Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calculus

Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Sometimes when I put my iPod on to 'shuffle songs' it comes up with a perfect selection to suit my mood.

So I thought it would be interesting to let it take control and post the first five songs it comes up with together with some comments about them. so here goes...

There's No Home For You Here - The White Stripes

Well, that's a great start. I love everything that Jack and Meg have ever done. From the Elephant album.

Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor - Gillian Welch

This reminded me that I have not listened to Gillian for a while. This is from the Soul Journey album and is one of my favourite songs of hers.

Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

An absolute classic right from that first hit on the drums. At times it sounds like it's about to fall apart but somehow it just keeps going. Fantastic. One of the best singles of all time.

Welcome To The Working Week - Elvis Costello

Side one, track one (in old money) from the first Elvis album. I still play this one a lot. It sounds fresh to my ears even after all these years.

An Harangue - Art & Language and Red Crayola

From a recent purchase (Rough Trade Shops Counter Culture 76) and one I'm not that familiar with yet. I don't know what I think of this one just yet.

Well that wasn't too bad.

I invite you to do the same, put your iPod on 'shuffle songs' (or your iTunes on 'Party Shuffle') and tell us what the first five songs are. No cheating!

dnordstrom

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2007
Amsterdam
Vonda Shepard - Someone You Use
A cute girl with a great voice is a winning combination. Soundtrack of Ally McBeal.

Laleh - Hide Away
Also great voice, real talent. Deep lyrics, which I like. This song has a history with me.

Tori Amos - Crucify
A personal favourite as I love her voice and lyrics.

Uno Svenningsson - Under Ytan
Swedish modern classic. Also deep lyrics about the darkness of todays society.

12 Stones - Let Go
I have no idea what this song is doing on my iPod.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Midnight Train To Georgia - Gladys Night & The Pips
I haven't listened to this song for a good year, and I'd forgotten what a fantastic piece of music it is! I'm gonna be digging out all my dad's old soul records tomorrow evening now.

Chicken In a Box - Mr Scruff
Couldn't be more different from the first song. Overly stretched out, one of Mr Scruff's lesser songs IMO.

Hairy Trees - sniffies
Great song. First time I've listened to it with the new stereo, and it sounds really really great.

Equinoxe, Part 2 - Jean Michel Jarre
Off one of the best albums ever IMO, amazing to think he recorded the whole thing with a 4 track.

Porcelain - Moby
Again, another great piece of music, the highlight of Play, IMO.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Good idea for a thread.

It Overtakes Me - The Flaming Lips
From 'At War With the Mystics'. Not the best song on the album, but still great. One of my favourite bands

Treebeard - Howard Shore
From LOTR:The Two Towers soundrack. I actually prefer the soundtrack to the third film because of the way all the themes he introduced over the previous two are reintroduced and varied.

Walking Spanish - Tom Waits
From 'Rain Dogs'. There isn't a duff song on this album - it is his best by a long shot.

How to Disappear Completely - Radiohead
From 'Kid A'. A massive change in sound after OK Computer, but an interesting experiment

Carnival - Tom Waits
From 'The Black Rider'. Hmm - another Tom Waits song, which is a pretty fair assessment of my listening habits. This is from a play he wrote with William Burroughs, which I saw in London a couple of years ago, with Mariann Faithful playing the role of the devil. Very good.

All in all, came up with some good songs (and god knows there is some crud on my iPod which could have come up :D )

calculus

Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Walking Spanish - Tom Waits
From 'Rain Dogs'. There isn't a duff song on this album - it is his best by a long shot.

I love this song (and indeed the whole album) and recently included it on a compilation CD I made for a couple of friends. This could also be my favourite album of his (although of course there are many to choose from). The recent bawlers/brawlers/bastards box set is also terrific.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Good idea for a thread.
How to Disappear Completely - Radiohead
From 'Kid A'. A massive change in sound after OK Computer, but an interesting experiment

One of my favourite songs off one of my favourite albums! +1 respeck

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
OK, I'll do it. But be forewarned, I have some scary stuff on here.:eek:

Kiss On - Tyler Hilton
I have no godly clue...I think that that was an impulse thing. I thought the title sounded interesting, so on the iPod it went.
You and Me - Lifehouse
Haven't listened to this in a while...made me forget that this isn't exactly a bad song. I should listen to it more.
Better Days - Goo Goo Dolls
This reminds me, there's a Goo Goo Dolls concert down in Ft. Wayne at the Embassy tonight. Hmm.
Ohio is for Lovers - Hawthorne Heights
I think this was recommended by a friend...I don't remember this song at all. Oh well.
Sugar, We're Going Down - Fall Out Boy
I think this was another impulse...but its not a bad song.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Tell Me Baby - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Quite a random start, don't think it's gonna last. Great song though

Nevermore - Cradle of Filth
hm...haven't even given this a proper listen yet.

Angels with Snipers - InMe
Such a good song, but it does wear thin after a while, the whole newest album to be honest

Blood of the Scribe - Lamb of God
Good old American Metal. Can never get tired of it.

Use My Third Arm - Pantera
Some more good metal, I was wondering when it show up :)

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
My iPod's upstairs so iTunes will work. :)

Is It Any Wonder? - Keane

Great single by Keane, but not my favorite from that album.

All These Things That I've Done - The Killers

One of my favorite songs from Hot Fuss. I still listen to this song often.

Henrietta - The Fratellis

I just bought this album as it came out in the U.S. on the 12th. It's great, and I especially love this song. Good way to open up the album.

Just Like I Am - Landon Pigg

I bought this album a while ago and haven't really listened to it in a while. I think I should start listening to it again, as it was pretty good.

I Miss You - Blink 182

I don't listen to this much anymore, and I never really got into Blink 182. I really like this song, though.

A-Dog

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
CA.
Appleseed Cast - An Orange And A Blue (Instrumental) - great album (Peregrine), great band.

Low - La La La Song - Low frontman Alan Sparhawk I think is one of the great rock songwriters of today.

The Tea Party - Lullaby - put this on the iPod trying to see if I dig this album..

Pink Floyd - The Narrow Way: Pt 1 - great trippy David Gilmore track from Ummagumma, their album from early 70's.

The Smiths - The Headmaster Ritual - the song for me that encapsulates everything I like about The Smiths.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
My top five could have went better, but oh well. :)

Jolene - The White Stripes

This is from their Under Blackpool Lights DVD. I'm never certain how to feel about this cover. I do appreciate the heartbreaking take on it as opposed to Dolly Parton's seemingly upbeat original. Sometimes I can listen to their version over and over again, while other times I just skip over it. Gets me looking forward to Icky Thump. :)

New Slang - The Shins

Never got into The Shins, but after watching Garden State, I bought this off iTS. Wonderful.

We Used To Be Friends - The Dandy Warhols

Went through a phase of The Dandy Warhols. Nothing too spectacular about the song...

Dream's Creation - Yasunori Mitsuda

I've often debated having orchestrated pieces on my iPod, as I usually use it in the car and I don't feel that these types of pieces mesh well with driving. Regardless, Mitsuda is an amazing composer, and the Chrono Cross soundtrack is a brilliant piece of work. I love this song so much... it's delicate and beautiful. Far and away my favorite of the five that came up.

I Am A Witch - Helium

My fifth was actually another live version of Jolene by the White Stripes, but I skipped over it. So this is a live version of "I Am A Witch." It's got Mary Timony, what more could I ask for?

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
On my 4GB Nano:

Vertigo - U2
A bit overplayed. Time to remove from my nano library.

Turn You On - Paris Hilton
How did this get on my nano? :p

Stoned - Dido
From her Life for Rent album. Not my favourite track, as I much prefer White Flag and Sand in My Shoes. This sounds like the remix version. Hmmm...

You're My Thrill - Nouvelle Vague
Haven't listened to this song yet.

Viva Forever - Spice Girls
Truly one of the best tracks from their album. If this song doesn't move you, you are not human.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
sugar ray - fly
i have to admit i hated this song when i first heard it. but several years later, i found myself singing it out of the blue, and i just thought, "wow, what a cool song."

the eels - last stop: this town
i really like this song. it's fun to listen to, and it's fun to sing along with.

the beach boys - barbara ann
i can't say i'm a big fan of the beach boys, but this song is just too infectiously happy. and the beach boys surfer sound works for the song.

zero 7 - waiting to die
a song i first heard on the oc. it's really relaxing to listen to, and it reminds me of happy oc moments. :)

leona naess - christmas
what a great album this song comes from. since i started shopping at the itunes music store, i've hardly bought any cd's, translating to fewer and fewer albums that i actually listen to. leona naess, bloc party and modest mouse are exceptions.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
Trust Me - The Fray
Umm I've played this song before but I've forgotten it. This album was a fad. I liked it, then I dropped it.

World of Two - Cake
This reminds me of myself. I live in my own world of two sometimes.

Otherside - RHCP
lol gotta love RHCP. I have no idea what the song means but it's a GREAT song to sing to in your car.

Head Over Heels - Switchfoot
You know there are songs that Christian bands sing about love and sometimes you don't know if they're talking about love for a spouse or a love for God. Well, this is one is pretty clear. It's about a love for a spouse. Beautiful song, wish I was head over heels for someone. :(

Fragilidad - Sting
Ohhhhhh Sting I love you in a musical way. ;) This song is the Spanish version of "Fragile". I want to learn the lyrics for this song and sing it to some lovely maiden and take her heart. :p

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I'm going to try this again with my 20GB regular iPod:

Sunday Girl - Blondie
Catchy, sultry tune with a bit of french lyrics thrown in.

Stay - Ne-Yo
Slow R&B is not my favourite genre, but good production saves it.

Ride It On - Mazzy Star
Slow and dreamy pop music. Something you play in the background while comatose. ;)

Waiting for Mars - Teitur
Could not get into this song, although Teitur's Sleeping With the Lights On is a perennial favourite of mine.

Keep The Car Running - Arcade Fire
Hey a Canadian band! Refreshing track from an awesome album.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Token Drug Song – Pop Will Eat Itself.
Quite a mellow serious track from PWEI. One of my favourites.

Lucinda – Tom Waits
One of his beatbox tracks. I love Tom Waits stuff he’s one of the few true musical geniuses.

Beauty – Enistürzende Neubauten
A very quiet track with Blixa speaking the words.

Where Wild Roses Grow – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
One of the Murder Ballads. The one with Kylie singing on. Great song reminds me of
How uncomfortable Blixa looked when this was on Top of The Pops!

Akuma No Uta – Boris
A fast and furious rock track from the Japanese masters of experimental noise music

ukmaestro

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2006
Huddersfield, UK
This is interesting, I'm very proud of my music library!

First one:

You Don't See Us - The Roots - from the 'Things Fall Apart' album - one of their best, although they've made so many great albums. I must say this is my favourite album and I think every track on it is high quality. Such a great beat going!

Hello Baby - Sweet Robots Against The Machine This is from the 'Sushi 4004' compilation album. A mix of Japanese music from the Shibuya Kei movement. So much fun, like turntabilism mixed with 60s bossanova and 70s funk! So much fun to listen to.

'Benedictus' from Mass No.7 in C Major K.167 - Mozart I just can't get enough of Choral music and I purchased the entire collection of Mozart's sacred works from iTunes (235 tracks) for about £30 - 12p a track which i don't think was too bad. His work is always so clever, relaxing and spirit uplifting. They are all unique but can't say I remember listening to this particular track before.

Preludio no. 9 in Mi Major - The Swingle Singers These guys are geniuses from the 60s/70s(?) - before I was born anyway but amazing harmonies and they've turned Bach's pieces into great jazz tunes!

Return of the Loop Digger - Quasimoto Madlib/Quasimoto is another hip-hop genius. Fantastic producer. Great beats and samples but fun and playful rhymes.

Excellent - my ipod didn't let me down and as a result I'm feeling in a great mood from such uplifting music!:eek:

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
This is a hard one...probably the most recent tracks I have listened to.

Hamburg Song - Keane. My favourite band. Absolutely stunning sound to this track.

Twenty Four Hours - Athlete - Another fantastic track from a great band.

Kreuzberg - Bloc Party - My favourite from their latest album. Very very unique sound.

Songbird - Eva Cassidy - The most beautiful voice I have ever heard.

Hide & Seek - Imogen Heap - I love the electronic sound of her music. This one is my favourite.

How many am I allowed? :p

David

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Underwater! - Death Cab For Cutie
I love Death Cab, but had forgotten about this song...

Bittersweet - James Taylor
Uhm.. Yeah, I'm a closet James Taylor fan...

Somebody Like You - Keith Urban
S***. This thing is revealing all of my secret likes. Pop country = yum.

End of The World - Cold
Takes me back to like 10th grade, haha.

Desperately Wanting - Better Than Ezra
Great song by a great band.

Is that the most random shuffle ever or what? I guess that's what happens when you put 35GBs on random, lol

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
'Shuffling' my iTunes library...

Pass In Time - Beth Orton

A duet with Terry Callier from 'Central Reservation'.

The Sea - Morcheeba

The wonderful opening track from the chilled out album 'Big Calm'.

Fools In Love - Goran Gora

I've never heard of them - it's from last years South by Southwest music festival showcase download - but it's a catchy tune!

Twelfth Of Never (Live) - Jeff Buckley

A gorgeous live recording from the 'Live at Sin-é' album.

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (Again) - Wilco

A great track from a great album that brings back memories of a good summer!

A-Dog

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
CA.
Okay--I'm double dipping too with my black 4 GB iPod nano...

Long Live The King / The Byrds - somewhat cool David Crosby song from the Byrds 1973 reunion album, bitching about fame. I love the Byrds, esp. w/ Crosby.

Future Foe Scenarios / Silversun Pickups - I believe they are the best new rock band around, hands down. Such a cool sound.

(Don't Fear) The Reaper / Blue Oyster Cult - Uncommonly brilliant old hit single, undisputedly classic.

Monkey Man / Rolling Stones - From my favorite Stones album Let It Bleed. Awesome riffs. I believe Keith Richards played all the guitars on this record for the first and only time and it's amazing.

Pedestal / Portishead
- From Dummy. One of the greatest groups of all time. Beth Gibbon's voice is incredibly sexy. Long past time for a new record from them.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
This is a great idea. :)

Broken Toy - Keane
I prefer keane's first album... but this one's still pretty good.

Title Track - Death Cab for Cutie
DCFC's probably my favorite band.

Auf Achse - Franz Ferdinand
This is from Franz Ferdinand's original album. It has a really nice beat and the lyrics really speak to me. I saw them live with DCFC last april and they were fantastic.

Purple Stain - Red Hot Chili Peppers
I really like this song and I'm not quite sure why. Haven't heard it in forever. My sister's absolutely obsessed with them... I surprised her with RHCP tickets earlier this year (the show sold out quickly and she thought we missed them). We had a great time.

Squeeze Me - Louis Armstrong
I'm absolutely obsessed with old jazz... there's nothing quite like it.

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
I like things like this. there's a short bit in every Rolling Stone issue where they ask some star or celebrity or something to do this. I always get a kick out of it. I'll play, too!

another green world - brian eno
Very short title track from a really great chilled ambient album from the master. brian eno makes me smile.

don't give up - peter gabriel
You'd think my itunes is pulling tracks that are somehow related just to taunt... hmm... lovely, spooky, uplifting gabriel track.

making plans for nigel - nouvelle vague
I could listen to these sultry french ladies cover anything in bossa nova tunes- but here, it's a perfectly nice update of the XTC song.

tracks of my tears johnny rivers
aaaaah yes. old weeper. reminds me of sadder days as a kid. kind of cheesy nowadays, but man, i love it.

picture on my wall - echo and the bunnymen
not actually super familiar with this track from echo. oh well. it's fun.

thanks, fun times!

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2007
1) love removal machine the cult

the cult was probably the best thing to come out of the 80's... i was THERE so i should know. :p

2) rocketpop! tripping daisy

*shrugs* i really dig the debut album. it's funny but this first album really reminds me of the foo-fighters (ducks incoming from REAL foo fighter fans)

3) billy jack bitch prince

one of my FAVORITE workout songs! can't go wrong with prince anytime! he's one funky mo-fo!

4) wild flower the cult

what can i say..? i have a lot of cult on my iPod

5) the cowboy song thin lizzy

i'm old... and i simply LOVE this song! roll me over and turn me around.. let me keep spinning till i hit the ground

this was cool! .. can't wait for the next round.

maybe in the next few days. :p

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
This is a great idea. :)

Broken Toy - Keane
I prefer keane's first album... but this one's still pretty good.

Title Track - Death Cab for Cutie
DCFC's probably my favorite band.

Auf Achse - Franz Ferdinand
This is from Franz Ferdinand's original album. It has a really nice beat and the lyrics really speak to me. I saw them live with DCFC last april and they were fantastic.

Purple Stain - Red Hot Chili Peppers
I really like this song and I'm not quite sure why. Haven't heard it in forever. My sister's absolutely obsessed with them... I surprised her with RHCP tickets earlier this year (the show sold out quickly and she thought we missed them). We had a great time.

Squeeze Me - Louis Armstrong
I'm absolutely obsessed with old jazz... there's nothing quite like it.

Awesome, I knew Keane were gaining a small fanbase in the US, but I had no idea Franz were gaining popularity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.