Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
:apple: TV really does seem like a nice idea, but I'd like to see how Apple develops it over time. Here's what I'd like to see:

1. DVR - many have suggested this already, and I'm definitely in this camp. (c'mon apple, how much are you making off of tv anyway? make your money in music and movies and leave tv for those who missed an episode or season).

2. Renting movies - Personally, I have little desire now to buy a movie in iTunes, however it would be nice to rent a movie for $2.99 (cheaper than going to the video store). Have the file be 'playable' for a week. At that point, we can rent it again, delete it, or go ahead and buy the movie at Reg. price minus the cost of renting. Imagine how many more movies Apple would sell this way...

3. Have :apple: TV feature an iTunes front end where we can purchase content from the couch. (Is this really possible with the minimalist :apple: remote without being slow-going?)

4. We've got the power of the internet at our TV, throw in some widgets, wii-channel style. Perhaps find a way to incorporate all of the widgets that have been made for Tiger? This alone could be explosive I think.

If we had these features, I would buy one in two hot seconds, even w/o an hdtv. But right now, there's not much appeal for me.

What do all of you think? Have any more ideas that may not have been mentioned before (that are reasonable)?

Peace,

DCBass

louiselastic

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2007
I dont think apple will be allowed to sell up-to-date movies on its itunes..the film industry wont make profit as BIG as they way they are doing

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
:apple: TV really does seem like a nice idea, but I'd like to see how Apple develops it over time. Here's what I'd like to see:

1. DVR - many have suggested this already, and I'm definitely in this camp. (c'mon apple, how much are you making off of tv anyway? make your money in music and movies and leave tv for those who missed an episode or season).

2. Renting movies - Personally, I have little desire now to buy a movie in iTunes, however it would be nice to rent a movie for $2.99 (cheaper than going to the video store). Have the file be 'playable' for a week. At that point, we can rent it again, delete it, or go ahead and buy the movie at Reg. price minus the cost of renting. Imagine how many more movies Apple would sell this way...

3. Have :apple: TV feature an iTunes front end where we can purchase content from the couch. (Is this really possible with the minimalist :apple: remote without being slow-going?)

4. We've got the power of the internet at our TV, throw in some widgets, wii-channel style. Perhaps find a way to incorporate all of the widgets that have been made for Tiger? This alone could be explosive I think.

If we had these features, I would buy one in two hot seconds, even w/o an hdtv. But right now, there's not much appeal for me.

What do all of you think? Have any more ideas that may not have been mentioned before (that are reasonable)?

Peace,

DCBass

1. Never happen. Use Elgato.

2. Maybe, appealing, but too complicated.

3. Probably coming, issue is only would work with synced computer, and still authorizing purchases presents difficulty.

4. Really, just go use your computer. While this sounds marginally cool, it really clutters up a clean and simple interface.

And lastly, outside of #1, there are are not things here keeping you from buying it. Saying that it has no appeal without some rather meaningless points, at least 2-4, leaves me questioning your perspective and purchasing criteria. And like I said, if not having #1 is the dealbreaker, then you will be without one. Honestly, that's like saying you won't buy an iPod because it doesn't stream video directly from youtube.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
1. Cool, but I don't think it would happen .

2. I would love to rent movies from Apple. I never watch a movie once or twice so it's not worth it for me to buy.

3. Would go hand and hand with number two.

4. Wonderful idea!

roland.g how would this clutter the interface? All Apple would have to do is add another menu for widgets.

jruc4871

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Washington, DC

If :apple: TV had this feature, I'd buy one today.

sandau

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
If :apple: TV had this feature, I'd buy one today.

its gonna be on the iPhone, I wouldn't doubt they've thought of this feature for the Apple TV too. It just makes sense.

I too would love to be able to turn on my TV and have weather, some news, etc in widgets showing on the widescreen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.