Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Now I just want to find a way to make that run on a PC and I can turn this old HP into a sweet AppleTV. :D

I'm really surprised at how little time this all took. You think Apple would have better security or something on the software that would ensure it would only run on an AppleTV.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I'm really surprised at how little time this all took. You think Apple would have better security or something on the software that would ensure it would only run on an AppleTV.

99.9% of potential customers wouldn't hack the ATV software and run it on a dell even if you hand it to them on a DVD. the only reason to buy the ATV (for me) would be that it works right out of the box with no need to even read the manual. i don't think that apple loses any noticable sales just because a few people run it on different hardware.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Turning a Macbook into an AppleTV seems a little like replacing your car's engine with a lawn mower engine, but if you want a really expensive AppleTV I don't think Apple will mind. Likewise Apple makes a profit on these things so hacks to AppleTV can only help them sell. The main thing is that the modifications are unofficial so Apple is not responsible for them.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
how about turning a crap G4 into a media center, something with a nice RAID setup for media streaming and storage.

AFAIK this will only work on Intel-macs though, but who knows, a hack is a hack.

Id like to get a mini-OSX onto a piece of crap G4, and run that.

hegor

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2006
99.9% of potential customers wouldn't hack the ATV software and run it on a dell even if you hand it to them on a DVD. the only reason to buy the ATV (for me) would be that it works right out of the box with no need to even read the manual. i don't think that apple loses any noticable sales just because a few people run it on different hardware.

I agree. Its even stretching it a bit expecting the average user to use handbrake to encode DVDs to iTunes to play on ATV.

None of the hacks have yet to entice me from altering my ATV. Larger hard drive, thats what streaming is for. Many of the other codecs are for the cheapass pirate crowd to steal movies off of bit torrent. Most pirates are windows nerds who would rather connect their pcs to their tv or are so socially inept they are fine watching their pirated warez on a monitor all alone in their dungeon. I'm sure some pirate will have windows running on one soon.

In other news pirates refuse to pay for anything and content provides refuse to lower prices. When content providers die and go to hell they will have to find a way to get along with the pirates.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Most pirates are windows nerds who would rather connect their pcs to their tv or are so socially inept they are fine watching their pirated warez on a monitor all alone in their dungeon. I'm sure some pirate will have windows running on one soon.

In other news pirates refuse to pay for anything and content provides refuse to lower prices. When content providers die and go to hell they will have to find a way to get along with the pirates.

hostility? why?

i use BT, and I use a XBMC.

hegor

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2006
hostility? why?

i use BT, and I use a XBMC.

Perhaps my comment was a bit mean. Piracy is theft. Theft is theft. Nothing is wrong with hod rodding your car, but endangering the public with unsafe high speed driving is wrong. See what I'm saying? Not that modding your eletronic equipment is unsafe, its just going to be used 99% of the time for theft.

I understand that content is overpriced. Way overpriced. The fundamental problem is that most pirates are cheapasses who won't pay for anything, and that content providers/copyright holders believe they are entitled to obscene profits.

So asking me to pick a side or support one over the other is like asking me who I favor, a social outcast who lives in the mountains refusing to pay taxes or an IRS agent climbing up the mountain to audit him.

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
its just going to be used 99% of the time for theft.

Maybe. But it's worng to assume thats what everyone wants these mods for. My father films alot with his camera and the software exports to either .avi(xvid) or .wmv

You can guess which i told him to do.

Also i have a freind who does documentary films and while he can export to anything. Most of the files he's given to freinds are encoded xvid.

So for me modded :apple:tv's mean alot of time i don't need to spend re-encoding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.