Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:24 PM   #1
someguy
macrumors 68020
 
someguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Still here.
Any way to play music through another Macs speakers?

I have one good set of speakers (iSub with those sphere speakers, you know the ones) and I want to be able to use them with my laptop and my iMac without changing my setup.

I have an AirPort Express, but I take that with me every few days so I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve reaching behind the desk to move wires around all the time.

Is there any way for me to play a song in iTunes on my PowerBook and have the audio come out of the speakers attached to the iMac?

P.S. I searched and did not find anything, sorry if this has been asked before.
__________________

someguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:29 PM   #2
wordmunger
macrumors 603
 
wordmunger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I have one good set of speakers (iSub with those sphere speakers, you know the ones) and I want to be able to use them with my laptop and my iMac without changing my setup.

I have an AirPort Express, but I take that with me every few days so I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve reaching behind the desk to move wires around all the time.

Is there any way for me to play a song in iTunes on my PowerBook and have the audio come out of the speakers attached to the iMac?

P.S. I searched and did not find anything, sorry if this has been asked before.
Sure, turn on sharing in your powerbook, then start iTunes on your iMac and play the song.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:34 PM   #3
someguy
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
someguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Still here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger View Post
Sure, turn on sharing in your powerbook, then start iTunes on your iMac and play the song.
They already share songs between one another, but I was hoping to be able to create a setup like AirTunes only over the LAN with the speakers plugged into the iMac.
__________________

someguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:35 PM   #4
wordmunger
macrumors 603
 
wordmunger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
They already share songs between one another, but I was hoping to be able to create a setup like AirTunes only over the LAN with the speakers plugged into the iMac.
Nope, that won't work.

I did use to have a utility that would allow you to remotely control itunes on a different computer. I don't know if it still works, since I stopped using it once the new itunes came out. It was rather sketchy; didn't work consistently.

But what's the problem with just playing from the other computer's iTunes? Clearly you're in the same room with that computer, right? Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to hear the music.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:40 PM   #5
someguy
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
someguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Still here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger View Post
But what's the problem with just playing from the other computer's iTunes? Clearly you're in the same room with that computer, right? Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to hear the music.
Because my office (where the iMac is) is in the same area as my living room (where I am a lot of the time on my PowerBook). The speakers make enough noise to listen to comfortably while in the living room, not to mention they sound way better than these PowerBook speakers.
__________________

someguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 01:51 PM   #6
redeye be
macrumors 65816
 
redeye be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BXL
I was looking in to this myself.
One would expect apple to take care of this, It would be as simple as adding a "behave as remote speakers" checkbox somewhere in iTunes' prefs.

I few months ago I found these links:
http://trickster.bulknews.net/
http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?AirTunes

They haven't changed since...

I did come across the app wordmunger used, but I can't remember it's name either. If it still works you could try to find it (i do believe it was shareware)

You could always use a VNC app (like ChickenOfTheVNC) to remotely control the iMac from the powerbook, including iTunes.

Cheers
__________________

Ever though about folding?
what | how | widget | team stats
redeye be is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 03:00 PM   #7
someguy
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
someguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Still here.
VNC will do just fine. Don't know why I didn't consider this option, seeing as how all of my music is accessible from the iMac anyhow.

Thanks!
__________________

someguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Play Music Now streams Directly to Sonos Speakers DaveN Apple TV and Home Theater 16 Apr 14, 2014 11:42 AM
Force play ifile music during games which turn music off. IIILuNaTiCIII iOS 5 and earlier 2 Apr 27, 2013 01:39 PM
iPhone: Music player wont play some of my music and freezes ahfu25 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Feb 15, 2013 04:01 AM
tablets: Google Voice Search - play music in Play Music on Nexus 7? matttye Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Feb 4, 2013 03:41 PM
iPod Touch Music Play Flickers/Doesn't Play ShaleBeach iPod touch 0 Jul 23, 2012 09:47 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC