Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geoff Myers

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
Hey. I've got a cheap 350 MHz Power Mac G4 Sawtooth (AGP graphics) with some pretty low specs. 320 MB RAM, Rage 128 with 16 MB VRAM (driving an HDTV :p), 10 GB HD. Anyways, I'm planning on making a Sony 50" LCD HDTV the primary display @ 1080p. I mostly want to do some web browsing and play DivX files (which actually works pretty well given the poor graphics card). I don't need a bigger hard drive because the files are on DVDs and CDs. I've overclocked the graphics card by 25% so far with ATIcellerator 2 and I'm thinking of overclocking the CPU by 50 or 100 MHz too (what do you think? should I add an extra fan?). To my amazement, it actually plays DivX-encoded video fairly well and I'm hoping this will be a [really] cheap temporary replacement for an Apple TV or Mac mini setup (I'm saving up for the next generation MacBook Pro right now). And I have thought about noise from the fans disturbing watching video.

The main problem is when I boot up the machine, I see the white and gray apple boot screen, but then the screen goes black after that and it doesn't load the desktop or anything after that no matter what I seem to do. What's up? I've zapped the PRAM and tried command + F2 to detect displays, but nothing happens. It's connected via DVI to HDMI adapter. The graphics card is obviously capable of that resolution. The TV also has an inferior VGA port, which I tried alternatively to the DVI to HDMI adapter. It worked perfectly, but, of course, I would like the digital quality if possible.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance! :)

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I would try test it with a regular LCD display and see whether it works. If not, the overclocking is causing the problems. Evidently this will be more problematic if you try to get the signal to a larger display (despite same resolution) since it will suck up more resources from the graphics card.

Overclocking graphics card can work but you always risk overheating the sucker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.