Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djtet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2003
Charleston, SC
OK...so we don't know for sure if/when the 970's will be released, and if they are, we don't know what machines we will see them in. However, suppose that apple announces the 970's in the powermac during the summer. What then, will happen to the prices of the g4 powermacs? IF the 970's are supposed to be "ground breaking" and so much faster, etc, etc, than the current g4's than either apple will have to charge a crapload for a 970, or introduce the 970's at about the same as the current g4's prices. Then I would assume that the current g4's prices will fall. If the current g4's prices fall then will that affect the sales of the imacs or emacs, etc, etc...I guess we'll all have to wait and see how it all plays out!

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
what i fear is that apple will put the 970s in the top 2 powermacs, and leave the bottom one at a g4... this will give them more perceived reason to charge a decent amount more for the 970 machines...

i really do hope that they stay within 1-200 bucks of their current pricepoints though.. i have my doubts though.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
The G4 is an endangered processor. Apple won't leave any Powermacs running it. After that, it's a matter of months (six, at least) before the iMac goes 970, too (and honestly, who really cares about the eMac?).

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
I really, really hope Apple can manage to improve the value equation on their hardware. If need be, start selling some of the software that they're currently giving away (e.g., iLife).

I'm in the market for a laptop, and I've been finding that Centrino notebooks have come down enough in price to be competitive with iBooks, not to mention Powerbooks. Again, I'm not talking about mobile P4's or desktop P4's, I'm talking nice Centrino stuff.

I'm 80 percent sure I'll be adding to my family of Apple machines because I understand the Apple difference after years of using them. But it makes switching harder for other people when they can get a Dell 600m with a combo drive and free extra battery for about $1300.

djtet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2003
Charleston, SC
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
The G4 is an endangered processor. Apple won't leave any Powermacs running it. After that, it's a matter of months (six, at least) before the iMac goes 970, too (and honestly, who really cares about the eMac?).

If this is true, then what will happen to all of apples current system prices? Most of apples systems are arguably, currently kinda high in price (powermacs starting at $1499, imacs starting at $1299, etc.). Will these systems drop drastically? Say we see an entry level 970 powermac at $1499. What kind of price will the current entry level g4 be? If they only drop it to $1299, I think most people will spend a few extra bucks for the 970. Also if something like this happens, then I personally would rather buy an entry level powermac g4 @ $1299, rather than an entry level g4 imac for the same price...IMO, I feel that depending on what happens with the introduction of the 970, apple will need to think about restructuring prices on ALL of their systems, with the main purpose being competitive with current PC's...

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
I don't think Apple can afford to increase their prices. If anything, they need to decrease them and hope, with the power and name of IBM behind them, that they can gain marketshare. Their margins, as they stand now, are pretty high so they could do some cutting.

I'll be interested to see if they 12" and 15" PBs stay at the new, reduced pricepoint when a new chip is introduced. My feeling is that the $200 price cut is a sign of things to come. If Apple cut $200 of most their product line, then they'd be a lot closer to PC prices. I have several friends who would buy Apples at that point - but they just can't rationalize buying one now.

djtet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2003
Charleston, SC
If Apple cut $200 of most their product line, then they'd be a lot closer to PC prices. I have several friends who would buy Apples at that point - but they just can't rationalize buying one now.

That's exactly how I feel. I think that apple should cut the prices on all machines. High end machines should be cut by at least $200 with the lower end machines being cut by at least $100. Especially with the introduction of the 970 chip! I'm hoping that's what will happen, but honestly what are the chances. It really does seem logical, but I just don't know if apple will ever play that game!

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
It all depends on if Apple really wants to compete in the consumer/pro market or if they prefer to stay niche. If they decide to compete then they must lower prices while possibly allowing some controlled cloning. Problem there is that they have to really lower their prices to be sure the clones don't overrun them.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I thought one of the unintended benefits of the 970 was the fact that they are cheaper than G4's. I certainly don't think they can raise the prices of the new machines much above the current PowerMacs, and I would certainly like to see them fall a couple bills.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by Foxer
I thought one of the unintended benefits of the 970 was the fact that they are cheaper than G4's. I certainly don't think they can raise the prices of the new machines much above the current PowerMacs, and I would certainly like to see them fall a couple bills.
That was very much intended. Why else would Apple want to use a processor that is going to be used for something else (970 will be in Blade servers)? To increase consumption, and lower per unit costs.

PowerMacs could use a 15% cut, at least. Same for the PowerBooks. 5-10% for the iBook / iMac lines. eMac seems to be more or less ok.

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by yzedf
That was very much intended. Why else would Apple want to use a processor that is going to be used for something else (970 will be in Blade servers)? To increase consumption, and lower per unit costs.

PowerMacs could use a 15% cut, at least. Same for the PowerBooks. 5-10% for the iBook / iMac lines. eMac seems to be more or less ok.

I agree, although I think the eMac could use another $100 cut in price to make it really appealing.

I'd also love for Apple to introduce a consumer product that doesn't have the monitor built-in and doesn't have just the proprietary ADC connector. An iCube with a VGA and Digital out maybe? Maybe something bigger, like a mini-tower size. Apple really needs to allow some upgradeability for their machines beyong what Powerlogix and others offer. That, coupled with better prices, could increase the marketshare.

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
If Apple really wanted to come out with a bang on these new 970's they should drop the price on them like crazy to compete with dell. Such a powerful machine at such a low price would be sure to make lots of people switch over. Even if they did it as an intro price, like dell sometimes does.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
My Prediction...

I predict that when the new 970 PowerMacs come out, there will be no G4 Powermacs for sale. They will udgrade the iMacs emacs and eventua;y PowerBooks to the 970 when thier Product Cycle Update comes around. The iBooks will then be put up to G4 chips.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

I'd also love for Apple to introduce a consumer product that doesn't have the monitor built-in and doesn't have just the proprietary ADC connector. An iCube with a VGA and Digital out maybe? Maybe something bigger, like a mini-tower size. Apple really needs to allow some upgradeability for their machines beyong what Powerlogix and others offer. That, coupled with better prices, could increase the marketshare.

I agree with part of that. I think a lot of us would like to see a cheaper tower. But you do realize that all of Apple products now come with an adapter to connect to a VGA monitor, right?

Wouldn't it be cool if you could buy a cheap mini-tower, and upgrade everything later on. OS, RAM, HD, CD/DVD, vid card, AND CPU?

djtet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2003
Charleston, SC
Re: My Prediction...

I predict that when the new 970 PowerMacs come out, there will be no G4 Powermacs for sale. They will udgrade the iMacs emacs and eventua;y PowerBooks to the 970 when thier Product Cycle Update comes around. The iBooks will then be put up to G4 chips.

Apple very well might not sell g4 towers if/when the 970 comes out...however, you will still be able to find them such as ebay, these boards, certain resellers, etc. They won't just cease to exist. And if this is the case, then I don't expect people to sell off their old g4's at such high prices...i've seen plenty of places on ebay, these boards, apple resellers, that are selling old g4 400's and 533's for way too much. I mean for a couple hundred more I can buy a refurbished current entry level 1 ghzt g4 directly from apple!!!

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
of course the G4 won't go away, but still, it will technically be inferior to the 970.

That's why apple has to lower prices on all machines carrying the g4 and g3 processors. Who wants to pay the same amount for a machine that is even more inferior than before?

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by FriarTuck
I really, really hope Apple can manage to improve the value equation on their hardware. If need be, start selling some of the software that they're currently giving away (e.g., iLife).

I'm in the market for a laptop, and I've been finding that Centrino notebooks have come down enough in price to be competitive with iBooks, not to mention Powerbooks. Again, I'm not talking about mobile P4's or desktop P4's, I'm talking nice Centrino stuff.

I'm 80 percent sure I'll be adding to my family of Apple machines because I understand the Apple difference after years of using them. But it makes switching harder for other people when they can get a Dell 600m with a combo drive and free extra battery for about $1300.

Apple's hardware value is great. Just read http://www.macvspc.info/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.