Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So has anyone with one tested to see if the digital audio passes surround sound?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The doorbell rang while I was reading the first post in this thread. Sure enough, it was Fedex with my :apple:TV! Now I've got a big job ahead of me, remembering how my entertainment system is set up and figuring out which cables I already have or will be going off to buy. More business for Best Buy!

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Ummmm ...

How is this rated negative????? Are we upset because Apple is posting documentation?

I'm confused .... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
The doorbell rang while I was reading the first post in this thread. Sure enough, it was Fedex with my :apple:TV! Now I've got a big job ahead of me, remembering how my entertainment system is set up and figuring out which cables I already have or will be going off to buy. More business for Best Buy!

You didn't make sure you had a cable all ready waiting or ordered with the ATV???? Wow... that's so, er calm? :eek:

I have the HD TV already pulled forward for rear access, the space cleared for the ATV and the cable hanging in place ... I just have to see the Fed Ex truck now. Just going back outside to look ...

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
My wife has informed me that two boxes from apple showed up today, they weren't supposed to be here until tomorrow so yay I get to go check it out tonight.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Not yet ... tomorrow :)

Meanwhile this is interesting ...

http://www.thismuchiknow.co.uk/?p=24

Here's something else some may find interesting on the subject of Apple and 5.1 surround sound on an earlier iTune streaming device, from an online article: The Developers Guide to iTunes.

In 2004, Apple further expanded the iTunes music platform with the introduction of AirPort Express base stations. The Airport Express device is a smaller version of Apple’s Airport wireless access hardware. The Airport Express had also improved upon the older designs by including a dedicated USB hub, for printers and audio output ports, allowing connection between standard stereo equipment and wireless networks. To communicate with the Airport Express audio features, iTunes was given new functionality that sent audio to local Airport Express units. With this feature, iTunes users can use connected stereo devices to listen to their protected audio tracks. In addition to the analog stereo output port, Apple also integrated a digital 5.1 surround sound output into the device. (However there are currently no applications or content that can use the 5.1 surround sound feature as Apple has restricted access to third-party developers’.)

Apple's original press release, from 2004 when the AirPort Express was released, states the device allows "users to connect AirPort Express to a home stereo, powered analog speakers or the latest digital 5.1 surround sound systems." However, if you look at the current AirPort Express product page there is no mention of "5.1 surround sound" in regards to the product. Perhaps some forum user actually using AirPort Express can tell us whether or not 5.1 is possible(?)

There must to be good reason for all of the "Great 5.1 Mystery" surrounding both of these devices... :rolleyes:

macjackpro

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
optical digital out

The airport express has an (optical) digital out. This supports 5.1. The Apple TV also has optical digital out. So....

I think there will be a slow upgrading of the content, the iTunes software and the Apple TV software.

Here's something else some may find interesting on the subject of Apple and 5.1 surround sound on an earlier iTune streaming device, from an online article: The Developers Guide to iTunes.

Apple's original press release, from 2004 when the AirPort Express was released, states the device allows "users to connect AirPort Express to a home stereo, powered analog speakers or the latest digital 5.1 surround sound systems." However, if you look at the current AirPort Express product page there is no mention of "5.1 surround sound" in regards to the product. Perhaps some forum user actually using AirPort Express can tell us whether or not 5.1 is possible(?)

There must to be good reason for all of the "Great 5.1 Mystery" surrounding both of these devices... :rolleyes:

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
i just got the apple tv. works great.

wish it could buy HD tv and movies also.

who knows. its cool and so easy to set up.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
They just arrived at Apple Store Southdale in Edina, MN. I've got a unit on hold so I can at least see their floor demo units first. I'm pretty sure it's a go for me but I just want to have a hands-on quick inspection to make sure there are no glaring minuses.

But I do have a couple of questions... The specs state 1GHz G4... has anyone who received a unit today run this on a slower machine? I have a 1GHz G4 laptop but I'd prefer to use my G4 933MHz Quicksilver tower. I don't think there'll be any big issues... possibly streaming limitations. Any idea?

Also, curious if it is certain that these units have an Intel HD Audio chipset... and whether or not there's truth to some statements that the HD Audio chipset has a built-in Dolby Digital Live transcoder. That would immediately underscore an intent to support multichannel surround output. Thoughts?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
OK, so you are running component into a 4:3 SD TV or a wide screen SD TV? Just curious about other uses of ATV.

Unsure on the details, I just know that it has component and HDMI outputs... Don't have one myself and won't since I'm in Canada and our iTMS is crippled, thus denying us the majority of the content for Apple TV in the first place. :rolleyes:

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Also, curious if it is certain that these units have an Intel HD Audio chipset... and whether or not there's truth to some statements that the HD Audio chipset has a built-in Dolby Digital Live transcoder. That would immediately underscore an intent to support multichannel surround output. Thoughts?

Yes. The statements are "based on truth," per Intel, re: Intel® High Definition Audio (Intel® HD Audio).

Google can also provide info about Intel's HDA & Dolby Digital Live... ;)

But this doesn't mean Apple's products, including Apple TV, actually have fully *implemented* this feature, nor does this mean that Apple TV actually has such a chipset onboard. Therefore, the question is "does it work", e.g., is it implemented, for as Intel notes on their site: "Some HD Audio functionality is dependent on actual implementation, controller, and codec."

That (whether it's implemented) is the burning question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.