Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
My university is selling (what they advertise as) a dual 500MHz G4 PowerMac, with 512MB RAM and 4GB HDD. I didn't realize Apple made such a model. Cost is $230.

I'd like to have a computer for light-work stuff, web surfing and word processing; I'd also like to store my iTunes music and all my videos on there and stream it over a network.

Is this a good price? Will the computer run Tiger (Leopard?) and perform the relatively basic tasks I'd like it to? The school says it supports an Airport card; is this true?

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it. Thanks.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
My university is selling (what they advertise as) a dual 500MHz G4 PowerMac, with 512MB RAM and 4GB HDD. I didn't realize Apple made such a model. Cost is $230.

I'd like to have a computer for light-work stuff, web surfing and word processing; I'd also like to store my iTunes music and all my videos on there and stream it over a network.

Is this a good price? Will the computer run Tiger (Leopard?) and perform the relatively basic tasks I'd like it to? The school says it supports an Airport card; is this true?

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it. Thanks.

That's not a bad machine for some basic use. You could easily web surf, do photo editing, music management/playback (iTunes), Word/Excel, etc. Pretty much what you will want to avoid is video work and heavy photo work that involves lots of filters on high res images, etc (but even intermediate photo work should be fine).

I'd recommend going to 1gb of RAM for Tiger, and of course a larger HDD, both cheap and easy to upgrade. Pretty good price for a DP machine w/ 512mb RAM.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
The Gigabit Ethernet models were available with a stock DP 500, but those cpu cards could be transplanted into the Sawtooths with a Uni-7 mobo.....been there, done that :)

and by the time the Sawtooths & GE models were out, 4GB HDDs were already antiques.........and 10/20/40/60gb's were becoming standard

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
The funny thing is, I work within the department that is selling the computer, so I thought I'd have an in. I went and asked if prices were firm, and I was told usually not, but they were with the Macs. I was told they intentionally marked this one up by $40, because people will pay 10%-20% more for a Mac.

So even if it is a good deal, I feel like I'm getting ripped off...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.