Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Apr 5, 2007, 06:03 PM   #1
papadopolis1024
macrumors 6502

gimp going aqua?

i heard about this after my MUGs meeting eating with the president and vice president and the vice president said that gimp was going fully aqua dose anyone know when this will be here (thank god no more x11)
papadopolis1024 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
The last update that I read about GIMP going Aqua is about two years old now. I haven't heard any updates since.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 07:32 PM   #3
aspro
macrumors 6502

I have a seemingly stripped down version of Gimp called Seashore which is aquafied. It does everything I've ever done in Gimp no worries (which is only basic image editing) so you might want to have a look at that?

13" Macbook
[2.16Ghz/2GB/120GB/Mac OSX 10.5.1/iPod classic 80GB]
aspro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Cult Follower
macrumors 6502a

I just downloaded it, it looks nice.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 08:18 PM   #5
psychofreak
Retired

Openoffice.org is going aqua (sans NeoOffice)...hopefully we'll get rid of X11 for good...
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:50 PM   #6
maxrobertson
macrumors 6502a

I hate X11 apps, but it is really nice to give developers that option to see if it's worth developing for the Mac platform.
maxrobertson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 01:49 AM   #7
TheBobcat
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TheBobcat
I'm sorry, but I can't use GIMP because of Pulp Fiction. I...I just can't do it. Every time it opens I feel like shouting "bring out the gimp!"
Old Apr 6, 2007, 04:05 AM   #8
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobcat View Post
I'm sorry, but I can't use GIMP because of Pulp Fiction. I...I just can't do it. Every time it opens I feel like shouting "bring out the gimp!"
You can just rename the app by editing a few plist values.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 01:40 PM   #9
Cult Follower
macrumors 6502a

I wish they would just do this, I don't like nonaqua apps.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Thomas Harte
macrumors 6502

See this site for a circa 2003 screenshot of Aqua-native Gimp (check out the OS X v10.1 look) and some 2004 source code downloads. I'm not sure what's happened since then.

Seashore is okay, but it has some major usability issues. The crop tool in particular is very painful to use — for example, changing the selected area without just reselecting from scratch seems to be impossible. And for the record, I dislike X11 so much that I prefer to use Parallels for software like this...

EDIT:
Looks like there has been at least one subsequent and separate attempt to port GTK+ to OS X which includes another Aqua Gimp screenshot. If only someone would finish one of these ports!
Thomas Harte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 06:05 PM   #11
localoid
macrumors 68020

Gimpshop does require X11, but with its renamed and reorganized GIMP’s tools, options, windows, and menus, it more closely follows Adobe Photoshop’s menu structure and naming conventions than (just plain) Gimp does...
localoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 06:23 PM   #12
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadopolis1024 View Post
i heard about this after my MUGs meeting eating with the president and vice president and the vice president said that gimp was going fully aqua dose anyone know when this will be here (thank god no more x11)
Gtk+ for Mac OS X -- This is the project site for the effort to port Gtk+ 2 to Mac OS X natively (so that you can run Gtk+ applications without X11 on Mac OS X). However, according to the developer: "The port is not yet finished or usable for mainstream use."

But on his blog, you'll find a screenshot of Gimp under OS X (without X11, using Gtk+ for Mac OS X)
localoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:51 PM   #13
Oats
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
... the effort to port Gtk+ 2 to Mac OS X natively (so that you can run Gtk+ applications without X11 on Mac OS X)...
I was doing some reading on this GTK+ for OS X, and was initially excited about it - though as I looked more into it, it seems like it will do nothing more than X11 already does. The only difference is that GTK+ libraries will be built into each application (bloating the app significantly). X11 is probably a better option, supported directly by Apple - why re-invent the wheel?

I think seashore has the right idea, using the GIMP core, but re-implementing the UI. Hopefully seashore becomes more fully-featured over time.
Oats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:37 PM   #14
Teh Don Ditty
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobcat View Post
But the gimp is asleep.... well you better go wake him up then!!!

Great movie.

Anyways, I would love to see Gimp aquafied. It's a cool program (and free). It's no Photoshop, but it gets the job done.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:34 PM   #15
Royale w/cheese
macrumors 6502a

They need to do this. I have Photoshop up to CS3 (mac) and alot of times, I still find myself going over to gimp. I learned gimp when I was on my linux phase and fell absolutely in love with it. When I went Mac, it was quite a disappointing experience. I find myself breaking out a Linux or win box for alot of my graphics just because I feel I work faster in gimp versus PS for some reason.
Royale w/cheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:25 AM   #16
marnen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oats View Post
X11 is probably a better option, supported directly by Apple - why re-invent the wheel?
Sorry to reply to an old thread...but for me at least, the big reason is native Mac font support. X11 doesn't support Mac fonts without conversion, and doesn't support their advanced typographic features at all -- and that's not acceptable in a professional-level graphics program.
marnen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming