box. $2 for TV shows, maybe more if they go HD. $10+ for movies, no rental (which I maintain is a mistake).

TiVo has pledged to produce a more affordable HD recorder this year, so assuming they can get down to that $300 price (from the $700 it is now) you could get an HD DVR that plays back purchased AND rented content (via Amazon) and had a terrific UI (TiVo's UI is one of the best, although it has stagnated in the last few years). Amazon could EASILY launch an HD TV and movie service to go with the new TiVo HD DVR as well.

The 360, as mentioned, has plans to offer more streaming premium media, and does at least an adequate job of it (I've not used it, so I can't say if it's a great setup or not... but it at minimum gets the job done).

We'll see, but I think Apple needs to do something that separates it from the pack if they are going to succeed here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.