Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
At the moment this is really just for interests sake, and i feel it isn't going to end how i would like it to.

So my first ever mac has been a MBP, and i love it.

I have always thought the clamshell was a really funky looking laptop, and after i found out you can install OSX on the 466Mhz version i started looking around for prices. I found none. Not a single one. Does anyone know what they sell for?

Also, how well would OSX run? If i stripped it down to the bare bare essentials? Would this run office? Or just word?

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
The firewire clamshell models fetch a pretty high price nowadays. If you can get one with enough ram to run tiger. You are still looking at over 200 if you are lucky. It is actually cheaper to get a dual usb ibook. I really love their case designs and I own two myself. You are looking for the Paris models, which are the indigo 366 and the graphite 466. If you are coming from a mbp you will be disapointed in their speeds. They can do anything really that a modern lappy can, except flash video gets choppy. I was thinking about putting 10.3.9 in one of them to see if that helps a little. They do have 8mb of vram compared to the 4 in the others. It does help, but its not perfect. I am writing this on a 300 pb g3 running puma right now. This baby was made in 98 and I just got done installing flash and watching some choppy youtube. I love the dvd player in the 466, It will be great for trips/fights. I bet people haven't seen a clamshell out in a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.