Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 1, 2007, 08:11 PM   #1
zap2
macrumors 604

Pick the order of media

If there a way to make change the order that the AppleTV puts media on its harddrive? My Movies and TV shows take of more then the harddrive of the AppleTV

I'd rather have all my TV shows, some of my Movies instead of all of my movie and some of my TV shows. (I can deal with only streaming audio, but TV show and movie take more time)
Old Apr 1, 2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Bressler
macrumors newbie

In iTunes, select the ATV device, then go through the tabs telling it what you want to have synced. Only that will go to the hard drive. You can get to everything by streaming, also.
Bressler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:20 PM   #3
zap2
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bressler View Post
In iTunes, select the ATV device, then go through the tabs telling it what you want to have synced. Only that will go to the hard drive. You can get to everything by streaming, also.
Yup...but my question was is there a way to tell it what to sync, and what to stream. If you don't tell it to sync, it won't stream either.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Bressler
macrumors newbie

In ATV look at the "Sources". The top one is ATV - i.e. what is on the hard disk that got there through sync. Next will be Macs/PCs that the ATV knows about (up to 5). If you select one of those, you will see everything that is in that computers iTunes. That will be streamed when you select it.
Bressler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 09:49 PM   #5
zap2
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bressler View Post
In ATV look at the "Sources". The top one is ATV - i.e. what is on the hard disk that got there through sync. Next will be Macs/PCs that the ATV knows about (up to 5). If you select one of those, you will see everything that is in that computers iTunes. That will be streamed when you select it.
Oh, but the ATV currently stream anything not on my Harddrive, if there a way to tell it what to download, and then what not to download(therefor forcing it to stream it)

I get what your saying (now), but I'd rather not have to switch my sources. Shouldn't there be a way from my Mac that tell it "Sync "x", only stream "y"
Currently it lets be get to everything on my main iTunes, but I have to stream stuff I'd rather not.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:58 PM   #6
Mr.A
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap2 View Post
I get what your saying (now), but I'd rather not have to switch my sources.
That's the only way.... synced content is on your TV drive, & you have to switch sources to access the streaming content.

That'd be one of my top feature-requests as well... ditch the need to switch sources. Display the entire library & play it from the TV's drive if it's been synced or stream it if it hasn't. Seems like a fairly simple thing to implement.
Mr.A is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 08:36 PM   #7
zap2
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.A View Post
That's the only way.... synced content is on your TV drive, & you have to switch sources to access the streaming content.

That'd be one of my top feature-requests as well... ditch the need to switch sources. Display the entire library & play it from the TV's drive if it's been synced or stream it if it hasn't. Seems like a fairly simple thing to implement.
Bummer..thanks for you help though! Mr. A and Bressler !

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater