Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oceanjaws

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
help!
i recently bust my phone with all the contacts on the phone NOT the sim card.
stupid, i know, but i didn't forsee the breaking of my phone.
so i hooked my replacement phone up to my macbook and hit sync.
it didn't ask which way i wanted the info to run, and proceeded to put the contents of my phone onto my book.
now i have lost all my addresses
in trash there was a folder called AB141, but it only had one of the addresses. any ideas as to how i can get the addresses back?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
There should be an Address Book.old or somesuch in your Library folder somewhere (in Application Support maybe?). I'm fuzzy on the details and at work so I can't really look for sure, but I'm pretty sure it stores pre-sync states.

Make sure you set iSync to overwrite the phone's info with your local info, at least the first time. This will guarantee that your computer's phone numbers will be pushed to the phone. Then set it back to two-way sync and you should be good to go.

oceanjaws

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
well, i found addressbook.data.previous, but couldn't find an app to open it with
tried dragging it into address book and opening it with adobe, but no joy!
so close, yet so far no biscuit.
any further advice?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
well, i found addressbook.data.previous, but couldn't find an app to open it with
tried dragging it into address book and opening it with adobe, but no joy!
so close, yet so far no biscuit.
any further advice?
Why not just remove the .previous and move it over top of the addressbook.data? Quit Address Book first, and back up both files just in case. Seems to me then it'd just read it as the data file and you'd have all your stuff back.

Nirja

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
Mumbai, India
Maybe this will help?

http://jpgeek.blogspot.com/2006/11/restoring-addressbookapp-contact.html

I found that ^, while searching for my own unique address book issue. I think that'll help you guys.
My problem remains. I synced my Address book with my BB using Pocketmac, and out of 205 contacts, my Address book shows just 55. I am losing my head. Please tell me there's a way to retrieve the rest!!

Ps- The BB's gone. Serves it right!!
And the new Nokia's practically contact- less :'(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.