Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Personally, I think some of the IKEA furniture goes great together with Apple Hardware. For all their faults (*cough*plywood*cough*), they do have style - mostly. Combine that with the price and Bam - you got yourself a target group. That's right, broke college students with sense for nice-looking furniture.
Enough with the surreptitious advertisement, let's see those IKEA desks, chairs, lamps, whatever!

v-ault

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
Ikea is one of the most uncivilized stores I've been to. I went to it once, and I tried to buy some low quality table. I told the employee I wanted it, and I was expecting them to ship it to my house. That wasn't the case; I had to go find the different parts to the furniture myself in the storage room, take it to the cashier, pay for it and put it together at home. It took me awhile to find the storage room and the parts, and when I went in line, I decided against buying it and left everything for the employees to put back. All of their furniture have really bad quality and is overpriced. They have crappy service, and the employees are not very friendly. I'd suggest going to real furniture store.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Their customer service is nothing amazing, but the staff were at least a little helpful when I went. I got a JONAS desk:

dsc0104jpgaw9.jpg

It's actually really well put together (by meeee), and pretty sturdy. Looks the bees knees tho imo...

Danger! Will

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I like my IKEA desk...The process is quite simple...write the necessary item numbers down...get the necessary parts...and checkout...then assemble it yourself. I don't see that mucn different than a Home Depot or a Lowes'. I'd take a picture of my desk but it's a mess...Here's a pic..excuse the mess

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 570

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
I can't believe you guys support a store like Ikea.

as a student always going through transitory phases, IKEA is the next best thing to slice toast. where else can u buy everything you need in a house, from a california king size bed to swedish meat balls. and not to mention it's dirt cheap.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
No Ikea around here yet... but they're supposed to open one late this year. My wife and I are looking forward to it. :)

I seriously need a desk or computer armoire of some sort, and a chair, and some shelves, and...

What do people have against Ikea, besides the fact that it's such a huge chain of stores now?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I can't believe you guys support a store like Ikea.

I've always had good experiences with IKEA, the customer service people are always friendly and helpful. It helps to know what what to expect from the experience when you get there. If you go in expecting some upper-class boutique where you lounge on a chaise, order stuff from a fancily-dressed bachelor and have the proletariat deliver it fully assembled to your maison while you sip a dry martini on the lanai....you are just asking for disappointment.

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
Their customer service is nothing amazing, but the staff were at least a little helpful when I went. I got a JONAS desk:

dsc0104jpgaw9.jpg

It's actually really well put together (by meeee), and pretty sturdy. Looks the bees knees tho imo...

wow what is the little draws thing with wheels next to it called and how much i'm looking for one of them for my printer. Looks really nice.

My IKEA desk, bed, bookcase, wardrobe, and drawing cabinet are cheap from there but give the minimalistic look i want!

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
wow what is the little draws thing with wheels next to it called and how much i'm looking for one of them for my printer. Looks really nice.

Looks like the Jonas drawer unit on casters $79.99 US. I'd provide a direct link, but there's a problem with the product link to that item. Here's the link that that section of the US IKEA store.

BTW...the most impressive part of that setup (for me) is the exercise ball as desk chair...I totally need to go that route.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Alright, way to start up a topic.

As for the service, it's okay around here, but I don't need much service. It's pretty much a hit and run job to buy furniture and stuff from there, so the service part wouldn't be an issue. But yes, they are dirt cheap.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
If anyone has a setup using the Galant series desks, please post your pics!!!

I'm using an older Ikea desk no longer in production. It's a corner unit with a hutch, but I have outgrown it.

I like the Galant series because of the many different configurations, but I don't see anything on the site I could use for shelving or a hutch-like setup.

letswastetime

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
nice pictures everyone! i love ikea but the one closest to me is at least an hour away....

ikea really needs to put more stuff up on their website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.