Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 26, 2007, 03:15 PM   #1
ssk85
macrumors newbie

Apple TV and iPod - best resolution/format?!

Hi

Ive been looking around all sorts of forums trying to work out the best resolution to watch my ripped movies/tv shows. It's all a little confusing and i was hoping someone here might be able to give me a definitive answer....

Whats the best resolution to watch my content on my apple tv, but that will still play on my ipod (as i dont want two copies of everything)? Also whats better for TV playback - H.264 or Mpeg 4?

I'd be grateful if someone here could help me out?!

Thanks
Suf
ssk85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Multimedia
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Multimedia Send a message via Yahoo to Multimedia Send a message via Skype™ to Multimedia
I Have Written A Tutorial On Just This Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk85 View Post
Hi

Ive been looking around all sorts of forums trying to work out the best resolution to watch my ripped movies/tv shows. It's all a little confusing and i was hoping someone here might be able to give me a definitive answer....

Whats the best resolution to watch my content on my apple tv, but that will still play on my ipod (as i dont want two copies of everything)? Also whats better for TV playback - H.264 or Mpeg 4?
I guess my tutorial post #345 in the Handbrake Ripping DVDs to 5G iPod thread was a bit burried and hard to find. I have used this technique to rip thousands of TV shows recorded with EyeTV for both the Video iPod and TV. I use maximum dimensions allowed and 800kbps for SD and 1000kbps for HD. If your source isn't a DVD, then simply make a DVD Image (NOT burn a physical DVD) before ripping in Handbrake NON-H.264 to avoid larger file sizes.

Last edited by Multimedia; Mar 26, 2007 at 03:36 PM.
Multimedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 03:31 PM   #3
ssk85
macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for the quick response. The info was just what i was looking for!

Cheers
Suf
ssk85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater