Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
Hi,

My g5 (see below for specs) has the unfortunate habit of crashing. and i dont mean an App crashes. i mean, when an app hangs, the WHOLE SYSTEM goes with it. slowly but surely, everything stops responding. first its the app, then the dock, then finder, then system menu bar. (yes i have tried force quit from both the menu and the keyboard shortcut.) i am left with no option but to power off and back on. it doesnt happen super often, but it has happened more than enough times for me to think something is wrong. now this is where it gets REALLY annoying.

the reboots are a concern, but it doesnt take long to come back. what does p!ss me off though, is that when i log back in, for some reason my Dock preferences (and nothing else) are ALWAYS reset to defaults.

hardware changes are extra ram, extra hdd and a new burner. i've done hardware test with the original disc, and it reported no errors. (and sheesh does it take a while to check 3gb of ram!)

ANYONE got any ideas what is causing either of these issues? I've done a fresh install in the last couple of months, and i've got a lot less "extra" (little background apps) things running than i used to, but the problem still occurs. whats most worrying is that the last time (which prompted me to post) was caused by Firefox/Komodo. i was installing a firefox extension to enable javascript debugging for Komodo IDE. and BAM. everything starts locking up. i know that this is NOT normal behaviour, but I've run out of ideas on what it could be.

any help would be much appreciated.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I'm guessing you've reset the pram etc. As I understand, pram is not reset on reinstall.

Otherwise, check to make sure your ram is firmly in place and if that is also fine, I'd suggest taking it into apple... oh and have you run hardware diagnostics?

YT

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
hmm. i dont think i reset the pram when i reinstalled, and i dont know why i didnt think of it, thanks for that one..

ran the hardware diagnostic disc that came with the machine on the "long" option, (do u know what a g5 sounds like with fans at full for 2 hours?)

checked the ram once already i think, but i'll check it again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.