Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodega.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
Hi all,

Just wondering if I could pick your brains about this:

My 1x1.8 G5 has a video card (AGP NVIDIA 5200) that has started to die on me and I know absolutely nothing about video cards. I use macs (and computers in general) for recording and little else.

Having a *good* video card is really not that important, just one that properly displays what I'm working on in Live or Cubase, which I can't imagine are that demanding graphics-wise.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me, or can point me in the way of a list online of compatible (cheap!) cards? I gather I have to get one that specifies that it's mac-compatible, not just any old pc card?

Like I said, I know *nothing* about this stuff. (though if anyone wants recording gear advice, I"m your man....).

muchos gracias, etc,
Matthew

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
You should be able to find an exact replacement on ebay for $20-30, usually from someone that's upgrading.
I don't think you'll find much of a cheaper card ... it IS the lowest that was offered in the G5s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.