Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Apr 7, 2007, 03:40 PM   #1
bluewire
macrumors member

Can a game bring on a 360 redlight of death?

I bought a 360 a week ago and bought a used game. The used game will freeze the system every so often. When that happens, sometimes when I reboot the 360, I get the red rights of death. If I disconnect both sides of the power supply, the 360 will reboot ok. I don't freeze on any other games or streaming movies over to the 360.

Yes its a brand new 360.

Anyone heard of a problem like this? Or is my new 360 slowly dying?
bluewire is offline   0
Old Apr 7, 2007, 04:04 PM   #2
dukebound85
macrumors P6

well i have had to return 3 xbox 360s due to issues. the last one froze up on vegas and then red ring of doom popped up. then it wouldnt start but somehow it did start again. then it scratched a game then stopped working. now we have a special rep with ms 360 dept to help us out. bteer refund me or let me get an elite at no cost

VERY frustrating as each replacement doesnt save your marketplace pts or downloaded things you got with them....even if you try to save it all on the hd it doesnt work. also im losing months of my live service due to it being repaierd and they dont want to refund that

then again i have never ever had an issue with any nintendo console i have had and ive had every one including handhelds. even my old regular xbox crapped out on me just after a year
dukebound85 is offline   0
Old Apr 7, 2007, 07:54 PM   #3
EM87
macrumors regular

I'm on my third 360 now, first one's DVD drive crapped itself while playing Gears, the read speed would go from extremely fast to slow to fast ect, second one had the ring of death, it happened when I turned the console on though, not while playing a game and the third one is still going strong.
EM87 is offline   0
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:46 PM   #4
dominicansrul93
Banned

get a ps3

Dude the 360 has been out for over a year and it has a million problems. I have a ps3 and have not had any problems with it so far. Also I have 2 friends with wii's and they are working flawless.M$ sucks!
dominicansrul93 is offline   0
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:12 AM   #5
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicansrul93 View Post
Dude the 360 has been out for over a year and it has a million problems. I have a ps3 and have not had any problems with it so far. Also I have 2 friends with wii's and they are working flawless.M$ sucks!
how come the majority of the time i go to best buy the ps3 is all froze up?

nintendos on the otherhand are amazing
dukebound85 is offline   0
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:44 AM   #6
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
There are many people who've never had a problem with their 360. I'm one of them. The PS3 is not immune to hardware issues either.

Is something wrong with the disk?
Old Apr 8, 2007, 01:40 AM   #7
urista
macrumors newbie

the only time i've ever had a game mess up my 360 was when i played it too much. the disc is probably just faulty.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 04:27 PM   #8
steamboat26
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to steamboat26 Send a message via Yahoo to steamboat26
Given the widespread problems with the PS2, I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of PS3s started to break in a year or so...
steamboat26 is offline   0
Old Apr 8, 2007, 04:34 PM   #9
zap2
macrumors 604

Quote:

Yes, the Xbox has had some problems, however you should be fine now. The Wii and PS3 so far have been fine, and mostly likely will stay that way, but I feel safe buying a new XBox 360, not an used one.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 06:44 PM   #10
drummerbooker14
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to drummerbooker14 Send a message via Skype™ to drummerbooker14
hmm. when i first bought gears of war after a few seconds i got the rings of death. i let it cool off, but it kept reoccurring and i had to send it in.they replaced the console (with the current one which has a CPU update), and no more problems.
drummerbooker14 is offline   0
Old Apr 8, 2007, 06:54 PM   #11
jaw04005
macrumors 601

The problem with the 360 is that Microsoft replaces faulty consoles with refurbished "launch" consoles. This just leads to more faulty consoles. It's like a neverending cycle.

It's almost easier to just get a replacement warranty from your local retailer instead of dealing with Microsoft support.
jaw04005 is offline   0
Old Apr 9, 2007, 07:42 AM   #12
thegreatunknown
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewire View Post
I bought a 360 a week ago and bought a used game. The used game will freeze the system every so often. When that happens, sometimes when I reboot the 360, I get the red rights of death. If I disconnect both sides of the power supply, the 360 will reboot ok. I don't freeze on any other games or streaming movies over to the 360.

Yes its a brand new 360.

Anyone heard of a problem like this? Or is my new 360 slowly dying?

mine started freezing randomly for about a month (however in different games). After about a month of this frustration I turned it on to find the red lights of death and the thing never spoke to me again. It was over a year old.
thegreatunknown is offline   0
Old Apr 9, 2007, 09:22 AM   #13
bluewire
macrumors member

UPDATE: I took it back. If I unplugged the power brick and let it sit for awhile (20 minutes) it would sometimes reboot. The freezing was probably due to a scratched disc which would send it until the red light cycle.

Long story short, I got another one. No problems so far. Manufacture date of 9/21/06

BTW, connect 360 ROKS!
bluewire is offline   0
Old Apr 9, 2007, 09:32 AM   #14
zero2dash
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Give it time.
...and good luck getting it repaired free of cost once you're past the 90 day warranty 'cause it ain't gonna happen. And given Sony's tremendous track record of well built consoles that never fail (heavy sarcasm), trust me...your console will develop problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
The problem with the 360 is that Microsoft replaces faulty consoles with refurbished "launch" consoles. This just leads to more faulty consoles. It's like a neverending cycle.

It's almost easier to just get a replacement warranty from your local retailer instead of dealing with Microsoft support.
I know they initially did this, but they don't any more.
I had to send mine in for repair a month ago and received my same (repaired) console back. I read somewhere online that someone even tested this by putting marks in certain spots on their console before sending for repairs, and the console they received back was the same one with the marks.

It's unfortunate that 360s have this issue to begin with, but at least their repair center seems to be on the ball. And at least they extended warranties a year, for free.
zero2dash is offline   0
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:26 AM   #15
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2dash View Post
I know they initially did this, but they don't any more. I had to send mine in for repair a month ago and received my same (repaired) console back. I read somewhere online that someone even tested this by putting marks in certain spots on their console before sending for repairs, and the console they received back was the same one with the marks.
I sent my third 360 back in early Feburary, and received yet another "Nov. 2005" refurbished launch console back. This marks my third refurbished console. The original unit, which I purchased in May of 2006, only lasted a few weeks (Spring 06 update killed it).

Not to mention, all three replacement units have had the noisy dvd drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2dash View Post
It's unfortunate that 360s have this issue to begin with, but at least their repair center seems to be on the ball. And at least they extended warranties a year, for free.
It's a step, but an extended warranty is not much of a consolation for having your gaming system in for "repairs" 3/4 of the time you've owned it.
jaw04005 is offline   0
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:45 AM   #16
n8236
macrumors 65816

According to my cousin, yes, playing a game can bring u the 3 rings of death.

He has had his modded 360 for as long as I can remember and all his burned games worked fine until he played GRAW2. He read on some message boards that a small number of individuals like himself got their 360s shots. I don't know whether it is just GRAW2 or any other game that might give u the red light of death, but what I do know is that it is hardly working.

He has performed a variety of tricks used to prevent the ring of death (ie. cloth over it to warm it and the blow dryer method which requires opening the system). While it has had some success, it still consistently crashes.

I don't promote what he is doing (which is buying a new one and exchanging the old), but it's one way to get a working system.
n8236 is offline   0
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:47 AM   #17
zero2dash
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
It's a step, but an extended warranty is not much of a consolation for having your gaming system in for "repairs" 3/4 of the time you've owned it.
Mine was bought Nov'06 (week before the Wii launch). Manufacture date of May'06.

Started repeatedly freezing late Feb/early March. Sent in for repair 2nd week of March, received back 6 days later. Same system...same serial #, manufacture date, same drive, physical characteristics (few minor marks/scuffs here and there so I knew it was mine ).

Have faith that if yours has more problems you'll get yours back...no more refurbs.

If you're ticked off about the dvd drive, go buy a new one with a manufacture date of Dec'06 or newer; those have the new BenQ drive which is reportedly a quiet drive (gen3 360 basically). As for the heat problems, no one knows when those will be rectified. Everyone hoped the Elite (and regular models aftward) would be a 65nm process meaning the heat problems should be gone, but...no 65nm update so the problems remain.

I'm...meh about 360 problems.
Mine broke, they fixed it and I got it back.
Maybe I'm faded because this is my first problem (and hopefully last), but...I'm "whole" in the sense of I have a working console again at no extra cost to me/repaired for free.

I can understand where you're coming from though.
If I was in your shoes I'd be demanding a brand new system for all my troubles, but who knows whether they'd give in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8236 View Post
According to my cousin, yes, playing a game can bring u the 3 rings of death.

He has had his modded 360 for as long as I can remember and all his burned games worked fine until he played GRAW2. He read on some message boards that a small number of individuals like himself got their 360s shots. I don't know whether it is just GRAW2 or any other game that might give u the red light of death, but what I do know is that it is hardly working.

He has performed a variety of tricks used to prevent the ring of death (ie. cloth over it to warm it and the blow dryer method which requires opening the system). While it has had some success, it still consistently crashes.

I don't promote what he is doing (which is buying a new one and exchanging the old), but it's one way to get a working system.
Considering he's using a modded system with illegally copied games, I show no sympathy.

But anyway - games do not make a 360 RoD. (ring of death)
Mine RoD'd while sitting at the dashboard with no one logged in and no games in.
The two (RoD + games) are not related.
Mine froze while playing Alien Hominid, dvds, disc games, games on the HD, HD attached, HD removed, accounts logged in, no one logged in, etc.
zero2dash is offline   0
Old Apr 9, 2007, 07:17 PM   #18
EM87
macrumors regular

My Xbox 360 has broke twice as I said and both times I have received back the same console, manufacture date Nov 2005 and same serial no.

I am really disappointed with the quality of the Xbox 360, it is the only console that I own (I have had 7 in total) that has needed to be repaired, even my PS2 I got a month after launch has not needed repairs and is still going strong today (I do clean the DVD lens every now and then though with the good old cotton tip and alcohol). Nintendo console have been the best so far for me, out of the four that I won, never had a problem with any of them except sometimes with the NES and SNES I have problems getting the games to work.
EM87 is offline   0
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:43 AM   #19
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
I'm not sure - I was convinced that Crackdown was responsible for the DVD drive in my 360 packing in, but I don't have anything more conclusive than finding a lot of people mentioning they were playing the game when they experienced disk unreadable errors. But it's possible if I searched for any game title & "disk unreadable" I'd find an equal number.

(It's worth noting a "disk unreadable" error on a 360 can be the result of a failing DVD drive, rather than a damaged disk.)

Considering the number of console gamers here, I'd love to start a poll to see how many own each console and what percentage of each has had troubles with them. Unscientific I know, but it'd be interesting (until it inevitably deteriorated into a flame war).
Old Apr 10, 2007, 06:15 PM   #20
EM87
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
I'm not sure - I was convinced that Crackdown was responsible for the DVD drive in my 360 packing in, but I don't have anything more conclusive than finding a lot of people mentioning they were playing the game when they experienced disk unreadable errors. But it's possible if I searched for any game title & "disk unreadable" I'd find an equal number.

(It's worth noting a "disk unreadable" error on a 360 can be the result of a failing DVD drive, rather than a damaged disk.)

Considering the number of console gamers here, I'd love to start a poll to see how many own each console and what percentage of each has had troubles with them. Unscientific I know, but it'd be interesting (until it inevitably deteriorated into a flame war).
When my drive failed I got a message on the screen when ever I inserted a game that said "To play this game, please insert in into an Xbox 360 console". I almost peed myself when that first come up.

Yeah a poll would be good, just ask a few mods to keep an eye on it and it should be alright.
EM87 is offline   0
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:16 AM   #21
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
I don't believe my sister's xbox 360 has had any trouble, although the DVD drive is LOUD. I guess she is just lucky. I have had very little to no trouble with any of my gaming consoles from Nintendo (SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii) or Sony (PSX, PS2 or PS3). The only problem was a minor one with the PS2, but I fixed that myself with less than 20 minutes of work on it. All of my systems are launch systems.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 06:13 AM   #22
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM87 View Post
When my drive failed I got a message on the screen when ever I inserted a game that said "To play this game, please insert in into an Xbox 360 console". I almost peed myself when that first come up.

Yeah a poll would be good, just ask a few mods to keep an eye on it and it should be alright.
Yeah, I saw that one too.

What worried me most was having to explain these errors to tech support - "yes, I know it said to insert in a 360, but it already was in one. Yes, I'm sure!" and "yes, it said the disk may be damaged or unreadable, but unless all 7 of my games decided to spontaneously scratch themselves at the same time, the disks aren't the problem". Especially to a non-local support representative who wouldn't understand my accent perfectly.

It was funny actually how the DVD drive died, piece by piece. First the music tracks starting skipping onto the next song after playing only 5 seconds or so (or not playing at all), next the buildings/ground started disappearing so eventually I was running on air bumping into invisibile buildings, then it all went tits up.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games