Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Apr 5, 2007, 03:27 AM   #1
technocoy
macrumors 6502a

Finally got all three next-gen systems...

So, When this all started I wanted a PS3, then a Wii and I swore I'd never buy an xBox 360.

Funny how it worked out.

I bought a 360 last summer/spring after realizing Sony was jerking people around and being sick of waiting. All of my friends were getting one and having fun playing multiplayer while I held out for my PS3.

I then bought a Wii on the day it was released here in the States. Nearly everyone I know was after one of those too.

I finally bought a PS3 this weekend.

I have one friend who waited all night to get his PS3. He plays resistance and all his old PS2 games on it. He finally convinced me since I had given my PS2 away months ago, and really wanted to play God of War II. Funny that the main reason I would finally buy a PS3 was for a PS2 game. HAHAHA.

So here are my opinions on each system so far:

360:

For a system I was so dead-set against. It is definitely my favorite at the moment. The Live system is pretty awesome and nearly flawless. I love the way you never leave the interface for anything xBox related. It all just works and seems very intuitive.

It definitely has the lead as far as games go. My main criticism is it needs for action/platformer/RPGs. I love my Rainbow Six, Gears of War, GRAW, COD, Prey, etc, but there is definitely more choice in that category than any other (as far as quality A-list games go).

The controller is awesome and I love how it fits in the hand. All the triggers feel robust and smooth and it has a good weight.

I also find it ironic that it can interface with the Mac better than any of the other systems at the moment. If Steve would just open up fairplay, I might actually use one of these as a media center. I'm not nuts about the size of the harddrive, and I'm miffed that it will cost me nearly 200.00 to get a bigger one (that's not THAT big either).

Love the wireless steering wheel from microsoft. The force feedback is superb, and the build quality might be some of the bet I've seen.

The wireless headset is nice as well. Fit's comfortably, and sounds great. easy to connect with few drops.

Has a good set of "gotta have em" games.

Wii:

I love my Wii. It's tons of fun. Especially with company over. The controls are awesome and the build quality is great. I love the virtual console and it makes for some great nostalgia.

The interface is very intuitive, and the navigation simple to learn and be comfortable with.

I love me some Zelda and I do think that Nintendo is suffering from a very slow start on the games front. I got Rayman, Super Monkey Ball, Wario, Zelda and WiiPlay. Aside from Zelda, the only ones I'm still playing are Wario and Wii Sports when friends or family are over. (though metal slug may change that)

I'm really bummed that there are no online games yet. I really like that online games have brought back that feeling from when I was a kid and had three friends on my street that would all get together for an all-nighter and play videogames till dawn. Online let's me do that again even though my friends live in other states or even other countries now. Nintendo needs to not take online play lightly. That and they need to ditch the 400 digit friend codes.

I know that once Paper Mario, Metroid, Super Smash Brothers, Mario, etc are out I'll be loving it, but again I'm worried that I'm not seeing THAT many third party games that I just can't wait for. There is the one online war/battlefield game (the name escapes me) that's supposed to be online and I'm really excited for that, but they haven't even mentioned a release date yet.

All that aside, the Wii is filling the nintendo need I always have and it does let me play my old gamecube games flawlessly. It's also a good "quick game" source of fun. I can just play a little here and there and it's all good.

PS3:

As I said, I finally broke down and bought this puppy when my pal got God of War and I no longer had my PS2. I also felt bad that my best friend had no friends to play resistance with online.

Sad thing is, once I started up resistance, It just seemed, well, meh. It's a good enough game and all, but I don't feel like I HAVE to play it. I mean. It's like COD2 or 3 with aliens, only not quite and fun online. And after Gear of War on the 360, it's hard to get all worked up about resistance. The framerate is amazing however.

Motorstorm is actually quite a bit more fun than I expected. The AI is a bit annoying and the catch-up drives me even more nuts than most other racing games, but the degree of freedom and the feel and control of the game is great. There is a real sense of chaos thanks to the physics.

There aren't enough tracks, and the game is a bit short. The online is fun though.

The HDMI run through DVI to my Dell 24" is fracking amazing looking however. Even better than the VGA from my xBox.

I have problems getting my PS2 Component cables to work though. for some reason I can't get a signal to display at all through component to the Dell.

I really do like the crossbar interface for the first few levels of navigation, but it feels like nothing is ever consistent after that.

The store sucks and feels like a weak web-site (which it is i think) where as the xBox live store feels so tight and keeps you within the 360 interface experience. Sony needs to work on this.

I really do love the main interface though.

Love the larger hardrive and that I can replace it easily. Actually ripped a few cd's already. Wish there was a way (as with the 360) to interface with my mac.

Love the bluetooth connectivity and the memory card slots that aren't restricted to MemoryStick only.

Runs MUCH quieter than my 360, as well as not having a giant brick attached to it via power cable. ha.

love the integration with my PSP as well... I want sony to do more with that for sure.

The controller is ok, but one thing I have realized is you shouldn't have a system without rumble anymore. At first I didn't think i was going to be an issue, but then I realized there were some subtle cues missing. For instance, when I'm being hit from the side in resistance and ten other things are going on, I'm not necessarily separating the red flashes from all the other chaos. The rumble feature normally clues you in in a situation like that.

I also think racing games are more immersive with it. I never thought of rumble as a must have until I went without it.

Overall:

I am definitely under-whelmed so far with games, I find it very easy to leave the PS3 to go play 360 or even Wii. And since it's the new and shiny gadget, that shouldn't be the case, especially after costing my ass 600.00 bucks pre-game.

I see the potential and I am very excited about future games, but feel that Sony should be watching Microsoft very closely as far as their online experience.

I do like the system, but after having the 360 and the Wii, don't find myself just foaming at the mouth for any of the current games. A system should have a least a couple amazing games within the first 6 friggin months.

Conclusion:

I count myself lucky to be able to own all three systems (as well as a DS lite and PSP) and really do look forward to playing games on all three, but I do see where the PS3 is stumbling a bit at the moment. Sony needs to kick it up a bit and give us a little more incentive. Nintendo needs to get us some more games as well, and simplify my friends system. Microsoft just needs to focus on a bit more variety in games types.

Hope these were helpful/informative to someone who may be looking to make a purchase.

Cheers,
Technocoy.
2.9 Quad FakePro, 2TB, 8Gigs, 2 9800s, BR/HD DVD

Last edited by technocoy; Apr 5, 2007 at 11:13 AM. Reason: additional review
technocoy is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Piarco
macrumors 68030

Nice read technocoy, thanks for the effort!

I've got the 360 and a Wii already, and the way the current generation has shaped up I can see me owning all three, for very different reasons. Like you I suspect the 360 will be my "go-to" console, the XBL community is so established, and a lot of my friends have 360s, so neither of the other consoles will replace the 360 in my eyes.
My Wii is purely used as a social console when I have friends around, and for that reason its staying. Tiger Woods '07 will probably be the first single game I'll get for it since getting Wii play with a Wiimote! I'm sure I'll be getting some of the "classic" based titles on release - Mario Kart/Galaxies will definitely be bought.
The PS3 again serves a different purpose. I'm sure I'll get a racing game (GT?) and Resistance looks worth a look, but the media capabilities (social web access/blu-ray player) that will get me buying the PS3. I will be waiting until I can get one for around 300 or less. That will mean ebay more than likely, but that's fine... I've got more than enough to get on with the Wii & 360, plus the waiting time means that 1080p HDTV's will be in greater supply and cheaper when the time comes..
Piarco is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 07:24 AM   #3
EM87
macrumors regular

Right now the PS3's only downfalls are games, well...lack of games (I'm playing FFXII for than I am my PS3 games), PS store is so slow and as you said, does not really fit in with the XMB and online needs some more work other than just adding HOME.

The console hardware is perfect IMO, feels sturdy, is quiet, so many built in features and is very reliable. Sony have done a great job there, they just need to get some AAA games out like Heavenly Sword and Lair ASAP. I still think that GoW2 should have been a PS3 game though, it could have been it's first system seller.
EM87 is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 09:31 AM   #4
zero2dash
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM87 View Post
I still think that GoW2 should have been a PS3 game though, it could have been it's first system seller.
They didn't want to create the game while learning how to develop on an unfamiliar platform; I don't blame them. They have plenty of time now to make GoW3 for Ps3 (which has been their plan all along) and figure out the ins and outs of the Ps3 architecture.
zero2dash is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 09:40 AM   #5
gkarris
macrumors 604

Finally, a great review of all 3 next-gen systems.

I agree with your post. I don't have a PS3 due to its cost. Most say that it is a great system, just a year too early, and Sony should've continued with the $499 unit to help it along right now. By this November/December, PS3 should have a really nice game assortment. If they bring back the $499 model, I'll get one...
Old Apr 5, 2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Haoshiro
macrumors 68000

Agreed, good reviews.

I've still yet to find a Wii available in my area...
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Sky Blue

Now you never have to leave your parents basement again!
Sky Blue is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:06 AM   #8
pcypert
macrumors 6502

Just a couple more posts and some moron will come in here and try and convince you either you don't really own all three or you are wrong in your opinions

Thanks for taking the time to write it out. Maybe we should just close the console war thread and just put this in it's place. That's about all anyone is really saying up there anyways.

Paul
pcypert is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:23 AM   #9
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020

congrats and welcome to the club

Great reviews too, I pretty much agree with whatcha said. Resistance does get better as you go on, but once it's over its kinda over.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:23 AM   #10
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
****** talking
What is up with you and making smart remarks at people....it doesn't make you cool fella so just ease up.

Tech...nice review man although I feel that R:FoM is great. I enjoy all of the consoles and when I get tired of one I always have the other to go to...it's beautiful

Keep playing and you know how to get my GT/PSN/Wii code.

Bless
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:55 AM   #11
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
very nice review....thanks

maybe one day i'll buy a PS3 and a Wii....but for now, i'll stick with my 360. my next purchase is a bigger monitor and iPhone
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:01 AM   #12
mattcube64
macrumors 65816

Already have you beat. No, but really, congrats on the purchases. I'm sure you'll enjoy going to the store and being able to buy any game you want. It's nice when you get to choose which multiplatform game to get, and news of exclusives doesn't interest you.

All purchased on day one.

Anyways, though... Owning all three is the only way to go. I don't buy into all the fanboyism s***. I want to play games, not defend a console. But overall, I'd agree with your mini reviews. Except I wanted the X360 more than any of them from the start. I absolutely loved having Live on the original, and on 360 it's only better. Also, the Wii is neat, but there are actually more games on PS3 I enjoy than on Wii. And what's funny, is I used to be a die-hard Nintendo fan. They've just kinda lost me over the years with their constant disappointment. Plus, I want *real* HD support nowadays. I have the component cables for 480p, but it just doesn't compare to Gears in 1080i or PS3 games in 1080p.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:09 AM   #13
technocoy
macrumors 6502a

^ nice layout, hehe. I'm still hiding my PS3 from my wife. HAHAHA.

I'll add one more important thing about the PS3 that I forgot (edited original post.)
technocoy is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:15 AM   #14
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

It'll be a long while till I get a PS3, it's just too much and lacks games. I'm sure in a couple years it will be of high interest to me. I just don't see the point of owning one now.
SamIchi is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:17 AM   #15
technocoy
macrumors 6502a

Anybody have their PS3 running at 1080 through component on a Dell 24"?

I'd like to have my 360 and my macpro all running at the same time with it, but the 360 looks horrible through the component on the Dell.

I don't want to have to pay friggin 150+ for a KVM for the dvi slot, and right now I'm swapping back and forth between the PS3 and the MacPro.
technocoy is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:18 AM   #16
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020

^^^ Hey Mattcube, just out of curiousity, what tv do ya have all them systems hooked up to?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:20 AM   #17
FleurDuMal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by technocoy View Post
^ nice layout, hehe. I'm still hiding my PS3 from my wife. HAHAHA.

I'll add one more important thing about the PS3 that I forgot (edited original post.)
Jeepers! A Mac Pro with a 30" monitor and all three consoles. You must be loaded! Where on earth do you find the time to use all this stuff?! My solitary DS Lite sees too little attention as it is. Though I will buy a 360. I simply must.
Fujifilm F31fd (it's love)
My flickr
FleurDuMal is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:20 AM   #18
technocoy
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, unless you just have the disease like myself, and can come up with the money, I'd wait myself.

The 360 just has a great library already there to jump into.

The Wii is great, but to be sure, I might actually wait a LITTLE bit longer if I knew what I know now.

Unless you REALLY love the virtual console, which is easy to do. Ha.
technocoy is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:26 AM   #19
technocoy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDuMal View Post
Jeepers! A Mac Pro with a 30" monitor and all three consoles. You must be loaded! Where on earth do you find the time to use all this stuff?! My solitary DS Lite sees too little attention as it is. Though I will buy a 360. I simply must.
Ha Ha Ha, I wish. Just an ok career so far. I'm a designer, and my wife is an architect. We're no where near wealthy yet, and there are alot of things that go un-bought because of my tech addiction. HAHAHA.

But the MacPro is necessary for my job.

I don't have enough time and thats a problem. I wish there were more hours in the day. I think I usually get about 2 hours of sleep between work, spending time with the wifey and then working some more and then playing games at night.

sometimes I sneak a house project or two in there.

Well, glad you all enjoyed the review. I may try and update it as I have more experience with the PS3.
technocoy is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 03:44 PM   #20
mattcube64
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkinixx View Post
^^^ Hey Mattcube, just out of curiousity, what tv do ya have all them systems hooked up to?
Nothing super fancy, but HD nonetheless. A 46" Toshiba HD RPCRT Widescreen (46H84):

I bought it a few years ago for my bedroom, back when DLP was still costing quite the pretty penny (About $2000 for a 46" set, compared to about $1400 now, or the $1200 I spent on this Toshiba). Since I'm heading off to college this fall, I'll have to leave the TV at my house, as it obviously won't fit in my dorm. Sometime in the next year or so, I'd like to get a 32" or so 1080p LCD...
Old Apr 5, 2007, 04:06 PM   #21
sikkinixx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcube64 View Post
Nothing super fancy, but HD nonetheless. A 46" Toshiba HD RPCRT Widescreen (46H84):

I bought it a few years ago for my bedroom, back when DLP was still costing quite the pretty penny (About $2000 for a 46" set, compared to about $1400 now, or the $1200 I spent on this Toshiba). Since I'm heading off to college this fall, I'll have to leave the TV at my house, as it obviously won't fit in my dorm. Sometime in the next year or so, I'd like to get a 32" or so 1080p LCD...
Ya gotta love those CRT beasts eh? My buddy has a 50" one and it dwarfs my 50" Toshiba DLP Whatever works is all that counts
Old Apr 5, 2007, 04:36 PM   #22
zap2
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkinixx View Post
have you visted in the picture forum? Basicly, pic any thread in there are you'll find it

Just playin' with you mattcube64..if you own them, there's no reason not to post 'em up.

To technocoy...congrats on the all systems..hopefully I'll pick one more up soon, but that iPhone leaves a cloud on my head, which I can't seem to forget about!
Old Apr 5, 2007, 04:42 PM   #23
technocoy
macrumors 6502a

HAHAHA, Zap! I hear ya on the iPhone. I don't know how I'm gonna pull that one off. Got 2 and a half months to figure it out i guess ;-).

I've already postponed my apple TV purchase indefinitely I have to take SOME measures to curb the addiction. But there is no postponing the iPhone, HEHEHE.
technocoy is offline   0
Old Apr 5, 2007, 08:35 PM   #24
EM87
macrumors regular

Nice set up mattcube64, yours is so neat and tidy compared to my jungle of wires. Do you play your Dreamcast much anymore?
EM87 is offline   0
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:11 AM   #25
sam10685
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by technocoy View Post
So, When this all started I wanted a PS3, then a Wii and I swore I'd never buy an xBox 360.

Funny how it worked out.

I bought a 360 last summer/spring after realizing Sony was jerking people around and being sick of waiting. All of my friends were getting one and having fun playing multiplayer while I held out for my PS3.

I then bought a Wii on the day it was released here in the States. Nearly everyone I know was after one of those too.

I finally bought a PS3 this weekend.

I have one friend who waited all night to get his PS3. He plays resistance and all his old PS2 games on it. He finally convinced me since I had given my PS2 away months ago, and really wanted to play God of War II. Funny that the main reason I would finally buy a PS3 was for a PS2 game. HAHAHA.

So here are my opinions on each system so far:

360:

For a system I was so dead-set against. It is definitely my favorite at the moment. The Live system is pretty awesome and nearly flawless. I love the way you never leave the interface for anything xBox related. It all just works and seems very intuitive.

It definitely has the lead as far as games go. My main criticism is it needs for action/platformer/RPGs. I love my Rainbow Six, Gears of War, GRAW, COD, Prey, etc, but there is definitely more choice in that category than any other (as far as quality A-list games go).

The controller is awesome and I love how it fits in the hand. All the triggers feel robust and smooth and it has a good weight.

I also find it ironic that it can interface with the Mac better than any of the other systems at the moment. If Steve would just open up fairplay, I might actually use one of these as a media center. I'm not nuts about the size of the harddrive, and I'm miffed that it will cost me nearly 200.00 to get a bigger one (that's not THAT big either).

Love the wireless steering wheel from microsoft. The force feedback is superb, and the build quality might be some of the bet I've seen.

The wireless headset is nice as well. Fit's comfortably, and sounds great. easy to connect with few drops.

Has a good set of "gotta have em" games.

Wii:

I love my Wii. It's tons of fun. Especially with company over. The controls are awesome and the build quality is great. I love the virtual console and it makes for some great nostalgia.

The interface is very intuitive, and the navigation simple to learn and be comfortable with.

I love me some Zelda and I do think that Nintendo is suffering from a very slow start on the games front. I got Rayman, Super Monkey Ball, Wario, Zelda and WiiPlay. Aside from Zelda, the only ones I'm still playing are Wario and Wii Sports when friends or family are over. (though metal slug may change that)

I'm really bummed that there are no online games yet. I really like that online games have brought back that feeling from when I was a kid and had three friends on my street that would all get together for an all-nighter and play videogames till dawn. Online let's me do that again even though my friends live in other states or even other countries now. Nintendo needs to not take online play lightly. That and they need to ditch the 400 digit friend codes.

I know that once Paper Mario, Metroid, Super Smash Brothers, Mario, etc are out I'll be loving it, but again I'm worried that I'm not seeing THAT many third party games that I just can't wait for. There is the one online war/battlefield game (the name escapes me) that's supposed to be online and I'm really excited for that, but they haven't even mentioned a release date yet.

All that aside, the Wii is filling the nintendo need I always have and it does let me play my old gamecube games flawlessly. It's also a good "quick game" source of fun. I can just play a little here and there and it's all good.

PS3:

As I said, I finally broke down and bought this puppy when my pal got God of War and I no longer had my PS2. I also felt bad that my best friend had no friends to play resistance with online.

Sad thing is, once I started up resistance, It just seemed, well, meh. It's a good enough game and all, but I don't feel like I HAVE to play it. I mean. It's like COD2 or 3 with aliens, only not quite and fun online. And after Gear of War on the 360, it's hard to get all worked up about resistance. The framerate is amazing however.

Motorstorm is actually quite a bit more fun than I expected. The AI is a bit annoying and the catch-up drives me even more nuts than most other racing games, but the degree of freedom and the feel and control of the game is great. There is a real sense of chaos thanks to the physics.

There aren't enough tracks, and the game is a bit short. The online is fun though.

The HDMI run through DVI to my Dell 24" is fracking amazing looking however. Even better than the VGA from my xBox.

I have problems getting my PS2 Component cables to work though. for some reason I can't get a signal to display at all through component to the Dell.

I really do like the crossbar interface for the first few levels of navigation, but it feels like nothing is ever consistent after that.

The store sucks and feels like a weak web-site (which it is i think) where as the xBox live store feels so tight and keeps you within the 360 interface experience. Sony needs to work on this.

I really do love the main interface though.

Love the larger hardrive and that I can replace it easily. Actually ripped a few cd's already. Wish there was a way (as with the 360) to interface with my mac.

Love the bluetooth connectivity and the memory card slots that aren't restricted to MemoryStick only.

Runs MUCH quieter than my 360, as well as not having a giant brick attached to it via power cable. ha.

love the integration with my PSP as well... I want sony to do more with that for sure.

The controller is ok, but one thing I have realized is you shouldn't have a system without rumble anymore. At first I didn't think i was going to be an issue, but then I realized there were some subtle cues missing. For instance, when I'm being hit from the side in resistance and ten other things are going on, I'm not necessarily separating the red flashes from all the other chaos. The rumble feature normally clues you in in a situation like that.

I also think racing games are more immersive with it. I never thought of rumble as a must have until I went without it.

Overall:

I am definitely under-whelmed so far with games, I find it very easy to leave the PS3 to go play 360 or even Wii. And since it's the new and shiny gadget, that shouldn't be the case, especially after costing my ass 600.00 bucks pre-game.

I see the potential and I am very excited about future games, but feel that Sony should be watching Microsoft very closely as far as their online experience.

I do like the system, but after having the 360 and the Wii, don't find myself just foaming at the mouth for any of the current games. A system should have a least a couple amazing games within the first 6 friggin months.

Conclusion:

I count myself lucky to be able to own all three systems (as well as a DS lite and PSP) and really do look forward to playing games on all three, but I do see where the PS3 is stumbling a bit at the moment. Sony needs to kick it up a bit and give us a little more incentive. Nintendo needs to get us some more games as well, and simplify my friends system. Microsoft just needs to focus on a bit more variety in games types.

Hope these were helpful/informative to someone who may be looking to make a purchase.

Cheers,
Technocoy.
thank you for the good review but i think you have a smidge bit too much time on your hands.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games