Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I thought I'd get a conversation going on this. I know I'm not the only one out there who wants an iPod that is essentially an iPhone, except without the phone, and with a 100gb (or larger) hard drive. Who's with me? Do you all think it'll be released in the near future, or is it going to be sometime after the iPhone is released? I don't really think it would interfere with iPhone sales, as it's for a different audience (if increased storage capacity were important to you, you wouldn't be buying the iPhone).

It seems that something like this is inevitable; it's the next logical step for a full sized iPod for those who don't want a phone, and want capacity beyond what the iPhone can provide. Discuss! :)

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I agree, I think that is the next logical step for the iPod. An iPhone without the phone part.

iPhone - phone + hard drive = 6G iPod. And Apple should make a slightly different design to the 6G iPod to distinguish from the iPhone.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i don't think there would be a 100 gb model without, say, a 40 gb model. and the cheaper model would possibly cut into iphone sales, so i don't think we'll be seeing 6g ipods until well after the iphone launch. i'm always hoping to be wrong with my apple predictions, so we'll see. as for the design, i'd like to see an iphone-like device that's all screen on the front. the iphone has non-touch screen sections for the mic and speaker. do away with that, and you have a full screen 6g ipod with roughly the same dimensions as a 5g ipod.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
My guess is that this iPod will come out around October. This has been the time when new iPod generations were introduced, ready for Christmas sale.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
So where's the widescreen, phone-LESS, high capacity iPod?

Probably in a secret room somewhere in apple HQ or in John Ives pocket whilst designing the next macbooks.

I find it quite irksome that Apple didn't just release the 6G along with the iPhone. It's GONNA happen, so why make us wait? I guess it makes sense for them to want the iPhone release to have as little static around it as possible. The iPod is well established, and the iPhone is brand new and a big gamble.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
You probably won't see one until well after the iPhone debuts. Probably October for the holiday season.

I would think Apple has limited parts production on the touch screen and doesn't want to get caught short due to parts supply if the iPhone takes off in a big way.

Since the Shuffle and the Nano are the two popular sellers, I don't see them in any hurry to get rid of the current 5G lineup. There's no real video push there yet, as they are still struggling to get video content on the store.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I've been thinking the exact same thing. If the iPhone can run Word and Excel documents, it would be able to replace a Palm for me...

But my carrier will never get the iPhone. And Cingular's prices are outrageous.

There have been all those rumors about a Skype-like service for the iPhone, which would be cool, but doesn't require the phone part either. So just sell it minus the phone part.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Is this the longest Apple has gone without making a big update to the regular iPod line? Sure seems like it. I bought my iPod Photo about 2 years ago, and shortly after that the Video came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.