Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fortis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
San Diego and Lafayette, CA
Ok, well here's my situation. I wanted a Mac Pro since January and I feel stupid for waiting up until now, because the "upgrade" we all just witnessed merely introduced 2x quad core processors, which personally isn't important to me.

My dilemma is that the Windows desktop I built will make up a large part of the money going towards a Mac Pro (I don't have a job right now; full time student). The more I wait, the less my desktop is worth, so the sooner I sell the more I will get for it and the more I can buy for my Mac Pro.

With WWDC coming up, I would go out of my mind if I bought now and we ended up seeing huge updates in a couple months. I don't NEED a Mac Pro right now, but as I said, the longer I wait, the less my current PC is worth. I doubt we'll be seeing any major revisions to the Mac Pro at NAB now.

The main things of importance to me on the Mac Pro are the prices of the more standard configuration components and the video cards offered. I know that I can upgrade these things on my own, but it would stink if say an 8800GTX was the gaming card offered after WWDC, or if the 3.0 GHz Xeons became the price of the current 2.66 GHz Xeons. Sourcing my own parts and installing them myself isn't an issue, as I have built Windows desktops (including my own), and I dissected my sister's eMac to add a bigger, faster HD and a Super Drive (using a high voltage probe for the CRT, of course).

I'm fine with the dual-dual core Xeons and would have this be a dual boot machine with OSX and either Windows XP or Vista (for gaming). I know there is the imminent release of the SS chipset and memory controller, but given Apple's track record, it might be a while before it's introduced into the Mac Pros and when it is, would it even benefit systems that aren't octo-core? The only benefit I can see from SS are the enhanced memory controller and the smarter snoop filter (which only benefits quad core chips anyway), as the FSB and RAM speeds supported will be unchanged. Yes, the PCIe lanes will be upgraded as well, but I don't plan on running SLi or Crossfire anytime soon. It might be August before Apple decides to do a major revision to the Mac Pro.

Given my situation, should I buy now, or hold out until the next revision of the Mac Pro is released? It's a hard decision because I don't feel like my money is being well-spent on an Apple product that has basically remained unchanged (in both price and configuration) since last August. I'm tearing my hair out over this decision, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Next possible revision to the quad (not 8 core) Mac Pros might be at either NAB or WWDC. It's up to you if you want to wait. If you wait, you are going to get Leopard pre-installed and Santa Rosa platform. You just have to ask yourself if those features from Leopard and Santa Rosa platform are worth the wait.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I'm not letting my Dad buy any new Apple until Leopard is released.

I wonder if they are going to update the Mac Pro anytime soon with something other than the 8-core that nobody can afford.

Fortis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Well, my parents would buy the Leopard family pack for their 3 Macs at home, and I would be able to use the remaining 2 installs on my PB G4 and a Mac Pro if I bought one, so having Leopard pre-installed isn't a huge issue for me. Also, I thought the Santa Rosa platform didn't apply to the Mac Pro, as it's a chipset for the Intel Core line and Stoakley-Seaburg would be the new Xeon chipset line?

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Also, I thought the Santa Rosa platform didn't apply to the Mac Pro, as it's a chipset for the Intel Core line and Stoakley-Seaburg would be the new Xeon chipset line?

Sorry my bad then.:eek: I thought Santa Rosa platform would apply to all macs. Well then I say wait for Stoakley-Seaburg then.:)

Alpinism

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2005
I am hoping that NAB will introduce a *positive* change in the quad mac pro line. I think the Mac Pro quad is dued for a new makeover. I just hope that it is going to happen next sunday at NAB rather than in June. Realistically though, I think the updates will happen in June :(

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
I think the earliest we could see a GPU update is June with the release of 10.5 .. i believe we get Open GL 2.x with it, plus perhaps some new hardware better suited to make use of core animation. Thing is i only recall apple updating GPU options when theres a whole new system for them to go in.. but maybe like some ppl say this is the new apple where BTO is where the updates show up. I'm waiting for WWDC.

Fortis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
I think the earliest we could see a GPU update is June with the release of 10.5 .. i believe we get Open GL 2.x with it, plus perhaps some new hardware better suited to make use of core animation. Thing is i only recall apple updating GPU options when theres a whole new system for them to go in.. but maybe like some ppl say this is the new apple where BTO is where the updates show up. I'm waiting for WWDC.

As far as I understand, all the video cards offered in the current Mac Pro configuration are Open GL 2.0 complaint, aside from the Quadro, which is Open GL 1.5. I'm not exactly sure when and what path Apple will take with their video adapters after looking into this (and what version of Open GL Leopard will be sporting, for that matter).

Any more input on the Mac Pro that directly reflects my situation?

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Ok, well here's my situation...........

Given my situation, should I buy now, or hold out until the next revision of the Mac Pro is released? It's a hard decision because I don't feel like my money is being well-spent on an Apple product that has basically remained unchanged (in both price and configuration) since last August. I'm tearing my hair out over this decision, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

You are just making a speech, while pretending to ask a question. "Tearing your hair out..." Give me a break. You do not have a single 'bad' choice. They are all winners.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Honestly, I'm not trying to ask a rhetorical question. I just wanted to see what others would do in my situation.

You have to determine if you NEED, or just WANT the new hardware. I would imagine like myself u WANT a faster system, cuz if u NEEDED it and it was directly effecting your income u wouldnt have the luxury of sitting on the fence.

I'm due for new hardware, and frankly all the current options would blow my hardware away. I plan to sit on this next purchase for 4 yrs like i have with my current hardware. I'm choosing to wait till WWDC because I want the most from my investment and dont WANT to buy a system that is 9 months old. The studio i work at has the burden of keeping the hardware current. This is for home use, personal projects. There is little financial impact. Other than the desire to run and learn on the latest versions of apps to remain marketable. When soccer moms have better machines to check their email than I do to render a BRDF based shader its time for an update.

Alpinism

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2005
if u buy now, you are paying the same money for a 8-9 months old technology. It is time for a complete mac pro update from Apple soon. I gather since july Intel would drop price of their CPU, the money saved there could be used for gpu upgrades, rams, making 2.66 the base model ....etc. Plus you get the Leopard OS.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
What are some GPU's that Apple may add to the Mac Pro that are better than the ones currently offered?

They currently could replace the Nivida 7300 with a 7600.. the 8800 or 8600 would of been nice to see in mac form.

The Quardo 5600 and 4600 are out.

Buy June hopefully ATI will have shipped a R600 based card so the X2900XT would be nice to see. Apparently they r ready now but AMD is making them
delay.

So I would be most happy with a 8000 series nvidia or R600 based ATI option.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
what it comes down to, imho, is money....

do you use your mac to make money? if so, can you make money now with one?

if either answer is no, then wait.

me, i'm not...pulling the trigger very soon, but not until at least just after NAB.....

just in case :)

Cheers,
keebler

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Put me down as another waiting until WWDC.

It's so close, it would be stupid not to wait. And NAB also. Especially given how long the current line has been out, sans the octo core which I certainly don't need.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
Just like any technology purchase, if you need it, buy now, if you don't, wait :)

I learned the hard way, I needed it a long time ago, and still have waited. I will wait no more. Next monday, after NAB, I will submit my order. I can't wait another two months, as I need it for work. They are not going to update the processors, the only thing that MAY happen is the S-S conversion, and I don't think that will impact me too much. GPU, 10.5, etc, all upgradeable. I'm buying now because I NEED it. ask yourself, do you NEED it?

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
It sounds like you should wait. I am in almost the exact same boat as you. I can deal with what I have now but a Mac Pro would make my setup a lot easier. I also would be upset if I bought today and the models dropped in price and/or came stock with a better vid card, more ram, or whatever other new features. I barely have enough money and want to get the most out of it so I am waiting. I can't imagine June passes without some price changes and/or upgrades.

nurfen

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2007
I'm also in the exact same position.

I'm waiting until WWDC is over, and if there are no announced updates DIRECTLY after that, I'll order my Mac Pro (hopefully with some new specs after NAB or WWDC :) ).

Fortis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Thanks for the input guys; looks like I'll be waiting for the big Mac Pro revision.

Damn it, I wish I had a time machine like in Back to the Future where I could go into the future and see the entire Apple road map for the next 100 years :p (like how Biff made millions off the sports almanac that looked 50 years into the future).

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Thanks for the input guys; looks like I'll be waiting for the big Mac Pro revision.

Damn it, I wish I had a time machine like in Back to the Future where I could go into the future and see the entire Apple road map for the next 100 years :p (like how Biff made millions off the sports almanac that looked 50 years into the future).

Don't we all wish we could.

I'd go back in time and punch Bill Gates in the face before he released Windows.

It'd be strange to see Apple in 100 years. No Steve Jobs, god knows if there will be an Apple or Microsoft.

Well that was off-topic...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.