Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgfc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
Hi all
Last night instead of shutting down my Macbook Pro, i closed the lid and expected the Pro to just hibernate as usual, and yes it did. But when i woke it up this morning the keyboard and trackpad didnt work. I have tried everything from restart, forced shutdown, and even the SMC thing to reset the Pro, but nothing works, it just goes to the login page and i cant do much else there besides from shutting down...
Does anyone know what can be wrong or to be done for this???
And since its easter, no support is open but i need my Pro for work...:p
Thanks

J-Mgfc

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Why won't it let you log in? Does it come up with an error or does the login box shake like you've got an incorrect password? What's plugged in? Do you have third party RAM? What apps were running when you closed the lid?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Do you have a USB keyboard and mouse handy, even some of the Microsoft variety? if you do, have you tried plugging those in to see what happens?

Even if it doesn't bring the built in keyboard/trackpad to life, it might at least let you work on your Mac until support opens tomorrow.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Why won't it let you log in? Does it come up with an error or does the login box shake like you've got an incorrect password?

Well the OP did say his k/b doesn't work so that might explain why it won't let him log in ;)

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
Sometimes external USB devices are disconnected by error, and since the keyboard is attached to the logicboard by USB, perhaps something similar has happened.
Try to shut down the computer, disconnect the mag-safe, take out the battery, push and hold the power button for ~5 sec (this should reset the PMU), plug it back in, restart.
Maybe it helps...

mgfc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
Hi again

Well, i found an old keyboard (w Usb) at a friends house and plugged that in as well as my ext. mouse. The Pro lets me log in w these external devices but the k/b and trackpad are still dead. I have tried to reset the PMU but nothing is working so i have decided to just buy an external HD and move all the files to that one then let the techsupport have a go at the Pro. But now a new problem has arise, i only have 2 usb ports... and i need them for the kb and mouse...
Does anyone know if there are split usb-ports that lets you plug two on one?
And thanks for all the quick replies

Oh, and i dont think i was runnning anything unusual when i closed the lid, just itunes and firefox. and i unplugged it so the battery would run dead.

j-mgfc

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
Hi again

Well, i found an old keyboard (w Usb) at a friends house and plugged that in as well as my ext. mouse. The Pro lets me log in w these external devices but the k/b and trackpad are still dead. I have tried to reset the PMU but nothing is working so i have decided to just buy an external HD and move all the files to that one then let the techsupport have a go at the Pro. But now a new problem has arise, i only have 2 usb ports... and i need them for the kb and mouse...
Does anyone know if there are split usb-ports that lets you plug two on one?
And thanks for all the quick replies

Oh, and i dont think i was runnning anything unusual when i closed the lid, just itunes and firefox. and i unplugged it so the battery would run dead.

j-mgfc

If you're going to buy an external HD, why not just buy a FireWire drive? They run faster anyway...

mgfc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
aaa yes, thank you NJuul!
Didnt think about that!

btw, do you have any suggestions?

thanks
-j-mgfc

Inside_line

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
U.S.A.
This ever get resolved? I have the same problem on mine now. The USB ports will only detect my powered USB hub, so I can't even plug ext kb and mouse in directly. Bluetooth is also "unavailable". I've seen some other threads but with no solutions, there are people having similar problems related to Leopard, but I'm on OS 10.4.11.

geologist

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
fix

This just happened to me, ten min ago. The solution that i found works is there is a small wire ribbon that is located under the battery. It is brown or orange color. with the plug in, take the bat. out and press on the uplifted brown ribbon wire and press the caps lock button. if your key pad works, place a small piece of tape on it and it should work

nneptune

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
This just happened to me, ten min ago. The solution that i found works is there is a small wire ribbon that is located under the battery. It is brown or orange color. with the plug in, take the bat. out and press on the uplifted brown ribbon wire and press the caps lock button. if your key pad works, place a small piece of tape on it and it should work

Holy cow!

I don't know how you figured this out, but it just fixed my problem completely!

I thought I'd have to wait and make a call to Apple Care in the morning., but you helped fix it! Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.