Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 24, 2007, 06:32 PM   #1
loft3
macrumors regular

Exclamation 3 Apple TV questions I need answered.

1. Does it only play movies and TV shows that are in your iTunes library? Or does it act like Front Row and play content from your Movies folder as well?

2. How does it look hooked up to a 480 SD TV? I just found out you can hook them up to SD TVs with component cables.

3. How is streaming on a G network?
loft3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 08:02 PM   #2
roland.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by loft3 View Post
1. Does it only play movies and TV shows that are in your iTunes library? Or does it act like Front Row and play content from your Movies folder as well?

2. How does it look hooked up to a 480 SD TV? I just found out you can hook them up to SD TVs with component cables.

3. How is streaming on a G network?
1. That I don't know yet, but am very curious to find out as I organize my ripped DVDs in Genre folders in my Movies folder for Front Row.

2. Couldn't tell you. I haven't hooked up mine yet, but I have a HDTV.

3. I hear the streaming on a G network is great, doesn't hiccup, even on movies. And I will be using my Airport Extreme G Base Station.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:29 PM   #3
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

AppleTV interacts with your computer via iTunes only, so you were right thinking that it only plays media in your iTunes library.

I've had no problems streaming over G. Watched "The Prestige" DVD last night that my roommate downloaded from the iTS and then streamed to the AppleTV and it never once skipped.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:03 PM   #4
michaelsaxon
macrumors 6502

1. Only from iTunes
2. Dunno
3. Streams very well on my G network with the router upstairs and my AppleTV downstairs. I have yet to have any music or movie stutter.
michaelsaxon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 01:33 AM   #5
zap2
macrumors 604

1) Don't know...all my Vids are in iTunes(but it works like an iPod for syncing so I'd guess no)

2) Still looks good, no worse then anything else on an SDTV

3)Fine...streaming is good, syncing takes a while, but its painless just leave iTunes on and it does it for you.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 02:20 AM   #6
echeck
macrumors 68000

I have a couple questions to add.

The Apple TV has optical audio out, right?

Do movies that you download off the iTS have surround sound, or are they just stereo?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater