Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
hi i just recently got a new intel imac and i came from being a pc user and i wanted to use my pc mic/headphone set it has a mic in and ur normal headphone jack will there be anyway i can get this to work cause id like to youse Ventrillo on my bootcamp partion and skype to. or do i need a whole new set that would have usb

akbartharayil

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
enabling headphone in imac pc

can i know how to use headphone in imac pc, when iam inserting the pin the speaker and headphne both are working , i want the only headphone sound , not required the speaker .also the mic

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hi i just recently got a new intel imac and i came from being a pc user and i wanted to use my pc mic/headphone set it has a mic in and ur normal headphone jack will there be anyway i can get this to work cause id like to youse Ventrillo on my bootcamp partion and skype to. or do i need a whole new set that would have usb

I am pretty sure the jacks on the back of the iMac are line level. Your mic likely is at to low of a level. you would need either a preamp to convert the signal or an external USB audio interface with it's own built-in preamp.

They also make USB headphone/mics that work well and sell for less than the price of an external USB audio interface

I solved this problem a completely different way. I use a phone that connects directly t my local network with Ethernet. They are not expensive and I don't like software based phones
http://www.telephonydepot.com/Catalog/Grandstream-Phones?gclid=CMWQkJLm05gCFR0Sagodkiza2A

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.