Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
London
Kevin Garrad (3rd Infantry Division) was on a street patrol in Iraq (Tikrit I believe) and as he rounded the corner of a building an armed (AK-47) insurgent came from the other side.

The two of them were within just a few feet of each other when they opened fire. The insurgent was killed and Kevin was hit in the left chest where his iPod was in his jacket pocket. It slowed the bullet down enough that it did not completely penetrate his body armor. Fortunately, Kevin suffered no wound.

Amazing! :eek: Lucky he wasn't using a shuffle or nano. :p

445618364_92afb0adeb.jpg

More pictures here.

Apparently, some Apple engineers heard about it and are making sure he gets a new iPod for free.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Good thing it didn't hit the battery, or else it might of blown up on him.

Actually, a guy from my college was saved under similar circumstances in Iraq when the bullet hit a spare AA battery for his MP3 player (obviously not an iPod).

rs_battery.jpg

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Maybe we can send them our used iPods to make up for the fact that they don't have armor. :(

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Lucky fellow. :)

It takes very little to deflect a bullet at times. Projectile and explosive ballistics are very a complicated and interesting study.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
Does this mean my iPod is bullet proof? *constructs iPod suit*

They should stop making iPods thinner unless the material is stronger and more bullet proof.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
Maybe we can send them our used iPods to make up for the fact that they don't have armor. :(

They do have armor, it is just crappy, which is completely unacceptable. Aside from significant problem I have with the message the lack of sufficient equipment sends to our soldiers fighting in Iraq, it is unbelievable to me that a military which has for so long been focused on traditional warfare, would not be equipped with the tools which would go along with traditional warfare, i.e., basic body armor, appropriate levels of armor for their vehicles, etc.

p.s. just to be clear, I am not saying this is traditional warfare in Iraq. I am saying that the supplies which go along with traditional warfare, which are in such demand right now, are missing, and that is a sorry state of affairs.

apple1984

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
usa
Does this mean I can begin amassing my army? muhahahahahaha
*gathers a legion of teenagers with iPods*
Hmm. . . if only Zunes exploded on impact.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Great story, but wtf is a soldier in a combat zone doing with an iPod while on patrol?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Great story, but wtf is a soldier in a combat zone doing with an iPod while on patrol?

Most of what they do there is of the hurry up and wait variety. Gotta do something to pass the time. My Buddy brought his CD player. Couldn't afford an iPod on his salary with a wife and newborn at home. :rolleyes:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Any mp3 player could have saved his life. It's just that the iPod is so popular, there's probably around a 75% chance of an iPod being the type of player to do it.

So generally speaking, maybe mp3 players save lives.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
The consensus among iPod fans seems to be that Zune is the size of a brick and weights like one, too. So obviously Zune would be better at deflecting bullets than an iPod, right?

So if you are planning on going to a war any time soon, you might be better of choosing a Zune than an iPod. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.