Apple TV X DivX / XVid conversion and subtitles - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:01 PM   #1
madalves
macrumors newbie

Apple TV X DivX / XVid conversion and subtitles

Is there any way to convert my DivX and Xvid movies so i can watch on Apple TV?? And if so, is there a way to convert with the .srt subtitles??

I've dl some trial converters that do convert .avi to .mp4 and the itunes recognize the format, but it`s really slow and i don't know if it`s gonna work on Apple TV. Any suggestions??

Tks
madalves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:02 AM   #2
powerbook911
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by madalves View Post
Is there any way to convert my DivX and Xvid movies so i can watch on Apple TV?? And if so, is there a way to convert with the .srt subtitles??

I've dl some trial converters that do convert .avi to .mp4 and the itunes recognize the format, but it`s really slow and i don't know if it`s gonna work on Apple TV. Any suggestions??

Tks
iTunes you can just change the container to .mov, but it sounds like for Apple TV you will certainly need to re-encode the program. Subtitles probably won't work.

If you have Quicktime pro and divx installed, you can use Quicktime to export in "Apple TV" format. It is very slow though (couple hours on my intel mac for a 1 hour or so video).
Old Mar 22, 2007, 02:59 AM   #3
Am3822
macrumors 6502

If appletv runs a stripped-down version of OS X, can't you somehow install perian and get xvid/divx playback the same way it's done with FrontRow?
Am3822 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 07:59 AM   #4
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3822 View Post
If appletv runs a stripped-down version of OS X, can't you somehow install perian and get xvid/divx playback the same way it's done with FrontRow?
Most likely but only time will tell.
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Wiley
macrumors newbie

DivX to H.264 with SRT subtitles

Yes, FFmpegX can convert DivX files to H.264 and include your .srt subtitles.
It's a little compliated though, and unless you have a very fast computer, the conversion can take a very long time.

In FFmpegX, drag the Divx file onto the 'source' window, for the quick preset on the right, select h.264 (mencoder) (when you install ffmpegx, you'll need to install a couple of libraries that are available seperately off the web, mencoder is one of them).
Click on the filters tab, then there should be a button for 'load subs'. Select your srt file here. The default location for the subtitles in the frame is "80" which is almost always way too high for me. I've had better luck with "90".
You don't need to check "vob subtitles" because that would be for encoding from a DVD's Video TS vile.

There's more information here: http://ffmpegx.com/filters.html
Wiley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 02:24 PM   #6
RedTomato
macrumors 68040

I'm interested in this topic too, but my problem is with shrinking DVD files and including the subtitles, while still keeping the image at full quality. (I don't mind dumping the sound)

MacTheRipper rips my DVDs fine, but I'm still baffled by how to set up Handbrake to keep the quality and subtitles. Quick guide anyone?
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 03:05 AM   #7
Trebel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTomato View Post
I'm interested in this topic too, but my problem is with shrinking DVD files and including the subtitles, while still keeping the image at full quality. (I don't mind dumping the sound)

MacTheRipper rips my DVDs fine, but I'm still baffled by how to set up Handbrake to keep the quality and subtitles. Quick guide anyone?
I'm using Handbrake for that. It can embed the chapters of the DVD in the Apple TV format and convert multiple episodes of a tv show into different files.. It's quite easy to use!
Trebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 05:44 AM   #8
aleperroca
macrumors newbie

I need some help here.
Trying to synchronize a .srt subtitle file to an .avi movie. I`ve been working on VLC, and I`ve already tryed J and H to skip lines, but useless. I was then led to Jubler, and then i could change line timing, but the sequence of lines did not respect the change. Can anyone help me?
aleperroca@hotmail.com
aleperroca is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater