Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcwiggin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
I uploaded the intro video its a straight rip for the hard drive.

http://www.mcwiggin.com/AppleTVHacks/movie.htm

Digg me: http://www.digg.com/apple/Apple_TV_Intro_Movie_720p

I have fond the slick photo screen saver its a quartz composer file. I am working on trying to get it to work on regular macs.

For all intents and purposes the Apple TV run os X.

I tried booting the drive on my intel macbook. The boot screen loaded but the AppleTV istelf never came up.

The program that is apple is called BackRow on the unit.

I will post more as I learn more.

I want to run apple system profiler on the apple. Also it seems as if bluetooth frameworks are included in the OS. Maybe apple TV has bluetooth and we don't even know it yet.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I've had a fiddle round with the Quartz Composer files, and it seems that they need to get the images from somewhere. They're going to a direct path to get the images, but unless somebody can tell me where that path is, there's no way of getting the FloatingPhotos.qtz to run (although I haven't tried it out in QuartzComposer yet).

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I've had a fiddle round with the Quartz Composer files, and it seems that they need to get the images from somewhere. They're going to a direct path to get the images, but unless somebody can tell me where that path is, there's no way of getting the FloatingPhotos.qtz to run (although I haven't tried it out in QuartzComposer yet).

My guess is that the screensaver will be a standard option in Leopard, for Screensaver and most likely iTunes as well.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
More hacks available at http://www.appletvhacks.net/

Got this from the site, sounds interesting.

First Apple TV accessories coming soon?
Wired have a story about the as yet unusued USB port seen on the back of the Apple TV. From the article:

Apple TV is all shiny and wonderful and hard to find, but it does have a few shortcomings, such as hard drive too small to hold more than a few HD movies.

Apple bloggers and analysts suspect that may not be a problem for long, noting the as-yet unitilized USB port on the set-top box and recent talks between Apple and Miglia, which makes a variety of TV and VoIP accessories for Macs and PCs.

All the Miglia products have disappeared from the Apple Store, so it seems something could be in the works. Rumors are abound.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
... I will post more as I learn more.

Friendly words of advice:

If Apple legal isn't waiting for both you and your host Monday morning, you'll be very lucky. Apple probably isn't real concerned about people playing around with Apple TV's they've bought, but they very likely will be rather concerned when copies of their OS (or other works) get posted for downloading, because that could mean the Apple OS might end up running on non-Mac hardware.

The result of your "enthusiasm", on display where for any and everyone on earth to easily view, could well be that Apple locks Apple TV down, making it much more difficult for anyone (who legally own an Apple TV) to make changes to their device. And we don't want that do we?

Capiche? :rolleyes:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
What's going to be interesting is to see if they change the frontrow password when they do the first AppleTV update. :eek:

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
So its running 10.4.7. Interesting....

VLC is running.

Oh, the fact that is runs OS X combined with the fact that Apple left the system rather open to modification (by anyone willing to open the case) is more than just "interesting"...

But, as far as I can tell, running VLC or installing codecs on hardware I've purchase isn't illegal. So, Apple probably won't mind much. They might even find it rather "interesting" themselves that people are playing around with the latest Apple toy...

But lets not give Apple reason to do things that makes the "openness" of their new little box disappear. No need to #$#% up a really good thing by doing really stupid things is there?

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
What's going to be interesting is to see if they change the frontrow password when they do the first AppleTV update. :eek:

The first voice synthesizer device I had access to, back in the 70's, was sealed in lead to keep anyone from easily learning it's secrets or doing any modifications to it. Since then, I've come to appreciate the devices the manufacturer leave open; stuff you didn't literally have to hack at (with a icepick) to begin to play with it... :(

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La

I've been scouring the code for about 30mins and haven't found the input yet. Just lots of Input Splitters. This should be soo easy, its making me angry that i can't get it to work.

If you have Quartz Composer, I'm mainly focused on the 3D Transformation hierarchy at this point. Do think this is where it could be?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Well I'm not as capable as my post made me seem (reading back on it now) :(. I've tried fiddling round with the QTZ files in loads of different software, but can't get anything out of them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.