Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Dave00
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Hands-on with the :apple: TV

Haven't convinced myself to buy one just yet, but did spend a good amount of time with one in one of my local Apple Stores. My observations:

(1) Heat. The models in the store were hot enough that I'd have serious issues plopping one on top of my other boxes (cable, surround, etc.) This may have been due to the close proximity to some bright lights, but given past issues with heat, it gives you pause.

(2) Transitions/interface. As far as eye-candy/impress-your-friends value, it's pretty sweet and very smooth. No jumping/staggering. While visually very appealing, it's completely lacking in options. (See below.)

(3) Photos. You can't show photos individually, only in a group as setup in iPhoto. The one thing I'd really like to do with the box is have it be a photo organizer. It'd be nice to be able to pull up thumbnails and also zoom in/out on individual photos. The only options are the transitions and timing. Also, it takes awhile to go backwards, and each step back goes through a transition.

(4)Movies. For the movies that were preloaded, it looks awesome. If only the movies were cheaper, this would be a nice alternative to buying dvd's. Load up your movies on a 500GB hard drive, then stream to the TV. Now, will it let you play iMovies? It doesn't appear to, and that'd be a real shame.

Dave
Dave00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Passante
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: on the sofa
Heat has not been an issue with my unit. Its been on since I got it in Late march.

Your right about no zooming on photos.

Still I look at more of my photos now than I ever did before.
__________________
Never switched
Passante is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:53 PM   #3
The General
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Yeah, my TV has been on for a week or so. I ... obtained some 720P Battlestar Galactica episodes and have been watching them on my TV and have never experienced a heat issue. I mean, it gets warm, but nothing to get worried about. I have it on top of my Onkyo 7.1 HDMI switching receiver, and even with the heat from my receiver it has never gotten too hot.
The General is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Danksi
macrumors 68000
 
Danksi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nelson, BC. Canada
Streaming Pictures & Wake On Lan?

Can you stream Photo's or do they need to be sync'd? Or is it just photo slideshows + music that need sync'ing?

Also does TV support 'wake-on-lan'?

E.g. can it wake our main media machine, if it's asleep. Or would we need to go wake it, before being able to browse and then stream content? (if it makes a difference - it would be the 'main' machine used to sync to TV)
__________________
Kootenay Mountain Biking
Danksi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 01:34 PM   #5
sandman42
macrumors 6502a
 
sandman42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danksi View Post
Can you stream Photo's or do they need to be sync'd? Or is it just photo slideshows + music that need sync'ing?

Also does TV support 'wake-on-lan'?

E.g. can it wake our main media machine, if it's asleep. Or would we need to go wake it, before being able to browse and then stream content? (if it makes a difference - it would be the 'main' machine used to sync to TV)
You cannot stream photos -- they have to by sync-ed. You can sync from iPhoto or any other folder you specify.

Don't know about it waking your computer, but I don't think so. I sync with my Mini which is always on anyway, but I stream from my MacBook. When the MacBook's asleep and I try to access it with the TV, the MacBook, as a 'source' on my TV, is greyed out. I don't see a way to 'wake it up' from the TV.
__________________
Race fast, safe car.
sandman42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Danksi
macrumors 68000
 
Danksi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nelson, BC. Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman42 View Post
You cannot stream photos -- they have to by sync-ed. You can sync from iPhoto or any other folder you specify.

Don't know about it waking your computer, but I don't think so. I sync with my Mini which is always on anyway, but I stream from my MacBook. When the MacBook's asleep and I try to access it with the TV, the MacBook, as a 'source' on my TV, is greyed out. I don't see a way to 'wake it up' from the TV.
Thanks for the feedback. I've just read the Macworld review after asking here, I see they mentioned the iPhoto sync as the only way of viewing photo's - shame.

Do you have your MacBook set to accept Wake-On-Lan packets?
__________________
Kootenay Mountain Biking
Danksi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 04:50 PM   #7
sandman42
macrumors 6502a
 
sandman42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danksi View Post
Do you have your MacBook set to accept Wake-On-Lan packets?
No, or at least I don't think so. Haven't played with that to be honest. I imagine that's in the System Preferences, no? Truth is, when my MacBook's sleeping it's typically closed, so although it may wake up, it shouldn't stay awake. If I think of it I'll try it.
__________________
Race fast, safe car.
sandman42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 05:03 PM   #8
Danksi
macrumors 68000
 
Danksi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nelson, BC. Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman42 View Post
No, or at least I don't think so. Haven't played with that to be honest. I imagine that's in the System Preferences, no? Truth is, when my MacBook's sleeping it's typically closed, so although it may wake up, it shouldn't stay awake. If I think of it I'll try it.
Check the "wake for administrator access" in the energy pref pane of your MacBook.

Just remembered though, that the MacBook would have to be wired to the network anyway, for the wake-on-lan packet to work.
__________________
Kootenay Mountain Biking
Danksi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Harmony One works with the Apple TV 2 just fine HT Guy Apple TV and Home Theater 12 Feb 4, 2012 01:13 AM
After a hands-on with the new MacBooks... SirJ Buying Tips and Advice 0 Nov 9, 2008 05:49 PM
What firmware ships with the Apple TV 40GB? thenetstud Apple TV and Home Theater 8 Nov 30, 2007 10:03 PM
Hands-on with the Altec Lansing iMV712 mini-theater for vide... MacBytes MacBytes.com News Discussion 0 May 3, 2007 12:35 AM
Apple Beat Windows Media Center by 10 Years with the Mac TV MacBytes MacBytes.com News Discussion 12 Jan 10, 2005 03:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC