Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
I put my MBP to sleep (with lid closed) and left for a few hours. When I came back, it was awake and the fan was spinning really loudly. The only way I could do anything was to hold the power button down and that restarted it. I have a bluetooth mouse connected, but it automatically shuts off if not used and it wasn't moved or anything. Are there any explanations for this behavior?

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
This happened to me also, except that it was asleep in it's case in my backpack! It was steaming. Holy crap. Freaked me out. It's only happened once though and if I'm transporting it I always shut it down now.

polyh3dron

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2007
This just started happening to my Core Duo 17 inch MBP. First the left side buzzed loudly, then the battery swelled up (replaced battery and got logic board replaced). The buzzing sound was still kind of there but I didn't want to deal with it, the Apple store is too loud for the "Geniuses" to hear it. After I got it back the screen started flickering, so I took it back in and after 2 weeks got it back from Apple saying they couldn't reproduce the problem so they didn't do squat.

Right there I showed the "Genius" the flickering issue and so they took it back YET AGAIN. I was pissed and told them I wanted a replacement because this was too much. I didn't get it but they did replace my display and made it a quick turnaround.

Right after I got it back the sleep issue started, like the latch mechanism was faulty or something, it would wake up without being opened and when I took it out of my bad the fan would be blaring and it would be hot as hell. I take it to the "Genius" Bar and the guy quickly takes the battery out and reinserts it and says I should be fine now, just try it. So I did and it seemed fine. I put it to sleep, it went in my bag and I drove home.

When I got home and pulled it out it was not asleep and very hot with the fan blaring YET AGAIN. I drive back and storm in there to demand a replacement, the guy knows my history and says he'll do what he can, believes I deserve it btu can't guarantee anything, the lead "Genius" needs to look at it tomorrow.

The "Genius" calls me and says my MBP does not warrant a replacement, but he can't reproduce my problem and needs time to do so. I curse him out until I get a manager on the phone who finally authorizes a replacement. I get a brand spankin new C2D 17" MBP tomorrow for my trouble.

All I have to say is that it's about time and I hope it doesn't have as many problems. All the PPC Macs I owned were VERY durable, my Power Mac G4 Quicksilver still runs to this day.

I was amazed by the low quality of service plus the low quality of this $2800 computer, and it appears that I am not alone. I only pray that this newer C2D model will not have any problems like that. I am starting to lose my confidence in Apple.

polyh3dron

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2007
So I got my 17" C2D MBP today and I must say, I'm impressed. It doesn't run HALF as hot as my CD MBP did, it doesn't make a buzzing noise like my old one did and it goes to sleep properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.