Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applenewb

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Hi all, my first post here :) I'll be making the switch very very soon so as a 20+ year MS user I'm very excited. On to my point:

It seems to me that the current pricing for TV shows is just way too high. Songs may be half the price, but I think for most people you get way more replay value out of a song purchase than a TV show. Am I wrong to think this?

Anyway, I calculated even modest usage of Apple TV as a substitute for cable, something I am 100% willing to do, and the pricing just makes it impossible.

For example, I watch:
House
American Idol (so sue me)
Lost
Battlestar Galactica
Dresden Files
A&E and History Channel Documentaries

Assuming I watch only 7 shows a week, I would be paying 60.00/month to use AppleTV as a standalone. That almost exactly matches my current cable bill.

Granted it would be nice to have TV Shows on demand, and see entire seasons at once, I do not see the benefit or excitement of "owning" episode 21 of House.... do I really want to watch it again?

Regardless, I know AppleTV is meant as a supplement for the movies/shows on demand etc, however I see a very obvious niche Apple could fill if they wanted.

Namely, allow people to purchase shows/series for a *discount*, say even .99/show and let that show persist for x#/days. Then give users the option to pay an extra 1.00 to own it forever. I feel the added volume would more than make up for the reduction in revenue per show.

In that scenario I could watch 7 hours of TV a week and my monthly bill would work out to half my cable bill, which is enticing.

Now sure, most people will use it as a supplement for movies, higher quality broadcasts, and shows they missed or wish to see a whole season of....however with a DVR I don't miss shows and I'm speaking mostly to TV here anyhow.

So, since I'm new maybe this has been discussed (search yielded nothing), but I'd appreciate feedback. Thanks!

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I have purchased a LOT from iTunes and I get very good replay value out of everything I own. Some of these shows I only get from iTunes. Like, South Park, Drawn Together and Prison break.

I have even gone back and watched everything a few times.

The shows on iTunes are not a replacement for a DVR (DVR is for people who want to watch a show once) iTunes is good for people who want to download it now (legally) and keep it to watch over and over again. Once in a while I will be able to catch South Park on Comedy Central but its rare.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'll rewatch a good TV show...House I can watch alot, but that not currently on iTunes.

I've bought 24 the last few weeks, because i didn't have the time to watch on the monday it aired. 2 bucks for TV shows is fine IMO, movies are harder for me to buy. 10 or 15 bucks, so it needs to be a good movie to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.