Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrs29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
I am a pretty new user of Final Cut Express HD and I'm having some issues with a project I'm working on. I have rendered the project and when I try to export as a Quick Time movie, it will start to write the audio and video and then it gives me an error message that says, "File I/O error." When I try to export with "Using Quick Time Conversion" option, no matter what kind of file it is, it begins to write audio and video and when it finishes and I watch the file, and the audio is there for about half of the total video time, and the video is just a still frame of one scene in the project? Any ideas or helpful hints for me to try?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Which version of FC Express HD are you running? Is it 3 or 3.5? Which version of QuickTime are you running? Which OS version do you have on your system?

What are your system's hardware specs? Thanks.

mrs29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
i am running with the following versions and specs
OS X 10.4.9
2.16 GHz Core Duo processor
1 GB RAM
Final Cut Express HD v. 3.5
Quick Time 7.1.5

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Since you have everything up to date it's especially odd that you're having exporting problems.

This isn't a real solution but it's a stopgap -- have you tried exporting using Compressor?

Also, is your QuickTime Player's "Pro" license activated (I'm not certain whether FCE comes with a QT Pro key as FCP does so this question might not help troubleshoot).

mrs29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Quick Time Pro is activated on my machine...I havn't tried the compressor yet, I'm not sure if I'm just missing something, but when I look at the file menu for this project, "Using Compressor" is grayed out...I can't even select it as an option...

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I just thought of two more possibilities:

1. Maybe there isn't enough free hard drive space?

2. Maybe there's something in the way the files are named (very similar to other files on the disk in the same directory) which the machine doesn't like?

My mistake for suggesting Compressor.. you'd have that if you had DVD Studio Pro or Final Cut Suite, which you don't.

How big is the project? How much free hard drive space do you have?

burntfacejake

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2007
Similar Problem

dual 2.7 GHz Power PC G5
2.5 GB DDR SDRAM
FCP 5.1.4
Quicktime 7.1.5

I'm having the same issue, when I export a sequence as a quicktime using 'current settings' the file appears to be exporting and then at the end I get File I/O error, and no file has been written to disk. I should mention the project and all of its media is located on a G-Tech G-RAID external firewire harddrive.

Have you worked your issue out? I'd like to know if you solved it. I'm wondering if perhaps there are bad sectors on the external harddrive?

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

mrs29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
I have plenty of hard drive space (about 100 GB of free space), however it is on an external drive that I am trying to export to. All of the files for the project are on the external as well. I haven't really checked on any of the file name issues yet...I'll take a look today and see if that does anything...thank you for your on-going suggestions...

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
This is usually an error that is related to the space on the drive.
If as you say you have 100GB on the delivery drive, then it could mean that the render drive is packed (if your timeline is not fully rendered, as it exports it will need to render whatever is left). Make sure you free more space on the rendering drive or add the external drive as a rendering drive in the System Settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.