Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 27, 2007, 09:28 AM   #1
ziwi
macrumors 65816
 
ziwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Right back where I started...
Overview: MacRumors Nike+ Challenges

This thread is the entry point for the MacRumors Nike+ Running Challenges. It can be called the MacRumors 'running club' Everyone is welcome! Perhaps there will be a new product from Apple in the future called iRun or Run

The idea behind this came with the Nike+ product and great forum members in LikeTom and DoctorQ. This is the place where anyone in our 'little' community can participate and virtually run with the members here.

Each month we create challenges and have members of this forum sign up for motivation, competition, love of running or just for fun. There are challenges for total distance, age breakdowns for distance, average distance (so some others have a chance), and race challenges (1 mi, 5k, and 10K) - you can sign up for which ever ones you would like and will be invited to participate each month.

Click here to see the community's milestones!


The history of the challenges can be seen here:

2009
20082007 Each month a new thread will start and be added to this list as an entry point for discussion. I hope the membership continues to grow so we can have all of the members here one day joining us and trying to stay fit (I mean you know that computer folks have a rap about the shape they are in ). Let's buck the trends and have some fun and get moving.

Anyone interested in joining can PM me or ask within a monthly thread. Any general questions about the events or ideas can be done here.

Keep running - or start running or walking for that matter - everyone is welcome.

Last edited by ziwi; May 8, 2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Added June, 2008 link
ziwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 09:41 AM   #2
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
thanks ziwi ! hopefully this will get more people signed up and running
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 01:28 PM   #3
spicyapple
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
In place of it being non-sticky, participants could put it in their signature lines. Hopefully get more challangers.
__________________
spicyapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Veritas&Equitas
macrumors 68000
 
Veritas&Equitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Whatever the April challenges are, I'd like to be included in any/all of them, thanks! NikeID:.
__________________
Alum. Macbook 2.4 ghz/4gb/500gb || 16gb iPhone 4||
32gb iPad 3G||

Last edited by Veritas&Equitas; Dec 16, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Veritas&Equitas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:05 PM   #5
xJulianx
macrumors 6502a
 
xJulianx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brighton, UK
I'd quite like to join in starting April.
xJulianx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:18 PM   #6
ziwi
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
ziwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Right back where I started...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJulianx View Post
I'd quite like to join in starting April.
No problem - just need your Nike+ ID
ziwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:24 PM   #7
xJulianx
macrumors 6502a
 
xJulianx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brighton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziwi View Post
No problem - just need your Nike+ ID
Sorry my bad, didn't really think - I haven't got the special Nike+ shoes. Or an iPod for that matter.

xJulianx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:32 PM   #8
Veritas&Equitas
macrumors 68000
 
Veritas&Equitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJulianx View Post
Sorry my bad, didn't really think - I haven't got the special Nike+ shoes. Or an iPod for that matter.

LOL! That is totally priceless! LOL, made my day!
__________________
Alum. Macbook 2.4 ghz/4gb/500gb || 16gb iPhone 4||
32gb iPad 3G||
Veritas&Equitas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 02:33 PM   #9
xJulianx
macrumors 6502a
 
xJulianx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brighton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas&Equitas View Post
LOL! That is totally priceless! LOL, made my day!
*sinks down even further into chair*

xJulianx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 05:10 PM   #10
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJulianx View Post
*sinks down even further into chair*

oh don't worry about it. this can give you a reason to get an ipod though....
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 05:14 PM   #11
emw
macrumors 603
 
emw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJulianx View Post
*sinks down even further into chair*

I don't think he was trying to belittle you - it was a little confusing if you're not familiar with what the subject is.

But like twoodcc says - it's a good reason to go get the iPod Nano and Nike+ kit. I got them after the challenges here got started, and I love it.

BTW - you don't need the Nike shoes - you can just attach the Nike+ sensor to your existing running shoes using any number of methods, including commercially available holders.
__________________
Think. Then post.
emw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 05:41 PM   #12
Veritas&Equitas
macrumors 68000
 
Veritas&Equitas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by emw View Post
I don't think he was trying to belittle you - it was a little confusing if you're not familiar with what the subject is.
True emw, I wasn't trying to belittle him at all. Just laughed because the subject was about Nike+ and he doesn't have the sensor, much less the iPod. It was just humorous to me, lol, sorry. Didn't mean to criticize at all.
Quote:
BTW - you don't need the Nike shoes - you can just attach the Nike+ sensor to your existing running shoes using any number of methods, including commercially available holders.
Exactly. I have the Asics Gel-Nimbus VIII's and use the Marware case for carrying my sensor and it works just great!
__________________
Alum. Macbook 2.4 ghz/4gb/500gb || 16gb iPhone 4||
32gb iPad 3G||
Veritas&Equitas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 03:55 PM   #13
ziwi
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
ziwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Right back where I started...
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyapple View Post
In place of it being non-sticky, participants could put it in their signature lines. Hopefully get more challangers.

Great idea!
__________________

ziwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 06:56 PM   #14
rickvanr
macrumors 68040
 
rickvanr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brockville
Send a message via ICQ to rickvanr Send a message via AIM to rickvanr Send a message via MSN to rickvanr Send a message via Yahoo to rickvanr
Thanks for taking charge of April Ziwi..

I love Nike+ It's my addiction
__________________
rickdiculous.. < o >
rickvanr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:52 AM   #15
lawalsey
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
hey Ziwi. I'd like to join. really good idea. I'm also officially a Nike+ superuser and i weas invited to Nike HQ in Holland earlier this year to test new products and participate in focus groups. i could upload pics if anyone's interested.


Nike ID: Chief Lawal


p.s. is any one in the Uk going to the Nike+ event in Battersea Park on saturday?
lawalsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:18 AM   #16
Applespider
macrumors 603
 
Applespider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawalsey View Post
p.s. is any one in the Uk going to the Nike+ event in Battersea Park on saturday?
No... I don't know anyone fast enough to make it into the top 1000. Saw the sign at the Nikestore a few weeks back but was surprised that it never popped up on the Nike+ website. I think I knew more about the SF Women's Half Marathon than a local event which was sad.

Sounds impressive to be a superuser - so can we tell you what added features we'd like before you go visit again? My personal wishlist includes settings for indoors (treadmill) and outdoors so I can track which is which more easily.
__________________
Oops.... the cat killed the rabbit
Applespider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:24 AM   #17
ziwi
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
ziwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Right back where I started...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawalsey View Post
hey Ziwi. I'd like to join. really good idea. I'm also officially a Nike+ superuser and i weas invited to Nike HQ in Holland earlier this year to test new products and participate in focus groups. i could upload pics if anyone's interested.


Nike ID: Chief Lawal


p.s. is any one in the Uk going to the Nike+ event in Battersea Park on saturday?

Is that a proper nike+ id? I will try it...let me know...
__________________

ziwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:28 AM   #18
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawalsey View Post
hey Ziwi. I'd like to join. really good idea. I'm also officially a Nike+ superuser and i weas invited to Nike HQ in Holland earlier this year to test new products and participate in focus groups. i could upload pics if anyone's interested.


Nike ID: Chief Lawal


p.s. is any one in the Uk going to the Nike+ event in Battersea Park on saturday?

nice to have you aboard

and i would love to see some pics

that's awesome that you're a superuser. i was very happy to see that nike contacted me about my nike+ story, and glad to have them send me a nice armband for free (1000+).
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:47 AM   #19
lawalsey
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applespider View Post
No... I don't know anyone fast enough to make it into the top 1000. Saw the sign at the Nikestore a few weeks back but was surprised that it never popped up on the Nike+ website. I think I knew more about the SF Women's Half Marathon than a local event which was sad.

Sounds impressive to be a superuser - so can we tell you what added features we'd like before you go visit again? My personal wishlist includes settings for indoors (treadmill) and outdoors so I can track which is which more easily.
I got an email for a Nike+ supersonic VIP invite and i can take a guest. i'm not running...

I don't know when the next meet up is but yeah. At the last one Nike where really trying to hit the social networking market and learn through forums like this one. I agree with the teadmill and outdoor comment. i find i run faster on a treadmill. By the way we where chosen as Super users by our demographic rather than mileage we've run... just mentioning that because some forum users on the Nike+ site got a bit angry when they weren't chosen in relation to the miles thay had run.

pics to come...
lawalsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:24 AM   #20
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawalsey View Post
I got an email for a Nike+ supersonic VIP invite and i can take a guest. i'm not running...

I don't know when the next meet up is but yeah. At the last one Nike where really trying to hit the social networking market and learn through forums like this one. I agree with the teadmill and outdoor comment. i find i run faster on a treadmill. By the way we where chosen as Super users by our demographic rather than mileage we've run... just mentioning that because some forum users on the Nike+ site got a bit angry when they weren't chosen in relation to the miles thay had run.

pics to come...
that's still awesome that you got picked though.

looking forward to the pics

also, do you know if any new nike+ products/software is coming out soon? (sorry, but i had to ask)
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:48 PM   #21
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus
 
Mudbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Central Colorado
Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
I just "stickied" this thread for posterity. Now get back to running.
__________________
I think I understand what you're talking about, but where are we going to find a duck and a rubber hose at this time of night?
Mudbug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:24 AM   #22
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
I just "stickied" this thread for posterity. Now get back to running.
alright! thanks for making this a "sticky".

will be running as soon as i get home from work!
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:56 PM   #23
mr.corp
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Trying to get into 250,000 mile club

How would I get into that group, I clicked join but it does not appear under my active challenges. Can you add me Nike+ username is Mr.Corp
mr.corp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:12 PM   #24
Dr.Gargoyle
macrumors 65816
 
Dr.Gargoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lat: 55.7222N, long: 13.1971E
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.corp View Post
Trying to get into 250,000 mile club
...are you trying to kill us? :P
__________________
Don't insult the freaks.
Dr.Gargoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:36 AM   #25
mr.corp
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.corp View Post
How would I get into that group, I clicked join but it does not appear under my active challenges. Can you add me Nike+ user name is Mr.Corp
Sorry I meant to say 25,000 mile club.
mr.corp is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacRumors Nike Fuelband Thread rockyroad55 Community Discussion 129 Nov 30, 2013 05:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC