Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
Does anyone have any idea roughly how long the window is for being eligable for free/discount OS upgrades?

Say if you buy a May 1st and Leopard is released June 1st, would you be eligable? What was it like for Tiger?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
For Tiger, IIRC it was people who bought after the official release date announcement but before the actual release date were eligible. I don't remember any similar offering for iLife, but I could be mistaken.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I recall the same thing as above. Personally if I were waiting for Leopard I would want to get it right between times while the machine actually still comes with Tiger and either a drop-in of Leopard or a mail-in for minimal charge. If past releases are any indication I would not want Leopard until at least .1 or .2, probably later even.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I recall the same thing as above. Personally if I were waiting for Leopard I would want to get it right between times while the machine actually still comes with Tiger and either a drop-in of Leopard or a mail-in for minimal charge. If past releases are any indication I would not want Leopard until at least .1 or .2, probably later even.

Not "Wanting" Leopard until after a few updates have gone by makes little sense. How long is it going to take Apple to release those first few updates? I think days, maybe weeks. Is Leopard going to be hopelessly unstable in its original form? No. By the time you get your computer, and you find out there's something wrong with Leopard, and you run Software Update, there will probably be an update already released by Apple that will fix that problem.

I mean, Apple spends a lot of time and effort giving beta versions of their software to developers in an effort to make sure the OS works almost flawlessly as soon as it is released.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
For Tiger, IIRC it was people who bought after the official release date announcement but before the actual release date were eligible. I don't remember any similar offering for iLife, but I could be mistaken.

I'm sorry this is off-topic but..

Dumb user here..

WHAT...does IIRC mean ?

:eek:

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I remember when my son got an iMac it came with Tiger (10.4.2 was current then I believe) and it was far buggier than 10.3.9 that I was running. I didn't really get into Tiger until about 10.4.5 or .6 when it finally became stable enough and I converted. If I had bought a Mac with only Tiger on it I would have been very disappointed. To each his own, but I would have rather had Panther with the option of Tiger.

Not "Wanting" Leopard until after a few updates have gone by makes little sense. How long is it going to take Apple to release those first few updates? I think days, maybe weeks. Is Leopard going to be hopelessly unstable in its original form? No. By the time you get your computer, and you find out there's something wrong with Leopard, and you run Software Update, there will probably be an update already released by Apple that will fix that problem.

I mean, Apple spends a lot of time and effort giving beta versions of their software to developers in an effort to make sure the OS works almost flawlessly as soon as it is released.

spyderracer393

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
I remember when my son got an iMac it came with Tiger (10.4.2 was current then I believe) and it was far buggier than 10.3.9 that I was running. I didn't really get into Tiger until about 10.4.5 or .6 when it finally became stable enough and I converted. If I had bought a Mac with only Tiger on it I would have been very disappointed. To each his own, but I would have rather had Panther with the option of Tiger.

I am pretty sure Tiger became stable and was ready really ready when it hit 10.4.3 - at least that is when they had a huge update with new features and bug fixes...

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Well, I suppose the best case scenario is to get both a Tiger and Leopard CD, but I don't think it's worth risking having to buy Leopard for.

And considering Leopard will almost certainly come out with new Macs, which will almost certainly not be available without Leopard pre-installed, it would certainly not be worth risking getting stuck with an old rev a week or two before hardware upgrades.

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
Okay.. maybe its just me... but i made the big switch to apple about 24 months ago.. i think tiger was just released and It had no stability issues.. is it just the windows user in me? My pc was pretty bad...

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Okay.. maybe its just me... but i made the big switch to apple about 24 months ago.. i think tiger was just released and It had no stability issues.. is it just the windows user in me? My pc was pretty bad...

when I bought my G5 imac, OS 10.4 had just been released.....never had any stablity issues myself

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State

Same for me with Panther and Tiger. My first mac was 10.3.1. By the time Tiger came out, I had many Macs to upgrade. I did not hesitate and never once regretted it. I can only surmise that the people who did have issues were using different SW/HW than I was. When Leopard is released I intend to pounce on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.