Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
My dad, who recently bought a Macbook, is planning on letting my mom have the Powerbook G4 that it is replacing. After talking with him a bit, I found that he is interested in trading the Powerbook for my iBook, as the increased portability, durability, and battery life would really suit her more. I am also interested, but I would like some input on the performance difference between the two machines.

My 12" iBook has a 1.33 GHz G4, 133 mHz system bus, 1.5 GB RAM, a 40 GB 4200 RPM drive, and a 32MB Radeon 9550.

The 15" Powerbook has a 1 GHz G4, 167 mHz bus, 1.25 GB RAM, an 80GB 7200 RPM drive, and a 64 MB Radeon 9600.

I use my laptop for a fair amount of gaming (Warcraft 3, Neverwinter Nights, World of Warcraft), and I'm just curious if the increased bus speed, doubled VRAM, and faster hard drive are enough to more than make up for the 33% slower processor hit (pretty significant when dealing with speeds that low), 256 MB less RAM, and slightly higher native resolutions I'd be dealing with. I love my little iBook, but I'm willing to trade if I can see a noticeable improvement in game performance.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I'm not a pro on this topic but i do belive that the powerbook would be faster. The faster HD, faster bus, and double the VRAM should, i belive, over compensate for slightly slower processor and less ram. Especially since games are more graphic card intensive than processor intensive. But again, the graphic card would have to power a 15" instead of a 12" screen but i still belive it would be beneficial overall.

My bet: Powerbook>iBook

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
But again, the graphic card would have to power a 15" instead of a 12" screen but i still belive it would be beneficial overall.

My bet: Powerbook>iBook

I don't think that screen size will be too much of an issue; the earlier 15" Powerbooks only had a 1280x854 native resolution, which isn't a whole lot higher than the iBook's 1024x768. I think the doubled VRAM and higher clock speeds of the Powerbook's Radeon 9600 (I'm too cautious to overclock my iBook GPU) should more than make up for the resolution difference, but I still want to be sure it is enough to compensate for the significant processor difference. I'm going to install World of Warcraft on the Powerbook and test it against the iBook tonight; I'll post them soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.