Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Top-Slacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Hi,

I'm going to buy a MacBook once Leopard is released, and will hook it up to my HDTV some of the time. What I'm wondering is what exactly I'll need to connect the two? The TV has VGA input, HTMI etc.

Also, I know Apple sell a Mini DVI --> VGA but this is tiny. Would I have to buy the connector, then buy a VGA --> VGA cable?
I would really appreciate if someone could link me to all the correct stuff I need, UK sites would be preferable.

Thank you. :apple:

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Yes Mini to VGA Plus VGA Cable Is All You Need

I'm going to buy a MacBook once Leopard is released, and will hook it up to my HDTV some of the time. What I'm wondering is what exactly I'll need to connect the two? The TV has VGA input, HTMI etc.

Also, I know Apple sell a Mini DVI --> VGA but this is tiny. Would I have to buy the connector, then buy a VGA --> VGA cable?
You answered it yourself. Buy the mini to VGA adapter and a VGA cable. What res is your HDTV? 1920x1080 or less? MacBook can drive 1920x1080.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Mini DVI - something and another cable is the only way you're going to manage it.

If your tv has composite you can get one of these, but you still need composite cables.
M9319_lm.jpg

If you have VGA, you can get one of these, but still need a VGA-VGA cable
M9320_lm.jpg

If you have HDMI, you can get one of these, and there is a DVI-HDMI cable out there somewhere
M9321_lm.jpg

HDMI is the most expensive, but will give you a better picture. I currently use the first option, and the picture is okay.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Ah, but won't the HDMI option cause overscan? He'll loose small but important parts of the edge of the picture, no? HDMI being designed for telly, and VGA for computer input....

In theory the HDMI should cause no more overscan than DVI or VGA. Either the TV supports 1:1 mapping over a digital connection like DVI and HDMI or he will get overscan.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
In theory the HDMI should cause no more overscan than DVI or VGA. Either the TV supports 1:1 mapping over a digital connection like DVI and HDMI or he will get overscan.

I don't know the tehnicalities of it, but the big ol' screen we have at work is fine on vga but overscans through dvi converted to hdmi.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Use VGA Not HDMI

Ah, but won't the HDMI option cause overscan? He'll loose small but important parts of the edge of the picture, no? HDMI being designed for telly, and VGA for computer input....
The VGA port is for the computer. You will gain no benefit from hooking to the HDMI input and waste a HDMI port. It will either look the same or worse on the HDMI hookup. But the VGA will not look worse than the HDMI even if the HDMI works ok.
Mini DVI - something and another cable is the only way you're going to manage it. If you have VGA, you can get one of these, but still need a VGA-VGA cable
M9320_lm.jpg
HDMI is the most expensive, but will give you a better picture.
No it won't. USE VGA.

Top-Slacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. I'll go with the VGA, as I'll be using the HDMI port for my PS3, when I get around to buying it :p.

Oooh, and the TV is 720p, but can go to 1080i I think.

surfstarchris

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
I'm sorry this question may seem stupid, and I really don't know all the acronyms for TV jargon, but:

I want to connect my MacBook to regular old TV with the red, yellow, and white things on the back.

Can anyone tell me in some sort of english what I'll need for that?

I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I'm sorry this question may seem stupid, and I really don't know all the acronyms for TV jargon, but:

I want to connect my MacBook to regular old TV with the red, yellow, and white things on the back.

Can anyone tell me in some sort of english what I'll need for that?

I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

The first one I listed above will do it - it's called the Apple mini-DVI to Video adaptor ($19) and then get a cable to connect the yellow on the screen to the input on the adaptor. You'll also need another adaptor to connect the red and white cables to your headphone jack on the macbook.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Many TV's will not allow full resolution input over the VGA input.

Even a 1080p set, most VGA inputs limit you to 1024x768. HDMI is the best choice for almost all home theater PC applications, which is what you are trying to do.

Also, be aware some TV's are very finicky, even over HDMI (which is identical to DVI from a video perspective) about displaying properly without overscan and with 1:1 pixel mapping.

It is harder than it should be.

Check out what your TV will and won't support over what inputs before you make a decision and buy something you can't use.

surfstarchris

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
The first one I listed above will do it - it's called the Apple mini-DVI to Video adaptor ($19) and then get a cable to connect the yellow on the screen to the input on the adaptor. You'll also need another adaptor to connect the red and white cables to your headphone jack on the macbook.

Dang, sounds like a lot of cables. :(

CGRA84

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
Does the miniDVi - DVi - HDMI run sound straight through from macbook to HDTV without any other cable connection to the TV?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Does the miniDVi - DVi - HDMI run sound straight through from macbook to HDTV without any other cable connection to the TV?

Computer outputs don't put audio through the HDMI, you'd need a seperate audio connection (likely the optical output through the 1/8" minijack ... buy that cable at monoprice too :)

rachie556

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
Hi everyone,
I want to connect my macbook to my tv. its a pretty old tv and not great in terms of different connections! its only got the 3 red, yellow and white holes at the front!
i have the mini dvi to video cable and a composite cable for audio. i cant figure out what cable i need for the picture! its has yellow on both ends i think....
help!

alloqba

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
Hi, has anyone tried connecting MacBook to TV this way?:

Mini-DVI to VGA ---> VGA to Composite (S-Video)? Like this:

M9320_screen.jpg
---->
Component_VGA_RCA.jpg

I want to have both - VGA for projectors at university and Composite for my old home TV. I dont want to buy Mini-DVI to VGA and Mini-DVI to Video, it is too expensive.

Anyone knows is it possible?

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Hi, has anyone tried connecting MacBook to TV this way?:

Mini-DVI to VGA ---> VGA to Composite (S-Video)? Like this:

M9320_screen.jpg
---->
Component_VGA_RCA.jpg

I want to have both - VGA for projectors at university and Composite for my old home TV. I dont want to buy Mini-DVI to VGA and Mini-DVI to Video, it is too expensive.

Anyone knows is it possible?

I would be surprised if it didn't work, but I'm not entirely sure your "old TV" has those inputs. Those are composite inputs, discreet channels for each color, typically found on HDTV sets. They look the same as component (RCA) connectors with the exception that composite has 3 connectors for video and 2 for audio (for 5 total), and component has 1 connector for video (usually yellow) and 2 for audio (red and white) for 3 total.

If your TV, which you said was old, only has 3 inputs, a yellow, red and white, this is not going to work for you.

As you can see in the photo above, it's 3 connectors for video only; with audio it would have been 5.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
I would be surprised if it didn't work, but I'm not entirely sure your "old TV" has those inputs. Those are composite inputs, discreet channels for each color, typically found on HDTV sets. They look the same as component (RCA) connectors with the exception that composite has 3 connectors for video and 2 for audio (for 5 total), and component has 1 connector for video (usually yellow) and 2 for audio (red and white) for 3 total.

If your TV, which you said was old, only has 3 inputs, a yellow, red and white, this is not going to work for you.

As you can see in the photo above, it's 3 connectors for video only; with audio it would have been 5.
You're right, but you got composite and component mixed up. Composite is the single, yellow RCA connector, while component consists of three discrete video RCA connectors (green, blue and red).

alloqba

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
Good pointout ab2650.

My TV has 3 inputs total, but only 1 (yellow) for vide.

Bengt77, you say that it is possible? Maybe using different cable like this for composite input:

70717.jpg

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
I'm not sure all this cable hopping is worth it. I know the adapters aren't free, but at $16 apiece, I'd rather get something I know will work well. The attached pic is from Futureshop in Canada. If you are in the US, I am sure you can find something similar for even cheaper.

Attachments

• miniDVI.png
    miniDVI.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 4,675

alias19

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
Odd problem. Could use your help

Hello,

So, I have followed the advice early in this discussion and bought A VGA mini-adaptor, and then VGA Cord for my 2006 Macbook. When I put it all together only my screensaver was appearing on the TV. I thought I might have a big problem. Then I accidentally discovered that if I move the internet window out of view to the right of my computer that it would then appear on my TV. So, in order to view things on my TV I have to move the window out of screen on my computer. Normally I would view this as a minor inconvenience but, if watching net flix or anything else, when I hit fullscreen it goes to fullscreen on my computer and cannot be moved. So, I guess my question would be is there a way to make my macbook center everything or to change the settings so the tv only picks up what's on my laptop. Thanks in advance for the help.

erin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.