Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:24 PM   #1
anti-microsoft
macrumors 68000

Lightbulb Apple TV connectors

I have an analog TV. Well Its not completly analog because it has widescreen resolution and Its hooked up with my home cinema speakers.
But it dosen't have component video nor HDMI conectors so I can't hook up an TV
I hope some third party developers create some kind of adaptor!
Because if they don' I don't know if TV is going to be a sucsess.
Remeber that HD Ready TV's are quite new to the market.

Last edited by anti-microsoft; Mar 31, 2007 at 01:16 AM.
anti-microsoft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 05:02 PM   #2
patrick0brien
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to patrick0brien Send a message via Yahoo to patrick0brien
-anti-microsoft

Well, only tv's made in the last two or three years have Component. Without HDMI or Component, you're pretty much sunk.

Though you could get a receiver that takes Component in, and will output to Composite...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:35 AM   #3
anti-microsoft
macrumors 68000

Do they exist? They would be of great help if they do...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:04 AM   #4
patrick0brien
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to patrick0brien Send a message via Yahoo to patrick0brien
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-microsoft View Post
Do they exist? They would be of great help if they do...
-anti-microsoft

Receivers? You bet. Check Denon.

But they're pricey. If you decide to get one, think of it as an investment in the future.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 09:54 AM   #5
SW22
macrumors newbie

My lcd tv is only a year old, but it only has a scart connection. Would a scart to component adapter work? I use one to connect a portable dvd player sometimes, and that works.
SW22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:18 AM   #6
patrick0brien
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW22 View Post
My lcd tv is only a year old, but it only has a scart connection. Would a scart to component adapter work? I use one to connect a portable dvd player sometimes, and that works.
-SW22

I don't see why not as both are analog, and split the Video signals up into channels.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 01:03 AM   #7
anti-microsoft
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Hey, if it did work it would be Fantastic!!
Plus they're not dear at all, $30!
I would so like to have an tv!!
Thanks!!
Old Mar 31, 2007, 01:31 AM   #8
MacinJosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
A scart connector is not a standard as RGB, Component, Composite, S-video are. It's only a connector that can house the before mentioned standards. On a scart connector on a recent TV, you usually have RGB, S-Video and Composite at the same time. In some cases you can have component as well but it totally depends on the TV. What you need to find out is whether or not your scart connector houses the component standard and if it does, get the adapter you mentioned and it should work.

Joshua.
MacinJosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 01:33 AM   #9
MacinJosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks!!
Just know that composite = compo*****. You might be better off investing in a better TV for the future.

Joshua.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 06:58 AM   #10
OldSkoolNJ
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick0brien View Post
-anti-microsoft

Well, only tv's made in the last two or three years have Component. Without HDMI or Component, you're pretty much sunk.

Though you could get a receiver that takes Component in, and will output to Composite...
Actually Component has been on the market for getting close to a decade now. Just for the past 3-4 years its been more commonplace.

Kevin
OldSkoolNJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 09:18 AM   #11
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks!!
Don't get confused: component and composite are different. SCART to component adaptors (actually component to SCART, in this case) exist, but won't help you unless you have SCART inputs on your TV, and it sounds like you don't. Sorry.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 09:27 AM   #12
MacinJosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman42 View Post
Don't get confused: component and composite are different. SCART to component adaptors (actually component to SCART, in this case) exist, but won't help you unless you have SCART inputs on your TV, and it sounds like you don't. Sorry.
Actually, if he's from europe, pretty much every TV here has a SCART connector. And like I explained previously, the SCART connector needs to have component video support for the said adapter to work. However, I don't know of many TVs that support component through the SCART connector.

What would give an acceptable result though is component -> RGB through SCART. Since the ATV supports 480i and the OP has an 480i (or 576i) widescreen TV, that solution would be ideal. RGB and component are similar in quality. I suspect this method could be quite expensive though.

Joshua.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 08:27 AM   #13
GregA
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to GregA Send a message via AIM to GregA
Quote:
As others have said - a component to scart adaptor would only work if your TV's scart was able to accept component. Unfortunately, afaik most scart TV inputs only do RGB, which is different.

There is a converter available in the UK. Not so cheap, but may be useful to you.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03...ter_price_cut/
GregA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:24 AM   #14
pickerin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I have an analog TV. Well Its not completly analog because it has widescreen resolution and Its hooked up with my home cinema speakers.
But it dosen't have component video nor HDMI conectors so I can't hook up an TV
I hope some third party developers create some kind of adaptor!
Because if they don' I don't know if TV is going to be a sucsess.
Remeber that HD Ready TV's are quite new to the market.
You have lots of options:

1) Component -> S-Video adapters. This site (no affiliation) is selling them: http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html Googling will find you alternatives.

2) HDMI->DVI cables. These are everywhere, Apple Stores sell them for $30 I think. However, if your TV doesn't have component it probably doesn't have DVI.

3) You can do two conversions, HDMI -> DVI -> S-Video (the HDMI to DVI and DVI to S-Video are both sold by Apple).

However, keep in mind that it's going to look bad. Fortunately the AppleTV does support 480i which is standard def TV signals.

-Rob
pickerin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 12:08 PM   #15
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerin View Post
3) You can do two conversions, HDMI -> DVI -> S-Video (the HDMI to DVI and DVI to S-Video are both sold by Apple).
I don't think this will work. When you convert HDMI to DVI I'm pretty sure you only get DVI-D, which doesn't carry the analog signal. I think you can only convert DVI-A or DVI-I to analog, such as S-video, VGA, or composite.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:03 PM   #16
GregA
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman42 View Post
I don't think this will work. When you convert HDMI to DVI I'm pretty sure you only get DVI-D, which doesn't carry the analog signal. I think you can only convert DVI-A or DVI-I to analog, such as S-video, VGA, or composite.
That's exactly right. HDMI converts to digital DVI.
Those DVI -> VGA converters convert analog DVI. So no go on that one.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:46 PM   #17
Wilcoo
macrumors newbie

Wouldn't this just do the trick, too?

http://www.directdial.com/SPVIDEOADPT.html
Wilcoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:19 PM   #18
imlucid
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcoo View Post
Wouldn't this just do the trick, too?

http://www.directdial.com/SPVIDEOADPT.html
Nope, that won't work. That adapter is a seven pin adapter, normal svideo takes four. (I bought one snd even tried removing the extra pins but the signal is not compatible).

Kevin
imlucid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:51 PM   #19
Wilcoo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlucid View Post
Nope, that won't work. That adapter is a seven pin adapter, normal svideo takes four. (I bought one snd even tried removing the extra pins but the signal is not compatible).

Kevin
And then you add this to the mix (7-pin s-video to RCA): http://www.s-video.com/7pin.html for $14.

Or am I oversimplifying things?
Wilcoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:17 PM   #20
CaptainWOW
macrumors member

Beat me to it (by a lot actually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolNJ View Post
Actually Component has been on the market for getting close to a decade now. Just for the past 3-4 years its been more commonplace.

Kevin
I was just about to post that in a quick response but you beat me to it. I was going to say that my old TV from 2000 has a component video connection. So does one of my old DVD players - and it's from 1998!
CaptainWOW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:05 AM   #21
imlucid
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcoo View Post
And then you add this to the mix (7-pin s-video to RCA): http://www.s-video.com/7pin.html for $14.

Or am I oversimplifying things?
Hmm, I'm not sure if that would work or not...
imlucid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 06:24 PM   #22
Dazzler
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerin View Post
You have lots of options:

1) Component -> S-Video adapters. This site (no affiliation) is selling them: http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html Googling will find you alternatives.
I have one of these adapters, and while they not cheap (even less so with an Australian to US currency conversion) I can confirm that it works an absolute treat with my television (an 81cm RCA widescreen).

The adaptor itself has inputs for the component cables, and an output to an s-video connection. Audio is completely independent of the converter box.
The adaptor is externally powered, and handles either NTSC or PAL with a flick of a switch.

If your television has no component inputs but has s-video, I highly recommend this adaptor (and no, I have no affiliation).
Old Aug 31, 2007, 06:31 AM   #23
anti-microsoft
macrumors 68000

Ok so here is what ports my TV has:
1x- S-video
1x- composite (audio L and R and Video)
4x- SCART

And THIS is what I was thinking to do:

-Purchase: a component to SCART cable.

Can someone tell me will this work?
Old Aug 31, 2007, 08:29 AM   #24
GregA
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Ok so here is what ports my TV has:
1x- S-video
1x- composite (audio L and R and Video)
4x- SCART

And THIS is what I was thinking to do:

-Purchase: a component to SCART cable.

Can someone tell me will this work?
The standard/original scart separates signals using RGB (separating 3 colours). Component uses YUV (aka YPbPr) - separating the luminosity or something .

However... the technologies have overlapped some, manufacturers setting up their systems to handle whatever comes there way. For example some manufacturers have YUV (instead of RGB) over scart - my satellite receiver sends out YUV via scart when I select that option, and I have a scart->component cable so my TV simply gets a component input.

So you need to see whether your TV's scart will accept YUV (as sent from the AppleTV).

Last edited by GregA; Aug 31, 2007 at 08:38 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater