Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

physicsnerd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
Okay, I am about to buy a new ipod. However, I can't decide between the 10gig and the 15gig. I don't need the extra 5 gigs for music, as I only have about 3gigs of music. However, I like the idea of the dock, and the carrying case is somthing that I'd purchase anyways, plus having an extra 5gigs never hurts. I'm leaning towards the 15gig model, and what I'd like to know:

1) is there anyone who regrets getting the 15gig over the 10gig? If so why?

2) is the carrying case of a decent quality? Or is it something that I'd be better off getting from a different vender?

3) is it possible to power the dock without having it hooked upto my mac? I like the idea of sticking the dock with my stereo system so that I can just drop the ipod into it?

Any other thoughts you may have on the subject are of course welcome.

Physicsnerd

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i have an old 20gb model but i can answer a few questions. First of all how big is your library? If you think you have or will get close to the 15 then go for it ....but if your at like 8gb i would think a bit longer. As for the case, to me its quite useless and crappy, i use an iskin and if you like your ipod youll probably get a new case too just for that extra sense. Iskin will have a case for the new ipod soon....

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
to answer the question not answered by kwyjibo. yes, you should be able to charge your ipod via the dock without the dock being connected to a mac:

ipod <-> dock <-[fw cable-]> AC adapter <-> power outlet

i got a 10 gb because i didn't care for the dock or the case. (i didn't like the case design... i thought i'd carry my ipod instead of using the belt clip.) i wanted the remote, but i've been fine without it.

if you only have 3 gigs of music, you should consider 10gb. you can always get variety of cases for $20 or so. if you find yourself needing a dock, you can always buy it separately for $40... but it's up to you in the end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.