Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 24, 2007, 07:44 PM   #1
markw10
macrumors 6502

Does AppleTV stream media from Base Station hard drive?

Now that the Apple TV is being shipped has anyone tried to stream video from a Hard Drive connected via USB to the Airport Extreme Base Station? I have a laptop I can connect to but I have limited hard drive space and would love if I can store my media on the base station hard drive and stream from it.
markw10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:00 AM   #2
askthedust
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to askthedust
This is the answer I'm waiting for too!

We have two laptops and no towers, so Airport Extreme with a hard drive 300GB or more makes a lot of sense to me. If anyone has tried this can you tell us if:

1. Would I need to move my iTunes library to the harddrive as the main library. Then Sync from that to TV.

2. Streaming. Is there a way to store content so that TV could receive content directly from the Airport Extreme hard drive? Or does the connected drive have to have OS X on it?

3. Anyone hacked the TV USB port on the back yet?

4. better idea without purchase of a tower?
askthedust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 05:15 PM   #3
patrick0brien
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to patrick0brien Send a message via Yahoo to patrick0brien
Quote:
Originally Posted by askthedust View Post
1. Would I need to move my iTunes library to the harddrive as the main library. Then Sync from that to TV.
-askthedust

Sure you can, but then you'll be doubling network traffic. I hope your network is gigabit - the TV only cares about the 100mbps into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askthedust View Post
2. Streaming. Is there a way to store content so that TV could receive content directly from the Airport Extreme hard drive? Or does the connected drive have to have OS X on it?
Not yet...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater