|Mar 26, 2007, 05:03 PM||#1|
emac connectivity issues. Help!
I have a 2002 EMAC desktop and recently we have moved to a different home where the internet connection setup is more than I can figure out. Upstairs, 3 walls, and 200 ft away is the main wireless modem (Qwest 54 Actiontec). I want to know what other hardware (whether Apple product or not) would make my wireless connection to my desktop strong and reliable. After searching and researching with Best Buy and Apple employees, I have yet to find the correct combination of wireless card, adapters or any other items needed. I currently have a d-link wireless adapter (802.11) and an Airport Express. I know I need a wireless card of some kind but which? And do I need to worry more about increasing the range of the adapter before trying to get the more expensive wireless card?
Any experience with this would be happily accepted.
|Mar 26, 2007, 05:52 PM||#2|
The problem is that you are on an 802.11b or g wireless network (I assume) which just doesn't have the kind of range you need. Whole bunch of options...
1) Wireless repeater? Such as the following... http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=267&sec=0
2) Move the AP Extreme closer to the center of the palace where it's in range.
3) Upgrade the whole network to 802.11n, which has enough range for that kind of situation. You would need to get a new router though, and a USB adapter for the eMac, and I don't know if one exists yet.
4) Run a cable from the eMac to the router. Would be a pain, but it can be done professionally and would be more stable/faster. Hell, if you can afford that kind of house, why not lay down some fiber and upgrade to 10-gigabit ethernet.
5) Switch to a power line network. Also more stable/faster.
6) Move out of your palace and into a house.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Wifi Connectivity Issues||JackJack941||Mac Basics and Help||1||Aug 27, 2013 11:46 AM|
|Resolved: Internet Connectivity Issues||tylerjamison||Community Discussion||8||Sep 29, 2012 05:30 PM|
|Connectivity issues(iphone 5)||cptspock||iPhone||0||Sep 25, 2012 07:31 PM|
|Network Connectivity issues||viking47||iOS 6||0||Sep 21, 2012 03:06 PM|
|internet connectivity issues||Seanymac||OS X||2||Sep 6, 2012 11:51 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.