Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 14, 2007, 03:24 AM   #1
Simin
macrumors newbie

coffee spill on ibook...

I spilt coffee on my i book last night I immeadiately pulled out the power supply and took out the battery. I turned it upside down and called a 'pc' guy I know. I'm currently living in a remote country location and I can't get my lap top to an authorized Mac service centre. So, I took my Mac to the 'pc' guy, he opened it up and cleaned it out. He used some sort of gel that was in a syringe, he told me it was motherboard fluid cleaner? He proceeded to clean the motherboard with a tooth brush...wierd! Anyway...as luck would have it 2 hours later, the thing actually worked! He told me he has to keep it overnight and let it dry out. I was just wondering if the guy has done any further damage to my Mac (although I did the original damage!) Also, how much should I pay him for his services?

Last edited by Simin; Mar 14, 2007 at 03:30 AM.
Simin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 01:45 PM   #2
seniorstinky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simin View Post
I spilt coffee on my i book last night I immeadiately pulled out the power supply and took out the battery. I turned it upside down and called a 'pc' guy I know. I'm currently living in a remote country location and I can't get my lap top to an authorized Mac service centre. So, I took my Mac to the 'pc' guy, he opened it up and cleaned it out. He used some sort of gel that was in a syringe, he told me it was motherboard fluid cleaner? He proceeded to clean the motherboard with a tooth brush...wierd! Anyway...as luck would have it 2 hours later, the thing actually worked! He told me he has to keep it overnight and let it dry out. I was just wondering if the guy has done any further damage to my Mac (although I did the original damage!) Also, how much should I pay him for his services?
The fact that you turned it upside down, pulled the power supply and the battery is likely the reason why the system is working.

There are electronic component cleaners but I know of no one that uses them on a motherboard.

The toothbrush *could* damage things if enough pressure was applied (or you had something just waiting to break), although I would necessarily assume this was the case.

I'd say it's unlikely that he did anything to really solve the issue, although you have used up his time. I'd pay him for the 2 hours that he took it apart and "cleaned" it out.

I don't know how much he charges for that time but based on his solution, I'd seriously question any high dollar amount. If you asked me for an exact number, no more than $100 US (although that really seems high based on his methods).

Did he remove the internal battery from the system before using this cleaner? If not, he could have caused a short.
seniorstinky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Luigi239
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Luigi239
Well, if it works, your lucky. Hopefully it isn't too sticky. Was this guy a friend? I wouldnt pay him too much if he was, but maybe 20-50$ either way.
Luigi239 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Nukemkb
macrumors 6502a

Pay? Nothing to trade him for his "help"? I'd certainly try to pay him with goods first...
Old Mar 15, 2007, 04:43 AM   #5
Simin
macrumors newbie

Further problems...

Thank you for your advice guys
I called the guy today, he told me that he needs to replace a transistor or something? He said that it shorted. I asked him if he took out the internal battery, as you suggested. He totally flipped out and told me he knew what he was doing, he said it's not necessary to take out the internal battery as you will loose vital info...go figure! Anyway, he proceeded to tell me, to give the Mac to the person who gave me the great advice! The nerve...grrrrr! He still has my Mac at his workshop. He asked for 100 euro for the job. Help i need to save my baby...
Simin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 06:02 AM   #6
neyoung
macrumors member

Does the machine still work? If so then replacing any components seems a bit out there. If its not working and you don't know him personally I'd get my machine back from him. Then call Apple and see what your options are. Unless hes a certified Apple technician I'd imagine that he's voiding the warranty or something, especially if he's planning on soldering something onto your motherboard.
neyoung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:13 PM   #7
mikegta
macrumors newbie

I knew it is late but I hope you didn't pay that guy anything. I have worked as a computer tech and electronic repair for 9 years. If he needs to replace a transistor then the bill will be at least $500 dollars, that is why no one does it, it is almost impossible to find which transistor is shorted. Not impossible ok, but just take 3 to 4 days of work. Still, if you didn't have salt in your coffee and it is dry now then you are fine. There is no way that you need a transistor replaced. If he charged you any money then you should file a small courts clam or threaten to him you will and get your money back.
I have worked as a computer tech and electronic repair for 9 years
-Mike
mikegta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 08:41 AM   #8
ihabime
macrumors 6502

Late? this thread is over a year old, that's a bit more than late
ihabime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 05:57 PM   #9
muldul
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to muldul
Lucky for you, looks like it may be fine, but then again it may not be and it may break shortly after turning it on
iPod Nano 16GB (5th Gen)
muldul is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs