Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuweiyu16

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
I am just wondering if there are any out there who at first considered getting the low end MBP and ended up getting the black MB and whether you have regretted your decision due to the smaller screen size along with a videocard that is not as terrific as the low end MBP?

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
i did the opposite. i originally planned on getting the mid range macbook however after a lot of consideration i eventually got a C2D, 2.33 15" MBP.
The main reasons for this were;
screen size
graphics card - for aperture use and casual gaming
power

i have not regretted this, i have a friend with a macbook and the size differences are not that great. i find the screen on the macbook pro much better as well as it being a much more powerful machine.

i hope this can help you in some way

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I am just wondering if there are any out there who at first considered getting the low end MBP and ended up getting the black MB and whether you have regretted your decision due to the smaller screen size along with a videocard that is not as terrific as the low end MBP?

What kind of usage will you be giving the laptop? Maybe we can help you come to a decision.

shuweiyu16

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
What kind of usage will you be giving the laptop? Maybe we can help you come to a decision.
Hey, thanks.
I am mostly going to be using for internet surfing, music on itunes, msn'ing, making use of microsoft word, organizing my collection of photos, downloading torrents etc.
I will be travelling extensively over the next year or so, there fore I would like something durable that will last me the next 4 or 5 years, I am hesitant with getting the black MB because of the amount of smudges I have heard about plus the screen is a little small for me, however the MBP is another 1000 dollars extra. So I have a dilemma on my hands.

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
this is pretty much what i do. I have an ever expanding image library and i knew that i wanted to use aperture. If you are serious about your photography (especially if you are travelling) you should really consider aperture. although aperture is supported on macbooks it uses a fair amount of ram and you need a decent graphics card - this is really more suited to the macbook pro, especially if you are going to be travelling so will only have on machine to do everthing on - i cant stress enough that i do not consider the size difference between the macbook pro and macbook that great. they are the same thickness and the footprint is nothing compared to the benefits.
(i take my macbook pro in and out of school every day, in these days i go to about 5 different classrooms and normally dont have to take the power adaptor to school with me 9am-5pm) i expect the macbook will have slightly better battery life and maybe slightly more portable, however the macbook pro still easily fits in your bag and is good to carry around - it depends on what you are going to do.

sorry i minced around a bit

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Hey, thanks.
I am mostly going to be using for internet surfing, music on itunes, msn'ing, making use of microsoft word, organizing my collection of photos, downloading torrents etc.

You don't need a MacBook Pro for those tasks and the MacBook will handle them fine.

shuweiyu16

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
You don't need a MacBook Pro for those tasks and the MacBook will handle them fine.

If I am going to be browsing through thousands of photos will the specifications from the black Macbook be okay? One of my major fears is the computer jamming and slowing down while I brose through my images.

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Yes, and give your MacBook 2GB of RAM to see even better performance. I wish that the Black MacBook had 2GB of RAM and make those $200 more worth it than the 2.0GHz white MacBook.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I did the opposite too. I was thinking about the Black MB, but I decided to go with the MBP, and I don't regret it. I really was going for the matte and bigger screen. But the Black MB would have been fine too.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I was tossing back and forth on this and I decided that I would go with a MBP once their line is updated with Santa Rosa and Leopard.

The Blackbook looking like a fryer (so much grease!) at the Apple Store really turned me off to purchasing it.

schmintan

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
i was going to get the black macbook but ended up with a MBP 2.33 C2D. If your travelling and want a durable laptop, get the black macbook. I feel for some reason, the plastic case will withstand more abuse. sure the MBP is made from alumunium, but i feel that could get dented or bent, where plastic would bounce back to shape ( but if your subjecting your laptop to suituations where this happens then your a fool anyway!) and accidents do occasionally happen. also, as your not doing any crazy image processing/ development, the black macbook should suit your needs perfectly. thats just my own little opinion on the matter. One thing about you saying your going to wait for santa rosa. Apple have a bad history with first revisions of products, and generally the second release is better ( this is very evident with the MBP), so id say buy a C2D now, or wait 18 - 24 months and see about a 2nd revision santa rosa. i have read this a lot online. again, thats just another one of my opinions( shared by many more people).

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
I did this! i wanted a 17 inch MBP but was just going to be too big, and yes i no they do a 15.4!

I love my MBM and wouldn't change it for the world! (well maybe) :p

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2006
I almost bought the black mb. I saw one at my university on display from the tech serv department and I thought it was outstanding. However, I purchased the mbp because of the larger screen, backlit keyboard, better graphics card and the faster processor. I really like the look of the black mb and wish apple made a black mbp, but the AL is still beautiful. I'd be happy with either, but I'm glad I bought the mbp. I occasionally play games and use it on my dell 20" monitor.

>>CM

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I was given a MBP and gave the giver my MB. I had no idea how big a difference there was. I really loved my Black MB, but this MBP is just on a different level. Amazing.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
I was thinking about this too, but I just like smaller screens...I'm not sure if it's a woman thing or not, but I just like the smaller look and I want to throw a red cover on mine by speckz.....if they made it in red i'd love it....I'll probably just supercharge the ram somewhere down the line, but I like the look and the style of the regular C2D macbook better

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Funny story, I originally had a 12" PowerBook G4 and wanted to upgrade to the Intel based Macs. I was going to get a MBP, but then went for a black MB, decided I hated the screen ratio and black border around the laptop's screen, so I sold the black MB on eBay, and bought a MBP on eBay that I have been immensely happy with.

Long story short, the MBP's screen is much easier on the eyes.

Of note, a friend just got a white MacBook, and I must say that that one's screen is much easier to look at. The black MB is just plain awkward looking.

Rovias

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2005
I did, and I don't regret a thing. The Black MacBook is an awesome machine, and if you need portability, it can't be beat.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
I've gone from ..

2.0Ghz CD MBP w/ 128MB X1600 to
2.16Ghz CD MBP w/256MB X1600 to
2.0GHz CD Black MB to
2.33Ghz C2D MBP w/256MB X1600 final

All systems were equipped with 2GB Ram.

Although the Macbook was nice in Black.. because I got it for a low price... I was able to get a lot more than what I paid for.. even after 6 months of use.

In the end.. I missed the MBP speakers, the bigger screen (I found it brighter too), and the backlit keyboard..

If your paying retail pricing.. the extra ~500 is well worth it..

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
i did the opposite. i originally planned on getting the mid range macbook however after a lot of consideration i eventually got a C2D, 2.33 15" MBP.
The main reasons for this were;
screen size
graphics card - for aperture use and casual gaming
power

i have not regretted this, i have a friend with a macbook and the size differences are not that great. i find the screen on the macbook pro much better as well as it being a much more powerful machine.

i hope this can help you in some way

I did precisely the same thing.

zimtheinvader

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
the capitol
MBP more durable?

I would have to disagree with the opinions being expressed here about durability. The casing of my 12" metal Powerbook is almost like new after 2 hard years, whereas my 12" ibook was scuffed, cracked, unstable and discolored after less than one year of use. Both computers were used extensively during college, though the PB I used more since it became my only computer. Really, the plastic of the iBook/MB is NOT more durable than the professional (PB/MBP) line!! Also, I believe the most recent MBP (C2D) revision improved battery life to the point of being comperable or better than the MB. (Don't quote me though). I reccomend a Brenthaven Case either way. It has kept my PB in excellent condition!

Personally I'm fighting the urge to score a Black MB from Amazon, and trying to wait it out to finance a Leopard MBP from Apple this June (I hope!!!)

The MacBook is an *incredible* machine, either way, blows G5's away!! (amazing since I used to edit FCP HD on them!) especially good value if you don't intend to wait until the next update, which is still not even confirmed...

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
No, I considered the MBP and that's what I got. My old iBook G4 14" was great and all, but it was lacking in the graphics area, same with the MacBook. Except the MacBook was even worse because it only comes with glossy screens and I despise those.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
I was going to get a 17 inch MBP but then I just the top end white MB...

I just didn't want to spend the money, it was too much. I did order the 17 inch but then the more I waited for it the more I was really excited about getting a MB, so I canceled my order and waited for the C2D MB to be released.

The funny thing is that because of the delay on 17 MBP I got my MB before I would of ever got my MBP.

I'm really happy with the MB. In the future I'd consider upgrading to a 15 inch MBP. I'm not too sure about the 17 inch... I'll have to think about it when the time comes in a couple of years.

The Stig

Chimaera

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2002
I was originally going to buy a Macbook Pro (the low end one) and ended up going for the black Core2Duo Macbook, and aside from a nasty case of 'new car owner' syndrome I couldn't be happier.

For what its worth my uses:

DVDs,
Video playback through HDTV
Reencoding video
General internetting
A bit of gaming (WoW mainly)

Basically the only thing I miss is the lighted keyboard of the pros - while the dedicated graphics hardware would be nice, the intel onboard handles WoW acceptably well and besides, I've got a gaming-grade PC in my office - the laptop is just a periodic stand-in :).

For me what clinched it was a) the form factor - 13.3" vs 15.4" screen doesn't sound like much but the MB is a *lot* more portable than the MBP and b) the screen - its a very good quality screen and since I'm doing a lot of DVD/video watching on the thing I preferred the glossy display.

So yeah, I considered the pro, chose the black mb and have absolutely zero regrets :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.