Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joserpaq

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I've been ripping my own legally purchases DVD for a while and putting them on my macbook for viewing in front row and it works great. Those same movies work perfectly streaming to the apple tv but the quality is not great since I encoded them using mp4 and the default settings on handbrake. I tried bumping up the bitrate from 1000 to 2000 and taking the quality up to 100% but these videos play on itunes not the apple tv. I know that whatever plays on the itunes should play on the apple tv but I think I've installed additional codecs on the the laptop that allows itunes to play additional codecs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the optimal settings should be to encode a DVD to play on the apple tv if file size is not a consideration.

TIA

mark-itguy

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
Does anyone have any suggestions on what the optimal settings should be to encode a DVD to play on the apple tv if file size is not a consideration.

TIA

My answer is based on using Windows tools, [like NERO Recode], and making the output compatible with an iPod 5.xG. While I know these settings will work, the Apple TV may handle additional specs higher quality than my answer. But below will still work with an iPod 5.xG and be better than what you said you had done.

AVC\H.264: Max size 640x480, Max video bitrate 1500*, Max AAC audio bitrate 128*

MPEG-4: Max size 640x480, Max video bitrate 2500, not sure about the rest, because 1) my app has only presets and 2) I quit using it, in favor of AVC.

* NERO has presets and 1500 & 128 are the max. But the Windows port of HandBrake allows for manual settings. I have successfully sync'd video to my iPod 5.xG with the following: AVC\H.264: Max size 640x480, Max video bitrate 1536, Max AAC audio bitrate 160

Notes:
1) It is not completely accurate to say whatever iTunes can play should work on an iPod\Apple TV. That is partially true, but, if you get most of the specs of the format correct, but say get the video bitrate too high, they will still import into iTunes, play in iTunes, but fail to sync to an iPod, [and presumably an Apple TV].

2) AVC\H.264 is by far the best way to go, regardless of whether you intend to view the videos in QuickTime, iPod, Apple TV, etc... Regardless of the platform and app used, encoding will indeed be a lot slower. But the result is better quality and a much smaller file size!

Good Luck!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I use handbrake all the time.

You have to encode for what you are using the video for. If you use it for :apple:TV, then you have to encode for those specs. I would use H.264, two-pass for optimum quality for large screen viewing.

Here's the specs from Apple:

Video formats supported
H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps)
iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels or 640 by 480 pixels
MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.