Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xJus10x

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I'm trying to rip my Talladega Nights DVD because I plan on buying the :apple:TV soon, but when the rip completes there is only about 50 secs of video. I'm using HandBrake. Does anyone have any suggestions or alternate programs?

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I have embarked on a similar project. So far I have ripped 213 DVD's. But, there have been 8 that did, just what you are describing. I have a PM and MP both working on the project and tried the DVD's in both. No luck. I did not have a lot of time to mess with it. So, I just used MTR. I have lots of disk space, and do not mind some of these DVD's being large. In summary, I have experienced the same thing, but cannot offer a solution. Sorry. :(

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
I have embarked on a similar project. So far I have ripped 213 DVD's. But, there have been 8 that did, just what you are describing. I have a PM and MP both working on the project and tried the DVD's in both. No luck. I did not have a lot of time to mess with it. So, I just used MTR. I have lots of disk space, and do not mind some of these DVD's being large. In summary, I have experienced the same thing, but cannot offer a solution. Sorry. :(

I am willing to bet that the discs you are having problems with are Sony Picture Productions.

The Sony movies are the only ones I have had problems with - it is a known problem over in the handbrake forum (something to do with sony intentional corrupting sectors and handbrake being unable to process them) but I have no real idea of how to get around it other than to boot into XP and use Clone DVD / AnyDVD to make an image than rip as normal.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I have tried to rip Talladega Nights as well ( a few times with different settings) and cant get it to work. I have ripped like 300 some DVDs into my library so far, and only TN, and Donnie Darko have given me problems. Annoying for sure.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
I have tried to rip Talladega Nights as well ( a few times with different settings) and cant get it to work. I have ripped like 300 some DVDs into my library so far, and only TN, and Donnie Darko have given me problems. Annoying for sure.

Both are Sony Pictures - Mac the Ripper 3 (I believe that is the current Beta) can be used to decode the broken sector information and create an image of the disc that handbrake can handle.

I think to recieve MTR3 Beta you have to donate money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.