Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:24 PM   #1
someguy
macrumors 68020

Any way to play music through another Macs speakers?

I have one good set of speakers (iSub with those sphere speakers, you know the ones) and I want to be able to use them with my laptop and my iMac without changing my setup.

I have an AirPort Express, but I take that with me every few days so I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve reaching behind the desk to move wires around all the time.

Is there any way for me to play a song in iTunes on my PowerBook and have the audio come out of the speakers attached to the iMac?

P.S. I searched and did not find anything, sorry if this has been asked before.

someguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:29 PM   #2
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I have one good set of speakers (iSub with those sphere speakers, you know the ones) and I want to be able to use them with my laptop and my iMac without changing my setup.

I have an AirPort Express, but I take that with me every few days so I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve reaching behind the desk to move wires around all the time.

Is there any way for me to play a song in iTunes on my PowerBook and have the audio come out of the speakers attached to the iMac?

P.S. I searched and did not find anything, sorry if this has been asked before.
Sure, turn on sharing in your powerbook, then start iTunes on your iMac and play the song.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:34 PM   #3
someguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger View Post
Sure, turn on sharing in your powerbook, then start iTunes on your iMac and play the song.
They already share songs between one another, but I was hoping to be able to create a setup like AirTunes only over the LAN with the speakers plugged into the iMac.

Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:35 PM   #4
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
They already share songs between one another, but I was hoping to be able to create a setup like AirTunes only over the LAN with the speakers plugged into the iMac.
Nope, that won't work.

I did use to have a utility that would allow you to remotely control itunes on a different computer. I don't know if it still works, since I stopped using it once the new itunes came out. It was rather sketchy; didn't work consistently.

But what's the problem with just playing from the other computer's iTunes? Clearly you're in the same room with that computer, right? Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to hear the music.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:40 PM   #5
someguy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger View Post
But what's the problem with just playing from the other computer's iTunes? Clearly you're in the same room with that computer, right? Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to hear the music.
Because my office (where the iMac is) is in the same area as my living room (where I am a lot of the time on my PowerBook). The speakers make enough noise to listen to comfortably while in the living room, not to mention they sound way better than these PowerBook speakers.

Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:51 PM   #6
redeye be
macrumors 65816

I was looking in to this myself.
One would expect apple to take care of this, It would be as simple as adding a "behave as remote speakers" checkbox somewhere in iTunes' prefs.

I few months ago I found these links:
http://trickster.bulknews.net/
http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?AirTunes

They haven't changed since...

I did come across the app wordmunger used, but I can't remember it's name either. If it still works you could try to find it (i do believe it was shareware)

You could always use a VNC app (like ChickenOfTheVNC) to remotely control the iMac from the powerbook, including iTunes.

Cheers

Ever though about folding?
what | how | widget | team stats
redeye be is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 03:00 PM   #7
someguy
macrumors 68020

VNC will do just fine. Don't know why I didn't consider this option, seeing as how all of my music is accessible from the iMac anyhow.

Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help