Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
I am really getting annoyed by all those people looking to increase traffic and squeeze a few more pennies from google with those "Review My Site" threads.

For example, this guy SamL, has 2 threads going on (thread #1 , thread #2)

Both sites are vanilla (content and design wise) but of course, with google ads. Please, don't do people like that a favour by visiting their sites.

I don't have anything against ads but I definitely dislike those sneaky ways to increase traffic.

From now on, I will ignore any review request from anybody who joined less than 6 months ago and has less than a 100 posts.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Ah, it doesn't really bother me much. What I hate is when people create a site with Wordpress or Rapidweaver and expect us to critique it.

if everyone makes a BLOG, then whats the point anymore of reviewing sites, when its the same site with a different stylesheet.

just cuz u change some CSS values doesnt make the site YOUR design. You may own the domain, and the content, but you certainly dont own the design.

Templates are starting points....arent they?

As for the google ad BS? Seriously what is up with that? I have never been to a site run by "just some guy" with ads on it, and yet here are all these "review my site" posts with ads in them.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If you think the purpose of a thread or post is to build traffic or to advertise, report the post to the moderators and we'll take a look. We remove such posts and threads when we notice them, but we also depend on your post reports too. The sooner our members report such posts, the better.

Note: I have not yet looked at the specific threads you mention, so I'm speaking in general.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
Thanks,

This is why I like MacRumors. Nice and pro-active moderators :)

Let me add that I started this thread more as a discussion of a particular "pet peeve" and used those 2 threads from the same person to illustrate the issue.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
Just before I clicked on this thread another one of these sites came up on the Forum Spy. :)

I assume you refer to one started by dreamfocused?

This is something I consider completely OK, dreamfocused is here for 2 months and has over 40 posts on other topics. So this is a valid review request from "established" member of community. :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i've seen a lot of 'em lately too. some days i'm all for it. others not so much.

a part of me would hate to say this, but feels it should be suggested in any event...

i know we hate creating new forums and such. and i totally agree with the stance. but i wonder if a "Sites" or "Review Me" subfolder would help. maybe maybe not. just thinking aloud.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
I assume you refer to one started by dreamfocused?

This is something I consider completely OK, dreamfocused is here for 2 months and has over 40 posts on other topics. So this is a valid review request from "established" member of community. :)

But it was his second one...:(

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
heh. The closest I've gotten was a "My company does x in city y, please search Google and see if you can figure out which company mine is, I'd like to know if you find my current Google advertising effective enough that you'd choose my company." I never said the name of the company, and, if anything, I'd lose money by your searching, since I'd have to pay my Google Adwords charges if you got it right.

Although...... If you *DO* want to critique my website.......

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
i know we hate creating new forums and such. and i totally agree with the stance. but i wonder if a "Sites" or "Review Me" subfolder would help. maybe maybe not. just thinking aloud.
It seems to me that a request for a site review, when appropriate, is perfectly well-suited to the Web Design and Development forum. People who discuss web design very likely have particular websites in mind, and naming them is permissible for the purpose of getting advice. Sometimes the questions will be specifically about website graphics, in which case they may be appropriate for the Design and Graphics forum instead.

If we judge a thread to be an attempt to build traffic or ad views or publicize the site, rather than to ask for critiques of the site design and implementation, we'll close or remove the thread.

In general, we'd prefer that sites being discussed while under construction be ad-free, because it lessens the annoyance for those who offer help, and because it lessens suspicion about any invent to promote or advertise.

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
Yeah, SamL needs to be the example…

I think it's time to have a minimum post requirement for this topic, or just delete these fools.

Notice one of the Google ads is "how to increase site traffic" :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.