Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
mmmmmmm very clever:

Supermarket firm Somerfield has apologised after it said Easter eggs were to celebrate the "birth" of Jesus.
Ironically the public relations slip-up came as it sought to publicise a survey suggesting a high level of ignorance about Easter's religious significance.

Bosses at the company blamed the blunder on a typing error in a press release sent out earlier this week.

"It's a mistake. We hold up our hands to that," said Pete Williams, whose office was responsible for the blunder.

Apology

Mr Williams, who referred to himself as the "shame-faced head of PR" at the firm, said the member of his team whose mistake appeared to back-up the survey's findings about the public's poor religious knowledge was "very embarrassed."

"This was a simple and genuine typo and for that we apologise," he said.

What the firm meant to say, he explained, was that the eggs were a symbol of the resurrection or "rebirth" of Jesus after his crucifixion.

Pollsters for the chain found that while 75% of people would be spending the holiday weekend with friends and family, only one in five would be going to church.

linky

This is where we need an applause emote, like this one:
applause.gif

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
article said:
Pollsters for the chain found that while 75% of people would be spending the holiday weekend with friends and family, only one in five would be going to church.
Is that 1 in 5 regular church-goers that would be going to church today, or 1 in 5 people, period? I'd be surprised if 1 in 5 people even go to church at all.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
It's not like the Easter celebration has anything to do with Jesus. It was adopted by the Catholic church so they could convert people from other religions without having to make them give up their holidays.

The roots can be traced all the way to Babylon; they had the exact same holiday, thousands of years before Jesus.

What do chocolate eggs have to do with Jesus, after all? They were part of a celebration to a fertility goddess. Unless someone can show me that Jesus talked about eggs somewhere.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
It's not like the Easter celebration has anything to do with Jesus. It was adopted by the Catholic church so they could convert people from other religions without having to make them give up their holidays.

The roots can be traced all the way to Babylon; they had the exact same holiday, thousands of years before Jesus.

What do chocolate eggs have to do with Jesus, after all? They were part of a celebration to a fertility goddess. Unless someone can show me that Jesus talked about eggs somewhere.

well its the convergence of the two that caused the association of the easter 'bunny' with Jesus.

but saying that its about the 'birth' of Jesus isn't all that far wrong, i mean in all technicality its about the 're-birth' of Jesus... no?

/shrug i'm not a Christian/Catholic anymore so i don't know

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
Jesus had a lot of bad luck when you think about it - born at Christmas, died at Easter...

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

This may be true, but Jesus was crucified on the Friday before Easter (his resurrection) which occurred in April.

Jesus had a lot of bad luck when you think about it - born at Christmas, died at Easter...
Just for clarification, he died on Good Friday which is the Friday before Easter.

And no, I don't celebrate his ressurection with Easter eggs or the blasted Easter bunny. I would refer to that as the bastardization and commercialization of a religious holiday. Pagan rituals always make there way into Christian holidays.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
This may be true, but Jesus was crucified on the Friday before Easter (his resurrection) which occurred in April.

Just for clarification, he died on Good Friday which is the Friday before Easter.

And no, I don't celebrate his ressurection with Easter eggs or the blasted Easter bunny. I would refer to that as the bastardization and commercialization of a religious holiday. Pagan rituals always make there way into Christian holidays.

I gave up on Easter when no one could explain where the bunny was getting the eggs.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Luckily South Park has provided me with the connection between Jesus and chocolate Easter eggs...

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
As an aside, there are more than a few scholars that think Jesus was more likely born near Passover too. Something about the shepherds being out in the fields with their flocks at night instead of huddled in caves around Bethlehem as well as other clues.

And while several pagan traditions have been incorporated into Easter (and other Christian holidays) over time, it's kinda unfair to say that Passover existed before Judaism or Easter before Jesus. They are both pretty distinctive religious observances even if other earlier religions do celebrate a spring holiday.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you go into the history section of a bookstore, you won't find much on Jesus and Easter. If you go into the Children's Fiction section of a bookstore, you'll likely find tonnes of books about Easter.

I find that kind of fitting. :p

I gave up on Easter when no one could explain where the bunny was getting the eggs.

The egg was already there. There was no chicken before it.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
Easter and Jesus... makes me think of the Robin Williams skit:

"Here's my one question: how do you get crucifixion resurrection, and then chocolate bunnies, colored eggs? Wild stretch! Even kids are going "rabbits don't lay eggs... this is a real stretch, where are you going with this?"

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
the significance of the eggs, bunnies, chicks, etc. is that they are symbols of fertility, and by extension, rebirth. There's no direct connection between Jesus and eggs, and clearly there's some paganism tucked in to the holiday as it exists now, but I don't see how that in any way diminishes the religious significance for those who want to celebrate it as a religious holiday.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
the significance of the eggs, bunnies, chicks, etc. is that they are symbols of fertility, and by extension, rebirth. There's no direct connection between Jesus and eggs, and clearly there's some paganism tucked in to the holiday as it exists now,

Good point.

but I don't see how that in any way diminishes the religious significance for those who want to celebrate it as a religious holiday.

Quite true, I completely agree with you QCassidy352. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.