Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 30, 2007, 12:02 AM   #1
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
PowerBook G4 (DVI) Stuck Screen Column

Today in the 40 minutes it took me to drive from work to my new apartment, my PBG4 developed a screen problem. There is now a one pixel wide column of blue, extending from the bottom of the menubar to the bottom of the screen. This line only appears when a color other than white is displayed in its area. Also, when I restart or attach another screen and the built-in display re-adjusts, there is no blue line in the area where the menu bar is.

Does anyone have any ideas as to a cause or possible solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TEG
Old Mar 30, 2007, 01:09 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Weird. Have you tried re-calibrating the screen? How about resetting the PMU?
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:25 AM   #3
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
I've Reset the PMU. As for calibration, do you mean like when creating a colorSync profile? How would that help. This is a single column of pixels, not a discoloration, but just a blue line.

TEG
Old Mar 30, 2007, 12:12 PM   #4
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
Today in the 40 minutes it took me to drive from work to my new apartment, my PBG4 developed a screen problem. There is now a one pixel wide column of blue, extending from the bottom of the menubar to the bottom of the screen. This line only appears when a color other than white is displayed in its area. Also, when I restart or attach another screen and the built-in display re-adjusts, there is no blue line in the area where the menu bar is.

Does anyone have any ideas as to a cause or possible solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TEG
I don't know much about how LCDs work, but I'd be willing to bet that the component controlling that particular row of blue pixels is stuck on. This would cause blue and white to display properly, but all other colors not to, as you've experienced. This is a hardware issue, and is going to require repair (or replacement) to fix.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 04:00 PM   #5
TEG
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
I don't know much about how LCDs work, but I'd be willing to bet that the component controlling that particular row of blue pixels is stuck on. This would cause blue and white to display properly, but all other colors not to, as you've experienced. This is a hardware issue, and is going to require repair (or replacement) to fix.
That's what I was thinking, except maybe blue is the only sub-pixel working, so it can turn on and off, but red and green cannot, but the 30 or so rows where the menu bar is are not effected.

I'm currently trying J Screen Fix and maybe other utilities to see if maybe that will help.

TEG
Old Mar 30, 2007, 04:03 PM   #6
dartzorichalcos
Banned

Could you take a picture of this problem? It would be helpful.
dartzorichalcos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 04:14 PM   #7
TEG
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartzorichalcos View Post
Could you take a picture of this problem? It would be helpful.

TEG
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:09 PM   #8
dartzorichalcos
Banned

If J Screen Fix doesn't fix it, call Apple Care if you still have warranty.
dartzorichalcos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 08:59 PM   #9
NuDarwin
macrumors member

The reason that this is occurring is that there is a fault in the TAB (Tape Automated Bonding) that connects the transparent electrode layer of the lcd to the video components of your powerbook.

Here are your options:

Replace the LCD module. Unfortunately, this is not a problem that resetting or calibration can fix. If you want to fix the problem, you will need a new lcd module.

Get an external monitor, and hook it up. Since the problem is in the lcd, not the video circuitry, an external monitor will not exhibit the fault. This might not work so well unless your laptop doesn't normally stay parked at your desk.
NuDarwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs