Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven Jackson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Lincoln, U.K.
Hi,

I'm getting a bit frustrated trying to find info about what rip settings will work (and work well) with the Apple TV. I'd really appreciate anyone with an Apple TV (I haven't got mine yet) taking a few moments to see whether the settings below will play...

Original DVD is full-frame 4:3 (non-anamorphic) PAL TV show ("Yes, Minister", if you're interested). I am using MediaFork to rip.

Video:
File Format: AVC/H.264 Video/AAC Audio
Framerate: Same as source
Encoder: x264 (h.264 Main)
2-Pass encoding
Average bitrate: 1500 kbps
De-interlace: On
Source: 720 x 576
Output: 704 x 544 (this is the default size MediaFork produces for this particular DVD)

Audio:
Stereo
Sample rate: 44.1 Hz
Bitrate: 160 kbps

Will this work? Please tell me. Please. Please.

And will it look good? Should I have gone for a higher average bitrate?

Cheers,

Steve.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Hi,

I'm getting a bit frustrated trying to find info about what rip settings will work (and work well) with the Apple TV. I'd really appreciate anyone with an Apple TV (I haven't got mine yet) taking a few moments to see whether the settings below will play...

Original DVD is full-frame 4:3 (non-anamorphic) PAL TV show ("Yes, Minister", if you're interested). I am using MediaFork to rip.

Video:
File Format: AVC/H.264 Video/AAC Audio
Framerate: Same as source
Encoder: x264 (h.264 Main)
2-Pass encoding
Average bitrate: 1500 kbps
De-interlace: On
Source: 720 x 576
Output: 704 x 544 (this is the default size MediaFork produces for this particular DVD)

Audio:
Stereo
Sample rate: 44.1 Hz
Bitrate: 160 kbps

Will this work? Please tell me. Please. Please.

And will it look good? Should I have gone for a higher average bitrate?

Cheers,

Steve.

That'll look nice through the ATV. But I'm holding off ripping my DVD collection until 5.1, chapter indexing and subtitles are available for Handbreak/Mediafork.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
That'll look nice through the ATV. But I'm holding off ripping my DVD collection until 5.1, chapter indexing and subtitles are available for Handbreak/Mediafork.
Subtitles aren't supported by :apple:TV. How would you turn them on?

I do wish handbrake would support chapter indexes though...

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.