Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonmf76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2006
I am trying to figure out what is the best memory 1gb or other for my MacBook Pro 1.83 15"(currently 512mb) bought it in May ...there seems to be a lot of debate. Kingston no good? If so, then what else?

I looked at http://www.datamemorysystems.com/AMM15.asp and the price is right, but the quality?

What 'should" I be searching for? I do a lot of large file photography and some video editing.

Can I max this out to more than 2GB?

Thanks!

Jon

jonmf76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2006
is this any good? It is from Crucial.com. Is it HIGH quality?

"2GB kit (1GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module

* Currency converter
* Live help!

2GB kit (1GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module
CT541067
US $145.99
sale tag - US $14.60
US $131.39

On Sale Promotion Part 10% Discount

* Module Size: 2GB kit (1GBx2)
* Package: 200-pin SODIMM
* Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300
* Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64"

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I would go with DMS...they're an excellent Mac RAM vendor, and that's a solid price from them. They stand behind their products, too, so they'll take great care of you if you ever have any problems. (I'd probably go with the lifetime warranty sticks instead of the EconoRAM.)

I refuse to patronize Crucial due to their pricing games.

nicksoper

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Cape Town

Accorinding to OWC, the link is here, the RAM situation breaks down like this:

Core 1 Duo Macbook Pro's:
Max RAM: 2GB
Max HDD: 200GB

Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro's:
Max RAM: 3GB

Then the plain Macbook's (doesn't specify core 1 or core 2 duos):
Max RAM: 3GB

So I'll have to make do with a mere 2GB's until the next round of updates, like HD optical drive, Flash OSX boot, Brighter Screens, Better Battery life, etc.
Cheers

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
I would have to verify it on the Apple web site, but if I recall correctly, only the C2D machines will allow a maximum of 3G of RAM - the CD will only accept 2G.

Not to mention that the 2G RAM modules are still pretty pricey. I would be curious as to the performance gain with the additional gig of RAM, and if it's really worth it.

MD

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
I would have to verify it on the Apple web site, but if I recall correctly, only the C2D machines will allow a maximum of 3G of RAM - the CD will only accept 2G.

Not to mention that the 2G RAM modules are still pretty pricey. I would be curious as to the performance gain with the additional gig of RAM, and if it's really worth it.

MD

2 gig of Ram stick at OWC is 237.00, next to 400 and up and a lifetime warranty thats not a bad deal, to me at least. I have not scene nor read anything against OWC and from dealing with them lately they have been excellent

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
2 gig of Ram stick at OWC is 237.00, next to 400 and up and a lifetime warranty thats not a bad deal, to me at least. I have not scene nor read anything against OWC and from dealing with them lately they have been excellent

Oooh! :eek: I hope you didn't take my comment about RAM prices as a reflection on OWC! It certainly wasn't intended that way. Maybe you were commenting on a previous post in the thread?

I have patronized OWC since I became a Mac person before it was a fashionable. They have always had very competitive pricing on RAM as well as many wonderful Mac-specific products. I highly recommend them as a vendor. One nice thing about OWC is that they watch the memory market very closely and adjust prices almost daily, so you always get the best deal.

For that matter, I just bought a 1G RAM module from them for the refurb MBP I bought last month.

MD

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
OWC's 2GB stick price is really appealing. I'm very close to ordering one right now.

Order it come on Just Do it :):D

Mine arrives on Monday, I have the Samsung 1 gig in there now, but for the price of the 2 gig and my ""financial advisor "The WIFE" saying Oh Yeaaaaa go ahead, why didnt you do that before?""

And to MacDann, no I didnt take anything the wrong way, OWC and DrBott have been the best.

Now what I need to find is a FANTASTIC Deal ON AppleCare for my MBP

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Now what I need to find is a FANTASTIC Deal ON AppleCare for my MBP

That's easy enough. If you qualify as an educational customer (and darned near everyone can one way or another) you can get it from Apple for $USD 239.00. I've noticed there are resellers on eBay with AppleCare, but I would be a little leery of that. . .

I wouldn't buy a Mac without getting AppleCare, especially a notebook.

MD

jonmf76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2006
thread thieves! :rolleyes:

btw, I ordered the 2x1GB kit from DMS and they were quite nice and professional.

I actually ordered a 1GB kit before I saw that they had the 2gb kit, (although it is really just 2 of the 1gbs, instead of a real kit) and called to change my order after hours. They (Nancy) put a hold on the order until I could call and was able to make the change. Their customer service is what would keep me coming baclk as well as the price ($138 for 2GB for the MBP 1.83gHz)

thanks for the reccos...

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Always Buy RAM From Omni Tech Via Ramseeker.com

I always buy from Omni Tech via Ramseeker.com. Others here like to poo poo Omni for their extraordinary low prices, but I've never had a problem with them ever. By using Ramseeker.com I am immediately simultaneously on-one-screen in touch with what all of the major vendors of RAM are selling their's for compared to others. I think Omni Tech sells excellent RAM for the lowest price every time. :)

$111.98 right now for just as good RAM as the more expesive sources. CL=3 too. You could've saved $26 going with Omni.

NOTE: Had you gone through Ramseeker.com to Data Memory Systems, your kit would have only cost you $120 for their EconRAM Kit — Only 1 yr warranty. But the Omni RAM that's only $112 includes a lifetime warranty like the RAM you paid $138 for at DMS and it has a much lower latency of 3 vs. 5 that you bought for more money.

Also NOTE: The price is higher if you go to Omni directly. Only through Ramseeker (I provied your kit's link above at the price) do you get a bargain price. Some people here think that's a bad thing. I think it's just business. ;)

Sorry I wasn't here earlier to help you before you placed your order. Just missed you by about an hour. :(

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I always buy from Omni Tech via Ramseeker.com. Others here like to poo poo Omni for their extraordinary low prices, but I've never had a problem with them ever. By using Ramseeker.com I am immediately simultaneously on-one-screen in touch with what all of the major vendors of RAM are selling their's for compared to others. I think Omni Tech sells excellent RAM for the lowest price every time. :)

$111.98 right now for just as good RAM as the more expesive sources. CL=3 too. You could've saved $26 going with Omni.

Also NOTE: Had you gone through Ramseeker.com to Data Memory Systems, your kit would have only cost you $120 for their EconRAM Kit — Only 1 yr warranty. But the Omni RAM that's only $112 includes a lifetime warranty like the RAM you paid $138 for at DMS and it has a much lower latency of 3 vs. 5 that you bought for more money.

NOTE: The price is higher if you go to Omni directly. Only through Ramseeker (I provied your kit's link above at the price) do you get a bargain price. Some people here think that's a bad thing. I think it's just business. ;)

FFS Multimedia - How many times do I have to post that Omni prevaricates about their latency?

There. Are. No. SODIMM. Chips. That. Run. CL3. At. 667 MHz. Especially not at under $100 per module.

My assumption (and I have not bought a sample to prove it but I am getting sorely tempted) is that Omni are quoting the latency the RAM is capable of only if the speed is downclocked to 400 MHz. Which is misleading the buyer in the worst way.

So: the obligatory response to the original poster. Before dealing with a company, check their rating on www.resellerratings.com
I suggest you would want to deal with a seller that had higher than a 3 out of 10 approval rating

(Data Memory Systems, OTOH, has a 10 out of 10 rating , which I can vouch for having dealt with them for 6 years)

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Sorry got to stick with OWC, because of the service, and prices :D

Without exception. OWC does it and does it right. And they are near rabid about customer service.

I bought an Apple brand power supply for my 15" PB from them a while back, since mine died due to the well known strain relief problem. When I got it I realized it was NOS (new old stock) and had the original strain relief, which was even more prone to fail than the later versions. There was no deception or misrepresentation on their part - it was the Apple power supply as described, and it was new. It just never occurred to me that I might end up with an NOS version that would probably suffer the same fate as my original.

I e-mailed them immediately. Within a hour I had a reply, offering a RMA and refund, or an RMA and credit towards a Newer Technology (their in-house brand) power supply that they would ship to me that day.

I went with the Newer Technology power supply, which arrived two days later, and shipped the NOS Apple power supply back in the same box. Within five days I had my credit, with constant e-mail communication from them regarding the process.

Another really good vendor is Small Dog. They also have excellent customer service, too.

MD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.