Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:04 PM   #1
skinnylegs
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to skinnylegs
Apple TV streaming mode is horendous!

*EDIT* I created this post before I realized that my router was a bit archaic. I have since purchased an Apple Extreme router and Apple TV is working wonderfully! It is everything I thought it would be!

Let me preface myself by saying that I am an Apple advocate and this post is *not* intended to ruffle feathers. It is an honest accounting.

Setup of Apple TV is braindead easy. Great. However......streaming of content is *horndous*. It is soooo slow that it is hardly worth the effort.....even for something as simple as a song.

I'm syncing as we speak and I'm *hoping* that this will work well.

Maybe it's something I'm doing or not doing but I am really disappointed with the streaming portion of Apple TV.

Last edited by skinnylegs; Mar 23, 2007 at 01:47 PM.
skinnylegs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:06 PM   #2
TBi
macrumors 68030

I'd say this has more to do with the speed of your wireless connection than anything else. Is the base station too far away? How is the signal strength? What is the connection speed?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:07 PM   #3
macd00d
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnylegs View Post
Let me preface myself by saying that I am an Apple advocate and this post is *not* intended to ruffle feathers. It is an honest accounting.

Setup of Apple TV is braindead easy. Great. However......streaming of content is *horndous*. It is soooo slow that it is hardly worth the effort.....even for something as simple as a song.

Maybe it's something I'm doing or not doing but I am really disappointed with the streaming portion of Apple TV.
I think you must have something wrong with your network. Are you using wired or wireless? I'm wired at 100Mbps/FD on the TV side and at 1000Mbps/FD on my iMac side... and streaming works flawlessly. I can't even get 720p HD material to skip a beat.

To be honest, given my performance I don't even see the need for the internal hard drive!

Best of luck... I assure you that streaming works great if the network conditions are right.
macd00d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Phobophobia
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Phobophobia
Quote:
It is soooo slow that it is hardly worth the effort.....even for something as simple as a song.
Your post clearly indicates that your network connection is malfunctioning, or you have a faulty unit.

-- Don't Panic
Phobophobia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:13 PM   #5
skinnylegs
macrumors 65816

OK.....I'll admit that I am a nOOb and it is more than likely operator error and I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I have a Linksys Wireless-B, 2.4 GHz, 802.11b Broadband Router. Is it time to get a different router? Is this my problem?

The router is a couple of rooms away. I really don't know how to tell what my connection speed is?

Help!
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:38 PM   #6
LeviG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I have a Linksys Wireless-B, 2.4 GHz, 802.11b Broadband Router. Is it time to get a different router? Is this my problem?
802.11b has a max transmission rate of 11Mbits/s, realistic throughput is usually around 5-7Mbits/s so this is going to slow the transmission somewhat.
802.11g has a max transmission of 54Mbit/s - and that will stream quite easily.
LeviG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:42 PM   #7
zap2
macrumors 604

wireless b...that might be your problem...i have g router and thing are working well for me.

G is about 3x B, and N is about 30x then b...for typical usage
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:45 PM   #8
macrumors 65816

Quote:
OK.....I'll admit that I am a nOOb and it is more than likely operator error and I'm certainly open to suggestions.

The router is a couple of rooms away. I really don't know how to tell what my connection speed is?

Help!
Video streaming? Video streaming is not supported with 802.11b.

I have a mediocre 802.11g connection (brick, steel and concrete in this high rise and about 10 other nearby base signals).

Also, I have a G4 933MHz, just under the 1GHz machine that's in the manual's minimum recommendations... and still it streams video flawlessly. I had only one hiccup with a 720p trailer but the trailers are streamed from the net so that could have been a hiccup on my DSL router.

I'm still testing this thing but I have to say I believe once the Apple Stores get the floor demo units going this ridiculously idiot-proof system will be the single device that boosts demand for internet based distribution of a-la carte movies and TV... and Apple will sell a buttload of these.
Avatar74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:53 PM   #9
skinnylegs
macrumors 65816

Quote:
802.11b has a max transmission rate of 11Mbits/s, realistic throughput is usually around 5-7Mbits/s so this is going to slow the transmission somewhat.
That is the understatement of the year. When I say slow.....I mean *slow*. There is at least a 10 second lag between the tme I click a track to play it and it actually plays.

Looks like I'm off to Best Buy for a new router!
Old Mar 22, 2007, 08:23 PM   #10
NicP
macrumors 6502

Does the computer you are streaming from support (apples pre release) 802.11n (ie a new mac eg core 2 duo macbook)

The apple tv supports n, perhaps you should look at apples new airport extreme (it is a n router) (remember this is a pre release of n so it will only work well with apples n hardware)
NicP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 08:48 PM   #11
michaelsaxon
macrumors 6502

My Linksys G router is working very well with it. In fact, streaming video has been a breeze as well.
michaelsaxon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 09:29 PM   #12
thestaton
macrumors 6502

for the record I have an all G network and I have no problem streaming anything so far. its awesome. I've been syncing all day, and streaming no problems.
thestaton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:29 PM   #13
skinnylegs
macrumors 65816

I just got back from Best Buy with a new Airport Extreme routher (802.11n). Hope this does the trick.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:46 PM   #14
traderx1
macrumors member

i have no problems either

i have a older belking 802.11 g router

and i have been streaming movies. music. and even movie trailers from the internet with not problems at all.
traderx1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:55 PM   #15
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
That is the understatement of the year. When I say slow.....I mean *slow*. There is at least a 10 second lag between the tme I click a track to play it and it actually plays.

Looks like I'm off to Best Buy for a new router!
You need a g card inside your PC as well unless of course its wired to the router with Ethernet.
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:22 AM   #16
skinnylegs
macrumors 65816

Airport Extreme works like a charm. *Huge* difference. Content streams without a stutter. BTW....I guess there is no way to "stream" your photos eh? I'm assuming photos need to be "sync'ed."
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:41 AM   #17
imacdaddy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Airport Extreme works like a charm. *Huge* difference. Content streams without a stutter. BTW....I guess there is no way to "stream" your photos eh? I'm assuming photos need to be "sync'ed."
Photos cannot be streamed. How are you finding the tv?
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:44 AM   #18
skinnylegs
macrumors 65816

Loving it. It does everything I want it to and does so effortlessly. The UI is awesome as well. I really only wanted it for pictures and music but I suppose it's nice being able to stream movies as well.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:51 AM   #19
miTunes75
macrumors 6502

All this time, I thought that apple TV would connect to your mac wirelessly. I didn't know that I needed a wireless router. I thought that was just for internet.

Please straighten out my confusion.
miTunes75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 01:59 AM   #20
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

A wireless router is just a wireless access point with a built-in router.

The Apple TV should work just as well with just a wireless access point.

If you don't have either a wireless router or a wireless access point, then you can connect computers together in something called an ad-hoc network, but I haven't seen any info about the Apple TV working (or not working) with that.
aristobrat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 04:22 AM   #21
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? Streaming either works or it doesn't. If you stream a five minute song, the computer/Apple TV has five minutes time to do it. 4 minutes 55 seconds is fast enough, 5 minutes 5 seconds is too slow. So what is the problem? Does it work, or doesn't it work?
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 04:27 AM   #22
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacdaddy View Post
Photos cannot be streamed.
Which I find is actually quite bad, because I cannot come to your home with a Macbook full of photos and show them on your Apple TV. I think it would also be good if you could stream things from an iPod (either connected to the Apple TV, possiby through the USB port, or connected to any Macintosh in the home).
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 05:15 AM   #23
TBi
macrumors 68030

It might be worth to edit your first post.

Adding in that your problem was that your router was 802.11b and that you upgraded to a better router which fixed your problem.

That would save people with the same problem having to read the whole thread to find the answer.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 07:13 AM   #24
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Does it have to sync? I mean if I have say 200gb of Content, audio and video, and only a 40gb Hard drive in the Unit why would I want to sync more than maybe a few files to have when the PC is off. Is there no way to turn off syncing?
Scarpad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 08:18 AM   #25
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Does it have to sync? I mean if I have say 200gb of Content, audio and video, and only a 40gb Hard drive in the Unit why would I want to sync more than maybe a few files to have when the PC is off. Is there no way to turn off syncing?
Syncing works exactly like it does with an iPod.

You can turn it off completely, turn it on totally, or control how much of each type of media gets synced.
aristobrat is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater